A season of fear...

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This last week has been somewhat troublesome. Though the weather has been forgiving for us prospectors I haven't been able to make any real use of it. My intended work area is to dangerous to get to. The bedrock is frozen and very slippery. And the cliffs to steep. I spent a few day's trying to find alternative routes but with no luck. Anyway soon I will hike out the inflatable Kayak. there is no other way it seems. Anyway we will see how it works out.
Anyway I have also contacted the Auburn State Recreation Area and the Mergen North Fork Preserve.. The ASRA as of now still allows sluicing. But that it.. Only allowed to works gravel bars. and not for profit.. Now the Mergen North Fork Preserve has no tolerance for mining. Mergen North Fork Preserve Now the fact that the ASRA leads one to believe that the whole Lower NF American river is under their management is of great concern. This could not be farther from the truth! I fear that recreational prospecting between Yankee Jims Bridge and Iowa Hill Bridge is on the verge of extinction. Anyway Information/research on this subject is hard to get exspeacialy any real straight answers. Though I can not predict the future but unfortunately I suspect strongly that this spring/summer drastic changes will take place in the area. I fear the worst. Oh well .. More land taken from the people!! Anyway pretty recently I have been under some scrutiny for my videos and my prospecting methods and the fact that I MAY OR MAY NOT prospect for profit. Now I have no idea what is to become of this if anything. I am of the firm belief that my use of hand tools is extremely fair and have no intention on stopping. Unfortunatly I am starting to feel a backlash from my videos. Now let be said my prospecting methods are my own one should fully research what is legal in their area.. Just because you see me engaged in a paticuliar activity in a certain area doesn't mean that it is legal or condoned. I do not encourage any criminal activity. I apologize for any misleading I have done as it is not my intention. Anyway for me this is of some concern. I have yet to know fully the extent I could be pursued because of my videos but I figure time will tell. Crazy days for sure. Anyway I will just continue to do what I do.

The end of May I am going to Alaska and it is quite likely I will stay. I am hoping I can find a compromise here in California but unfortunately things are not getting better but worse. I only wish to make a living doing something I love. Oh well Time has a habit of figuring stuff out.. Anyway
As always I hope everyone is having a good year and finding some good gold.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not familiar with any Active Claims on the NF American River. I would be very interested in knowing where these claims are if any.

I've already pointed out there are claims on the North Fork at Iowa Hill Bridge and just below Yankee Jim Bridge right on the river. There are claims just above the mouth of Shirttail, Canyon Creek and many more.

If you spend some time researching where there is ground open to claim and what parts are already claimed you will see there are really good areas open to you. A good part of the Iowa Hill road right on Iowa Hill has open ground. Good ground just off Garrett Road, Sawtooth Road, Elliot Ranch Road, Humbug Creek, Sailor Canyon, Wildcat Canyon and Tadpole Creek to mention just a few. All known producing gold regions. The possibilities are endless up there.

You have good bedrocking skills but you could be more successful if you worked on your research skills while you are waiting for better weather. Plan for prospecting in areas that are new to you. After doing the research and footwork prospecting those areas I think you will find you will have more options and interesting possibilities always before you. We try to keep at least three good prospects in our pocket at any given time so when the paystreak plays out or the weather changes we can move on to another productive area.

Pick a known gold producing area, get the master title plat for that area and begin your claims research on the LR2000 and move on to the County Recorders office before you enter a new area to prospect and you can use your on the ground time to better effect. You won't be surprised by closures, private lands and pre-existing claims. You will be surprised at how much good placer ground is open to you.

Alaska has much better land status tools available on the internet. Most of the new ground you would be exploring will involve State leases. Different game up there. Just like everywhere else you go land status, weather, access and expense are the limiting factors. A shorter season, rougher conditions, less access to needed materials and much greater expense will be your new challenges there. No place is perfect.

There is a lot of good gold ground in the Western States but the reason each deposit is still there is because no one has yet solved the problems inherent in recovering the gold. That's our job as prospectors - find the gold and solve the problems with taking it for ourselves.

Good luck to you wherever you prospect Marshall.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread