Last minute day trip to Mineral bar area

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning kind of last minute day trip to check out the location some of you went on the last un official TN Weekend to the mineral bar area. I'm willing to hike in as far as necessary to get away from the heavily trampled areas.

Any tips on upstream or downstream? I'm still pinpointing/researching to finalize details. Is there any private property/claims to watch out for?

Anyone experienced in the area care to join?

Upvote 0

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ DD Coil, 30" BGT Prospector, Blue bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was one of the ones who went out the other weekend... 2 of us went about a quarter/half mile or so down river from the bridge, the other 2 went another half mile or so. No claims to speak of, if you plan on hiking in a ways, you'll have some boulder hopping to do after the quarter/half mile we stopped at. So if your planning on bringing a sluice etc, that area might not be feasible. Went there the next day with the family and stayed basically right underneath the bridge. Got a couple flakes, but obviously that area is pretty worked over.

Other than that the weather was warmer than expected, and the scenery is really worth stopping and taking in at times. Hope that helps, be safe and get gold!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bnugget

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I am bringing a sluice but I also have others coming along so we will work as team to get back there I guess. Sounds fun, Excited to get to a new location.

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The river will be quite a bit higher this weekend as opposed to last. Expect 200-300 cfs vs 40 cfs last weekend. FYI, last night it peaked at about 800 cfs... Hardly enough to replenish any flood gold. A true "flood" on the NFA would be flows greater than about 20,000 cfs, which seems to happen every few years.

L.G.

bazookagoldtrap

Aug 27, 2013
Coloma, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The river will be quite a bit higher this weekend as opposed to last. Expect 200-300 cfs vs 40 cfs last weekend. FYI, last night it peaked at about 800 cfs... Hardly enough to replenish any flood gold. A true "flood" on the NFA would be flows greater than about 20,000 cfs, which seems to happen every few years.

L.G.

Remember January 1997?

Chris - BGC

bazookagoldtrap

Aug 27, 2013
Coloma, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, I had just graduated high school year prior, that was 1st yr of college. No Clue :)

Water was spilling OVER the bridge at Chili Bar and the water was 5 feet below the underside of the 49 bridge in Coloma. It was epic, propane tanks and trailers floating down the river. Which is still nothing compared to the flood of 1860-61... look it up

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bnugget, think I'm going to try and get up there tomorro. you decide which way your headin ? think i'm going to take a day off from my gravel bar and explore some different area. Probably upstream, Stephens trail to ???? always like meetin Tnet members, I'll look downstream and say hello,

Good to know about the flow increasing, kind of interested to go take a look....It's been LOW & SLOW....

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man BG, that would have been a site ! maybe I do remember something from that time, I just had to double check the Yr, but I do remember the flood in Yosemite in 97... used to do a lot of campin & backpacking w/ my stepdad. I will always remember seeing those hi water marks when we went, probably summer 97 or 98?? Crazy.

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Remember January 1997?

Chris - BGC

The January 1st 1997 flood was estimated at 100,000 cfs at Chili Bar! There was concern about losing the bridge. The River Store in Lotus has a bunch of pictures on display of the 97' flood.

Dec. of 2012 I went over to the NFA and Clementine and was in awe as 40,000 cfs cascaded over the dam and shook the ground!

The highest I have ever kayaked the South Fork is 10,000 cfs in 2011. If you swim at that flow or above you have a high likelihood of flush drowning.

L.G.

OP
OP
Bnugget

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bnugget, think I'm going to try and get up there tomorro. you decide which way your headin ? think i'm going to take a day off from my gravel bar and explore some different area. Probably upstream, Stephens trail to ???? always like meetin Tnet members, I'll look downstream and say hello, Good to know about the flow increasing, kind of interested to go take a look....It's been LOW & SLOW....

Where is Stevens trail? Was thinking about starting at mineral bar and dropping down or maybe start at Yankee Jim's and head up? Anyone with suggestions? Easier route?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bnugget

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The river will be quite a bit higher this weekend as opposed to last. Expect 200-300 cfs vs 40 cfs last weekend. FYI, last night it peaked at about 800 cfs... Hardly enough to replenish any flood gold. A true "flood" on the NFA would be flows greater than about 20,000 cfs, which seems to happen every few years. L.G.
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Alewis, maybe I'll see you out there.

I'll post pics if I remember to take them, lol, last time I went out I was to busy looking for the yellow stuff and completely forgot.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The river for about 1/4 mile above the bridge at Mineral Bar is claimed. Above there you are OK for about 5 miles before you get into private property again.

Good Luck

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bnug,

Good seeing you out there today... Hope you guys came back with backpack full o gold!! I figured it was gonna take about 3 hours to hike back since my mom is afraid of heights and definitely NOT a rock climber lol... Hope to see you out there again sometime!

OP
OP
Bnugget

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bnug, Good seeing you out there today... Hope you guys came back with backpack full o gold!! I figured it was gonna take about 3 hours to hike back since my mom is afraid of heights and definitely NOT a rock climber lol... Hope to see you out there again sometime!
Nice to meet you as well, always enjoy meeting fellow miners.

We did ok but after talking to another miner sounds like I didn't hike in far enough to get the bigger gold. Found lots of micro fine stuff though. All in all was a beautiful day and enjoyed every minute of it.

Attachments

• image-187198718.jpg
    image-187198718.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 130
OP
OP
Bnugget

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more pictures from today, I'm on the left. image-2935034349.jpg Rabbit hole that I found some flood layers in that produced lots of fines. image-3534909911.jpg Some shots of the river image-1105221598.jpg image-2045444711.jpg

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, better than I did lol... Still have some material to work through, but not really high hopes for much more than small flakes... for how much material I ran though, I think I did pretty well. I would like to say that the crevices we were workin were relatively left alone, but I know better :)

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks like a damn fine time! Wish I could have made it. How was the hike, do you think a nine year old could do it? We are sure blessed with some beautiful country, aren't we? Nice touch with the buckets, cracks me up, my daughter always says that in her best Rocky Balboa accent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread