Gold hunting prospecting tips.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tips and little stories for anyone that wants to learn a bit more about chasing the gold. Whether you're a rookie or a Sourdough (a Pro), you might find something to read. My main thread, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html on the metal detecting for gold page has been up for many years, and it has some tips too along with many, many stories of me out chasing the gold, but it takes a long time to wade through all of the almost 80 pages now.

So, I thought I'd start a thread over here dedicated to more of the tips and techniques on how to find gold, and I may transfer some tips from my older thread over to here as well.

Essential gold fact.
(This fact is one that's often ignored, if not undervalued or forgotten in the rush to find the gold.)

Gold fact: Gold is heavy.

Rookie prospector fact: Most rookies forget this.

Prospecting reality: many "seasoned" prospectors forget this.

Prospecting mantra: never forget that gold is heavy.

(Yes, lead is heavy too, but gold is nearly twice as heavy as lead (19320 kg/cu.m VS 11340 kg/cu.m).

For example, if you want to look for gold in a stream, don't start digging in a sandbar. Don't start digging in clay or mud. While it's true that gold will stick to clay, usually if you dig a bunch of clay, you'll get a lot of clay in your pan. . . .

Look at the stream and see where the bigger stuff is collecting.

If you're in an area where there's flour gold (glaciated gold that's been hammered and ground to a powder consistency), look for gravel bars where the rocks are fist-sized and larger. Why? Specific gravity rules specify that if the stream was traveling with enough velocity to carry rocks fist-sized and larger, flour gold was also traveling with them (if there's gold in the stream). Remember? Gold is heavy, so it takes force from water velocity to move it during a flood or during high water. (This also applies to bench deposits and old channels.)

If you're in an area where there's flake and picker gold (or maybe even nuggets), look for a place in the stream where rocks the size of couch cushions or big round watermelons or trashcans were moving during high water. Then, get a vantage point where you can look downstream to see if there's any pattern to their disposition. (I'm referring where the stream is fairly shallow to bedrock or hardpan as the bigger rocks won't disappear as they sink themselves with the stratifying action of the stream. Big, wide, slow moving streams that are deep to bedrock sometimes won't follow the same rules.) Look downstream and if you can see the big rocks lined out (running in a consecutive line downstream from each other) in a linear pattern, each following the others downstream, I'd get in those rocks and start digging. Why? Gold is heavy. Just think about the energy involved in the stream velocity that moved those rocks: pickers and flakes and maybe nuggets were running with that big stuff. Dig, dig, dig. Test, test, test.

Flashback time: When I was working with a large placer operation and they'd hit large boulders (the size of your couch at least, not the cushions), and we were working ground where nuggets were common, everyone would get excited about the possibilities. (I say possibilities because sometimes Mother Nature plays tricks and only drops the big boulders because she shifted the gold run off somewhere else.) So, when those big boulders were moved out of the way, everyone would get down in the pit after the machines were shut down for the day to start panning. (I'd often be panning the material as we went down as well to keep the feedback going to the excavator operator to let him know what size of gold, or how much gold was showing in the pan at the various levels, or in the varying layers of materials as they changed from level to level.)

On one unforgettable day, the gold run was so heavy after the big rocks were moved that we walked along the face of the wall where it met the bedrock (from about two feet above and down to the bedrock that is), and we were able to see the nuggets packed in the gravel and then flick them out of the wall into a pan!

Now I know that some of you are going to think that I was smoking cheap crack, and that there's no way anything like that could ever be possible, but I was there and it happened anyway. Moreover, once you've seen pay with that much gold in it, and once you've experienced a sight like that, you can never forget it either. There was so much gold in the pay layer that because the boss was gone to town for supplies, the sluice crew messed up and fed the sluice at the wrong rate (they fed it as if they were running normal material). The boss arrived back in camp just as the run ended and the crew was just shutting down the wash-plant. To his horror when the water stopped flowing, there were nuggets all the way from the header boxes right to the end of the last riffle in both sluices, and this was a big wash-plant!

So, as you undoubtedly remember (by now in this post) that gold is heavy, what do you think was happening while the nuggets were being deposited all the way to the last riffle in the sluices?

That's right, the nuggets were going over the end of the sluice and heading down into the settling ponds too. What a fiasco! I'll not bore you with the colorful adjectives the boss launched at the sluice crew.

But, what an unimaginable sight regardless. Nuggets from the header boxes all the way to the last riffle!! I had my video camera with me and wanted so badly to shoot video of the sluices; moreover, I had my regular camera with me and wanted to shoot some stills as well, but the investor wouldn't let me do it. He was quite an uptight fellow, to say the least.

Some other miners were working their way down the mountain along our road on their way to cross the river with their equipment, so they could get started on running dirt at their claim. They stopped by to see how things were going. Their jaws hit the ground, hard. They'd never seen the like, and I certainly never have since. Pounds and pounds of beautiful nuggets, with pounds and pounds of galena in all different sizes left to be separated from the gold. (What a pain that was as you can't remove galena with magnets, so it's hard to speed up the cleanup process.)

So, when you're looking for gold, think heavy. Try to think heavy thoughts because gold certainly thinks that way. Moreover, if you're working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock, always, always check the bedrock very carefully. Why? As gold is heavy, and as the stream materials are constantly agitated by the water, the gold will continue to drop through the liquified, moving materials of the stream to eventually come to rest. Why does it stop? It hits something that won't move or give way, and in the case of bedrock, it meets all of the immovable object criteria.

While dredging, I've had to pry enough nuggets from cracks and crevices to know how well fractured or rough bedrock works when it comes to stopping gold.

(Note: I shot this picture with an underwater camera (the glacial melt water is crystal clear and bone-chilling cold). It's a nugget that's sitting on the bedrock, and the water is moving along at a really good clip. I'd just finished moving and then carefully sucking all of the surrounding material away from the nugget on the bedrock with the dredge nozzle kept far enough away to only move the lighter material. The natural velocity of the water was not a factor when it came to the specific gravity of that chunk of gold: that nugget would not move after it was uncovered! It sat right there. If you look around, you'll see other gold resting in the stream run as well.)

Fun fact: while dredging, I've disturbed gold on the bedrock, but because gold is so heavy, the velocity of the stream drags (and I do mean drags) it along the bedrock until it reaches a crevice, and the gold disappears right quick I can tell you! If it's a good sized nugget, once you uncover it, that sassy chunk of gold will sit there in the water right tight on the bedrock waiting for you to make a move. That's how well gold can resist the velocity of the water. That's why some writers say that gold is "lazy". It's so sluggish because due to its specific gravity that it takes the shortest route between two points. So, if you're in an area with coarse gold, always remember this weighty fact as you're plotting where to test your stream materials. In your head, draw some imaginary lines (straight lines) from point A to point B.

Go to bed tonight reviewing the fact that gold is heavy: almost twenty times as heavy as the water that's transporting it, and almost ten times heavier than the other materials the stream's water is moving along with the gold. Knowing this may just have you rethinking things the next time you're out working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock (or other stream deposits as well).

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

By the way, it's far too cold here right now to chase the gold. So, since I'm snowbound, I'll kick out a few posts from time to time, and at other times I may get a chance to post a few more as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great link Lanny, thank you. Good article got me thinking and I made a few changes to my crevicing pack. Down to 19lbs with sledge and chisel. I Also made a bleach bottle scoop, love it, that thing is light and tough (had to give it the back yard test). I like the idea of ditching the buckets in favor of canvas bags as well. Will need to find a source for the bags and I'll give it a try. There is another article a few lines down on low water sniping that I really enjoyed. I think you may know the author, lol.

You know, I'd forgotten all about that one. And, I have no idea where they pulled it from either, at least I can't remember right now.

I'm glad you found the article helpful.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your experiences Lanny,
I've learned a lot from you over the years. keep up the good work :icon_thumleft:

Your thread Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries is a must read, but I'm still waiting for "Bedrock & Gold" the illustrated book version!
Talk about a best seller, especially with today's gold rush going on there couldn't be a better time to publish.
http://publishers.ca/

GG~

Last edited:

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the canvas bags also. Get them from thrift stores when I can find the heavy stuff with good stitching. Great for when you're hiking in for a few days.

Now if someone would invent a high powered, battery operated, pocket sized lazer gun for slicing up those big boulders into manageable pieces - hell, I'd pay $20 for that. :)

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing your experiences Lanny,
I've learned a lot from you over the years. keep up the good work :icon_thumleft:

Your thread Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries is a must read, but I'm still waiting for "Bedrock & Gold" the illustrated book version!
Talk about a best seller, especially with today's gold rush going on there couldn't be a better time to publish.
Home

GG~

Many thanks GG,

My publisher (my wife!) is really putting a lot of pressure on me to get it done. That's why there's some urgency to get me rewriting my stories, and that's why at long last I have an introduction for a book completed.

You've always been a very generous person to share your knowledge of chasing the gold with others as well. I tip my hat to you.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I responded to username Leenie (Dave?) on my main thread about some questions he had, and the response got rather lengthy as I rambled along, but I decided to post most of that response over here as well.

It mainly has to do with finding nuggets around old wash-plant sites, whether using a shovel and pan or a metal detector, and the mathematical advantage of looking for gold in such places. There's a tip or two that some of you may already know.

The gold is still there (I was answering his question about the gold that went over the end of the sluices when the pay was so rich the sluice crew ran the dirt too fast). Moreover, where they had the wash-plant, there's gold all around it as well. That's a tip that I'll pass on to you. Wherever a wash-plant has been set up there's gold. The big problem about shooting nuggets with a detector around any deserted gold operation is the trash. This comes from all the things happening: welding (lots of bits of welds, pieces of rod, etc.), metal fabricating, chunks of screens breaking off, bits of bearing or chunks dropping, pieces of track and blade shaving off, etc., etc. So, there's tons of trash, but just scooping up dirt from around the workings will produce gold if the pay was decent, and sometimes it's good gold too.

It makes sense if you think about it. They were trucking in pay-dirt to the location, so you've got a concentrated area of possibilities, much more so than some random piece of ground. Think of it this way, if they were trucking in dirt mixed with loads of silver dimes and processing them through a wash-plant to get the dimes back out, wouldn't some of that dirt fall off the various types of equipment and machinery before it got washed? The same goes for dirt with nuggets in it. I've found nuggets on the roads where they trucked pay, and in all of the areas where the dirt had a chance to drop around the equipment and machinery. Today, most operations have to leave the ground like nothing ever happened where the gold was washed. So, you'll need to look for old sites that were left either partially unclaimed or totally unclaimed for your best chance.

In my story about the rich dirt, just multiply the possibilities by a high factor (of pay dropping off with nuggets in it) and that explains the situation I've referred to earlier about that spectacular dirt they were processing.

As for the nuggets that went over the end of the sluices, they're most likely still there, trapped in highly fractured bedrock on a rocky slope below. I know exactly where they are, but it's a long, difficult drive from here to get back up there. Nevertheless, a return trip is still on my list. Why, because I've learned so much more about nugget hunting since I was there last. I've got a bunch of spots I'd hit hard this time, and I'd go much slower. Furthermore, with the 5000, I'd be able to hear signals I'd have walked right over with the 2100, that's how much quieter the 5000 is than the SD's, and that's how much better the circuitry is for handling extreme ground (and the variety of coils) as well. Lots of different programs, settings, new coils being developed to let a guy really work that ground.

Furthermore, there's places I would now hunt in an entirely different manner. I'd take some pumps with me and pump out old excavations because the nuggets are still there too, they're just drowned under too much water for a person to swing a detector over them. But, when I was shooting the ground before those sites flooded (that's always a problem with placer pits, the seepage), we were getting fantastic, nuggety gold.

There's also the throwout piles from the 1800's and the 1930's (Fun fact: there were all kinds of people active in the gold-fields in the 1930's). Because I didn't know then what I know now, I only did a superficial job of detecting those hand-dug excavation piles because there was so much trash. By the way, the amount of trash there is a good sign.

Down south (in my terminology in reference to territory that means close to the US border with Canada) the places are being hit so hard it's rare to find any trash as more and more spots are being worked to death. But those throwout piles that I referred to up north had beautiful nuggets in them along with all kinds of trash. But now, I don't care about trash. It's a signal to me that it hasn't been worked out. Trash will mask a lot of nugget signals. Let me repeat that: trash will mask a lot of nugget signals. I got this tip from an online prospecting buddy years ago. He told me that you want to work the ground until it's dead quiet. Then, you want to slow down and really hunt by listening for those tiny disturbances in the threshold. That's the strength of the 5000 in extreme ground, it's sensitivity and its quiet. The GPX is so quiet it will let you hear the gold.

Far too many nugget hunters want the signal from a nugget to blow their headphones off or at least make a loud, clear sound or they won't investigate the signal response. That's not how you find most nuggets. You have to go slowly, listening very carefully for any change in the threshold. Those tiny changes need to be investigated. I mean, that's why you pay the big bucks right? Too many nugget shooters try to dumb down their machines, or maybe it's better to say they dumb down their own response. Regardless, if there's a disturbance in the threshold, the machine is trying to tell you something. So, listen to it, and check that bump (in the threshold) out. It pays to be smart enough to respect the technology in the machine, and it never hurts to remind yourself to remember that.

This advice goes for VLF's as well, that is when you're hunting ground that's suitable for a VLF. I remember the days when I was always in a hurry, swinging the coil like I was on steroids, trying to cover as much ground as I could, waiting for a target response in the headphones that would smack me in the side of the head to get me to stop. That's the tale of a classic rookie error right there. That's the tale of someone dumbing down the machine's ability and the operator's brain!

Sure, if you're in an area that you're testing and you're unsure of the gold production values you'll likely travel faster with a big coil, but if you're in an area that's producing nuggets, and you've already found nuggets, it pays to slow down and investigate every signal (with smaller coils sometimes).

Wow, this response is way longer than I intended Dave, so I think I'll move some of it over to my Tips thread for those that need a hint or two, as for the pros, they already know this stuff.

All the best,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hope some of this goes in the book along side all the stories! You are quite a writer Lanny, I'm not even a detectorist and I love reading your stuff.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you don't mind - but I'm copying these lessons and putting them in a notebook. Never hurts to read back through stuff like this occasionally just for the refresh. I'd really like to try detecting. Maybe one of these days.

stanjtown

Nov 9, 2012
Lebanon County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lanny for all the info it's invaluable to a noob like myself. Were I live there is very fine gold and very few places that its been found, but it's still fun hunting for the gold. I will look at the streams a lot differently now that I've read these posts. This forum is a great place to learn and full of even better people that are here to help everyone. So I want to say thank you all for the lessons.

Stan

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you don't mind - but I'm copying these lessons and putting them in a notebook. Never hurts to read back through stuff like this occasionally just for the refresh. I'd really like to try detecting. Maybe one of these days.

As long as they are only for your own personal use, no problem.

I hope they'll help you get some gold one day.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Golden Gus down in Australia gave me permission to share this little story with you.

He was responding to a post of mine about how the Chinese miners didn't get all of the gold. I'll have to find it and maybe I'll post it as far too many people neglect to look for gold where the Chinese miners worked. Too many prospectors are convinced the Chinese got it all wherever they worked.

From Golden Gus:

"Gday Lanny,
I agree wholeheartedly with your points on the Chinese diggings.
There is a particular set of diggings along a creek that springs to mind as a perfect example of what you were explaining.
Rather than bedrock,these diggings bottomed onto a layer of yellow clay.The Chinese tested under this layer to the bedrock to make sure it wasn't a false bottom,but left it alone and processed everything above it.
Just the nature of a bottom like this speaks gold,as during wet times it would have been impossible to clean up properly. The depth of these diggings ranged from a meter deep next to the creek and up to 8 mtrs deep 100 mtrs up the banks where the workings finished.
In the middle ground are neat stone walls built to contain the massive piles of smooth river wash and also piles of what must of been considered barren topsoil.
These diggings must have been incredibly rich, as the amount of gold left behind was amazing. The Chinese removed a huge amount of dirt here,with a width averaging 100-150 mtrs wide x 700 mtrs long.
One small 'Island' they left me was covered in nuggets. This was virgin ground with defined layers. The top layer was white pipe clay with a band of reddish/orange clay containing was rocks underneath. This piece of ground alone produced close to 2 Oz of nuggets for me, not to mention the nuggets found scattered around to remaining surfaced areas.

Another particular spot that sticks in my mind is a section of creek. Here the Chinese dug a diversion channel so a 200 mtr section of the creek could be worked. Considering the creek was only 2-3mtrs wide, with shear walled banks,and consisted of exposed slate bedrock. They did a poor job and left a large amount of crevasses untouched,which contained cemented wash and many nuggets. It is not uncommon to get 10 or more nuggets from the one crevice.

Did the Chinese get it all?........not even close !"

With a big thanks to Gus, all the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here’s a message I sent off to Dave in Darwin, Australia years back about a habit the Chinese miners had in the 1800's:

Lots of platinum nuggets were found in British Columbia in the 1800's.

The Chinese miners used to bury them in coffee pots and coffee cans because the miners felt they were valuable, but they weren't worth much (or depending on the time, or if they were unsure of what they were, nothing at all). Some of the workers left maps that their relatives have returned with from China and they have dug up those coffee cans full of platinum nuggets (that gets my head spinning just thinking about it!).

On a related note, the old-timers used to get ticked off at the platinum because it was so hard to separate the stuff from the gold in the concentrates. They threw many, many nuggets right back in the streams and onto the tailing piles.

The Similkameen and Tulameen in British Columbia have platinum placers.

I have a small platinum nugget I retrieved from Central British Columbia when I was working up there. It's BB sized. In fact, I have been told that in other areas many various sized platinum nuggets are BB shaped as well.

I have some friends in Darwin Dave. No cyclones imminent I hope, and watch out for the saltwater crocs!!

All the best,

Lanny

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Lanny
This response goes with your first post here....the slow lazy heavy gold and how to find it. Well, so happens I found myself on the Smith the other day for only a couple of reasons. I have been sidetracked from getting out by dozens of different distractions, all demanding to be #1 on my to-do list. I'd had enough and took Karen and my water addicted chocolate lab to a nice sand and rock swimming area. As each of us wandered and entertained ourselves, my thoughts turned to your thread. What did Lanny tell you?
Things like if you look in sand, you will find sand sized gold. Hmmm...lets look at this place thru Lanny's eyes.

There are several benches (all of them are showing right now with the drought). You can see where water running down to the river has channeled those benches. So I picked the most aggressive cut and tracked the bigger rocks to the waters edge. Now what? Sample Jeff. How, all my stuff is back home? Has this stopped you before?

I got down on my knees and dug in at the waters edge and just under the surface. I was surprised to find a large rock embedded into this final bench. (I should not have been as it was of the same size of rock that led me to the spot.) Anyways, I closed my fist and "panned" the mini sample in my hand.

With Karen as my witness this is what I found...

004.JPG

That is the biggest flake I've found. THANK YOU!:notworthy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Lanny
This response goes with your first post here....the slow lazy heavy gold and how to find it. Well, so happens I found myself on the Smith the other day for only a couple of reasons. I have been sidetracked from getting out by dozens of different distractions, all demanding to be #1 on my to-do list. I'd had enough and took Karen and my water addicted chocolate lab to a nice sand and rock swimming area. As each of us wandered and entertained ourselves, my thoughts turned to your thread. What did Lanny tell you?
Things like if you look in sand, you will find sand sized gold. Hmmm...lets look at this place thru Lanny's eyes.

There are several benches (all of them are showing right now with the drought). You can see where water running down to the river has channeled those benches. So I picked the most aggressive cut and tracked the bigger rocks to the waters edge. Now what? Sample Jeff. How, all my stuff is back home? Has this stopped you before?

I got down on my knees and dug in at the waters edge and just under the surface. I was surprised to find a large rock embedded into this final bench. (I should not have been as it was of the same size of rock that led me to the spot.) Anyways, I closed my fist and "panned" the mini sample in my hand.

With Karen as my witness this is what I found...

View attachment 940586

That is the biggest flake I've found. THANK YOU!:notworthy:

What a great little story!

And, you panned it "by hand", no gold pan involved. That's a great little gold tale all on its own.

Many congratulations and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This post accompanies a recent post on this thread about detecting nuggets.

I'll post some others on different aspects of prospecting from time to time.

Just a few quick thoughts before I shut 'er down for the night. One of the hard lessons I learned about detecting (as you can tell from my stories there were way more lessons I didn't learn than I did!!) was not to go too fast when in heavily mineralized soil, and in all reality, not too fast whenever you're chasing nuggets in good gold ground.

The reason for this is that due to the severity of the ground conditions, every subtle change in the threshold can make a big difference as to whether or not you miss a target or whether you find a target.

I know this is quite a bit for a beginning nugget shooter to get their head around (you pros already know this stuff), but I've found nuggets in insane ground conditions, and the only way it happened was because I paid attention to the pros of the day that counseled me to go slow--they spelled it s-l-o-w on their posts so that slow learners like myself would hopefully catch on.

By the way, another valuable tip that went hand in hand with the go slow advice was to scrub the ground with the coil. Well, when you do that, it often bumps along the ground and you get false signals from the movement of the coil wire, loose components within the coil (if there's any), slack in the shaft transmitted up to the control box, the battery wire swinging around, etc. You get the picture.

However, by scrubbing the ground slowly, and by listening very carefully to very subtle changes in the threshold, that is often the only clue you'll ever get to a nugget cached in severe ground. (It truly does seem opposite to what seems natural. After all--get out there and cover as much ground as possible, right?) But, by going slowly you'll discover that it's rarer to get a loud, distinct signal (most often those are nails and other trash). More often in hammered ground, you'll get a "bump" in the threshold, a barely detectable change. Now, and this is where it gets important, you'll often get all kinds of false signals, but a bump or a definite break in the threshold will be there as you very, very slowly go back over the same spot again. In contrast, false signals, unlike bumps, wander all over the place.

Well, what do you do after you get a bump? Remove some of the soil over the target area, and if it's a good signal, the bump should strengthen into a whisper. This is a very faint signal that will be there as you pinpoint the signal source with coil movement. Next, you need to scrape away more soil. If the signal now gets you a tone, you're well on the way to finding out what's down there. (With the GPX 5000 now, and the variety of coils, programs, and the pinpoint feature, there's lots of ways to tweak this process now.) Yes, sometimes a clever hot rock will fool you, but you'll often get to know the difference in the sound of a hot-rock, or the way its tone behaves differently from a highly conductive tone (like gold, copper, or bullet-lead for example). However, I must admit there are a few hot-rocks that are full of iron mineral, or lead mineral that will drive you crazy, but I need to get back to what's important about those bumps and whispers.

It's been my experience, that often, the easy "come over here and dig me" nuggets have already been found. You know, the ones that blow your headphones off (Usually these only hang out in virgin areas, or in crazy access areas where you risk life and limb by hanging over a precipice or by clawing your way up a cliff! Been there, done that, don't want to repeat it. Yes, the gold was beautiful, but it really isn't worth it. You'll find more gold and have many more prospecting adventures by staying alive. Fun fact, dead detectorists don't get any gold.). Most of the nugget finds will result from those bumps and whispers, especially in areas that have been hunted over and over.

I once found six nuggets in an area of exposed bedrock that had been hammered to death. How did it happen? Just as I described. I spent time carefully examining the bedrock. It was blessed with tons of natural-trap appeal, and I decided to put to the test the things the pros had been telling me. I went so slow I questioned what the heck I was doing. It just seemed way too slow to accomplish anything. But I stuck to it, and I finally noticed a bump in the threshold that I never would have heard moving at a regular or a normal, slower speed. I backtracked and the bump was still in the same spot.

I moved some soil, detected again, and it was now a whisper. I hit solid bedrock with the next couple of scrapes and the disturbance was now a tone, very faint, but that distinct low--high--low. The nugget was in between sheets of perpendicular rock (as many of the nuggets in the area I now hunt are) and it kept moving, but that's not the purpose of this post (how to outsmart those challenges). The purpose of this post is what I did five more times after I'd recovered that first nugget from that great looking bedrock right on the lip of a drop.

(It was the perfect trap for nuggets.)

Well, I was fired up after the first catch of the day, and I painstakingly worked about five feet of that bedrock, scrubbing the coil across that uneven bedrock, fighting off false signals, etc. The detector ignored the most common hot-rock signals (yes, even premier PI machine still detect hot-rocks, but not nearly as many as VLF's), and every time I got a bump, whisper, or break in the threshold, I vectored in on it.

Now, perhaps this is the most important part of the post, every signal was only a disruption in the threshold, a tiny disturbance from the normal, steady tone. It's critical to remember this as this is why I believe why most people with detectors walk right over nuggets.

Remember, if it's a bump--it will stay there. You just have to be moving slowly enough to hear it in the first place. Granted, this takes a lot of listening time to even know what a bump is, but this understanding will get you far more nuggets.

Now, back to my story. I stuck with it and wound up with five more nuggets in the poke making six sassy beauties that I never would have had. (If you're curious as to which coil I had on, it was a small sniping coil, the Joey.)

I've used the "bump" technique many times since, and this technique is solid gold. (As mentioned earlier, far too many rookie nugget shooters think they need a solid signal or they won't investigate it. However, this only leaves many nuggets in the ground. That's why rookies will recover bullet casings, spent rounds, and all different sizes of lead shot because those targets return nice signals. This effort isn't a total waste as gathering all that conductive metal does teach pinpointing skills. However, it often trains the nugget shooter to listen for clear signals at the expense of the really important ones.)

So, go and find some nuggets!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This post is more about general prospecting and some things to look for, but with a few tips on beach prospecting around Nome Alaska as well.

Garnets, being a semi-precious gem stone, are heavy. So, they hang out with the heavier materials like black sand. Moreover, when the stream velocity is slowed by an object that creates a low-pressure zone, or by a widening of the stream, etc. that creates a low-pressure zone, the heavies drop out of suspension in the stream and they are deposited and left behind as the stream moves along.

When I was beach mining in Alaska, I used to look for areas on the beach where you could see heavy concentrations of ruby sand (heavy concentrations of small garnets) and those turned out to be great places to prospect as the gold and the garnets love to hang out very close to each other.

In fact, I used polarized sunglasses to scan the beach for deposits, as the polarized lenses (for whatever reason) made the garnets really stand out from the background sand--but I'm wandering off onto something else.

The bottom line is that where the heavies drop out of the stream (garnets, black sand, larger chunks of magnetite) the gold will drop in the same spot or very close to the same spot as well. Having said that, with micron or flour gold, which the stream I was on this week carries, when the garnets and the black sand drop, the gold drops with it.

If you're in an area of coarse gold, the gold may drop to one side or the other (or slightly up or downstream) of the garnets. But, whenever I'm panning in an area known for garnets and gold, and I start to see them in the pan, I know there will either be gold in that pan as well, or I'm very, very close to it's location.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This post really is for the Rookies:

Springtime is the time to be in the hills watching where the high water/flood waters are running. By watching where the high water cuts into the banks/hammers into the bedrock, you'll be able to see where the suction eddies form at high water, which you might never find at low water. And, wherever suction eddies form, the gold will drop.

One season when we were dredging, I recalled where there was a huge suction eddy that we'd spotted and photographed in the Spring. The river slammed into the bedrock and cut back on itself for about fifteen feet. Logs got caught in the eddy, and anything else that came whistling down the river got jammed in there for a while as well.

So, reflecting on those earlier observations, and after I shut the dredge down for the day, I swam over (with snorkel and mask fitted) to where that eddy had been boiling during high water. I picked two nuggets (around a gram each) right out of the bedrock where there was a small underwater ledge that formed a transition zone where the edge of the suction eddy met the main channel of the river during flood stage. The bedrock was highly fractured and it was the perfect gold trap.

So, any time you get the chance to observe your favorite gold-bearing stream during flood stage (which some of you may be in right now) get out there. Draw diagrams/take pictures/shoot video/write notes, so you've got an accurate record of what the stream was doing when it was going full tilt. That way you'll know where to look for the gold when the stream is running low and slow.

If you can't make it to the stream during high water or flood stage, look for spots higher up on the bank where large boulders have been tossed out as the river swung by, a sign of a former suction eddy. If there is any protrusion into the stream (extremely large boulder shouldering on the bank, a ledge of bedrock jutting into the river, etc., a likely spot for a suction eddy. As mentioned in earlier posts, look immediately downstream of the obstruction to see if large rocks or boulders have been spun out. However, even if the large rocks aren't present, they may have been moved out by a larger, later gush of water, but the gold may still be trapped in the bedrock if it's the right type to trap gold, of course.

So, observe streams at spring flood every chance you get so you can see where these eddies form and you'll soon catch on to where to look for the most likely places at low water.

All the best out there as you practice this,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread