Dealing with ticks

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone have any advice for keeping the ticks away? They're really really bad in California right now with all this warm weather were having. I'm seeing bunches of them on the plants while hiking. Tomorrow I'm planning on going off the trails into the brush and I hate those little blood suckers. This may sound a bit crazy but I'm going to try wrapping white garbage bags around my legs so I can see them crawling up me! Haha if you see a guy stumbling around the woods with poofy garbage bags on his legs tomorrow that's me.. Also anyone know if any type of repellent works for ticks??

Upvote 0

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get some military pants, blousing straps and high boots, wear long sleeves with a hood. Gloves. Yup, your gonna be hot. But safe.

GittyRivers

Aug 2, 2013
Grants Pass Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter tracker IV, and now Bounty Hunter Gold Digger and Bounty Hunter PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Repell 100

image-594955618.jpg

Is best for Mosquitos says will work for ticks too. I buy it at Walmart camping section. Hope works for you.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Long sleeve shirts and pants, collar up, and mini bungee or tape the pant legs. Bad idea with the bags- dehydration and you also increase your heat signature which attracts the little buggers.
If you do get bit keep the tick. If you see a bullseye develop around the bite get to the doc pronto and bring the tick. They will test the tick for Lymes disease and put you on antibiotics, that if started soon enough should keep you from getting the disease. The last tick I got ended up having Lymes I did the antibiotics and so far I'm good to go. I have a buddy I work with who didn't know about the antibiotics and he is in a very bad way. Also if you suspect you may have Lymes, you need the better test which if memory serves is the fecal test and very expensive. My buddy took the generic test 10 or so times, every time results were negative. First time they did the other one it came back positive. Ticks got bad JuJu don't mess around with them.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Once limes disease sets in it is for life. You can only manage the symptoms. Go in as soon as the bullseye appears or suffer for life. Removal requires small tweezers. Grab from the head/neck area next to your skin not the body as that squeezes fluid from the tick into your bloodstream. I am thankful there are no ticks or fleas where I live in NV.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang! I only mine in shorts!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Easiest way to get them off of you is to take a cigarette (unlit of course) and get the end wet. Let it set for a couple of minutes and then squeeze the juice out onto the tic. The juice will cause the little bugger to back off so he can be removed easily.

One trick we used in the Army to keep them and chiggers off of us was to swallow some match heads. Take a couple each day for a week before you go out and then a couple every day you're out in the bush. The tics and chiggers don't like the Sulfur taste so they won't make a meal out of you. Of course I haven't seen paper book matches in a long time and ya don't want to use the wooden ones.

Another trick if you're wearing tall boots is to put a flea and tic collar around each ankle. Don't let it come into contact with your skin though!!!!!

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think we have many of those lyme ticks N8. I have been bitten dozens of times over the years with no ill effect. Or my immune system kicks it out. Brush the pants legs often and you will keep most from biting.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once limes disease sets in it is for life. You can only manage the symptoms. Go in as soon as the bullseye appears or suffer for life. Removal requires small tweezers. Grab from the head/neck area next to your skin not the body as that squeezes fluid from the tick into your bloodstream. I am thankful there are no ticks or fleas where I live in NV.

What part of Nevada you in ? I've been all over northern Nevada and find ticks everywhere, mostly in spring/summer. The record is finding twelve ticks AFTER I got home !

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tuck pants into boots, Lt. Wt. long sleeve T shirt under under Lt. Wt. long sleeve button up "military type" shirt, brush/snake chaps over BDUs and Lt. Wt. breathable mechanics gloves. Spray outer layer with Permethrin. Those anti-cling dryer sheets(Bounce) will repel and kill ticks so sometimes I'll rubber band them around pant and shirt cuffs or drop one down the banana hammock to protect "the package"

Last edited:
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies everyone! I don't have too much to work with I think I'm just going to have to load up on repellant and brush off often. I need to stock up on outdoor supplies.. Don't even have hiking boots.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shopping for boots? That's easy....Danner

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
eucalyptus oil works great , it's what i use on my dogs and myself, get a little spray bottle with a Fine Mist Spray, spray down clothes everywhere, good to go

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen to REPEL a mix of eucalyptus and lemon oils. They may jump on ya but 1 good whiff and them nasty lil'buggers get away fast. I eat plenty of garlic for them mosquitos and they hover but don't land. DEET will rot your liver and eat your brain. Just spray some on your glasses or cameras and watch the destruction begin and you put that POISON on your skin,not only no but LL no. John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tea tree oil, pants tucked in, they mainly come from the brush rather than climbing from the ground up....worse where there are more deer especially where they bed down. When I hit a clear spot in the brush I check really well and brush off my pants legs and do the" get the hell offa' me dance " if I see them or not. Deer ticks that carry LYME disease are almost microscopic....you can get bit and lose the tick before and not even know it.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
eucalyptus oil works great , it's what i use on my dogs and myself, get a little spray bottle with a Fine Mist Spray, spray down clothes everywhere, good to go

Just don't get near any bee hives with that Eucalyptus oil! It drives bees nutz for some reason. My dad and I found that out the hard way. I was faster than my dad so I didn't get stung. Can't say the same for the old man though....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread