Hookha T-80 Air Pump setting

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have T-80 air pump that I use for hookha diving down to about 10 - 15 feet. Its been a while since I used it. When the motor is turning the flywheel of the pump, its pumping air but not enough to use with the regulator. Do I screw the adjustment in or out to get more air pressure? Can't find the instructions for the T-80 and thought somebody out there might know how to set the compressor pop-off valve. ??? Thank you. ;D

Upvote 0

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
Do you have what's called a "surge (or reserve) tank" between your compressor and diving hoses?

The T80 should support 2 divers at 30 feet if you use the surge tank.

A surge tank is merely a holding tank usually about 2 cubic feet or more. You let the pressure build up in the tank until the pop valve goes off on your compressor and then you should be good to go.

Go here http://www.keeneeng.com/pdfFiles/full catalog.pdf

and do a search on RT1.

This should solve your problem.

BTW the pop valve should go off at about 45PSI.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

TM

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Oh yes, I have a reserve tank on my unit. It like the American Express card, don;t leave home without it. Can't tell you how many times, its saved me when the motor ran out of gas or the belt popped off. The pop-off valve on top, I believe you screw in to increase the pressure or back it out to increase it. That's the question, what is the adjustment instructions? I tried to pull up the Thomas company but I guess they don't have a direct URL for questions. Thanks for your input.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be a brass lock ring on the threaded shaft. You screw it in to increase the pressure BUT many things can affect your pump. Have you cleaned the air filters,remove and soap insanely and rub them like crazy rinse good and air dry. Check your ball bearing in the top to see if the gold tee is worn and lopsided,is the ball cup seat worn out??. If the reed valves inside the head are dirty and corroded you'll never get enough air. The rubber head pump gasket may be cracked too.MANY things to go wrong BUT a $20 kit has all the parts to make it new again.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some are adjustable, some can not be... Is there air constantly releasing from the pop-off? How about pulling the valve on the pop-off and releasing it.. Does it stop leaking air then? If it's not the pop-off then I'd say a bad or stuck reed (valve)... Try (as reco Keene or your local auto or hardware that sells compressors for a new pop-off.. The adjustable comes with 3 different lbs rated springs.. 45psi

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hoser John: Who sells the $20 rebuild kit, Keene? Probably what it needs. Pump is over 20 years old. Thanks! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread