Gold hunting prospecting tips.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tips and little stories for anyone that wants to learn a bit more about chasing the gold. Whether you're a rookie or a Sourdough (a Pro), you might find something to read. My main thread, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html on the metal detecting for gold page has been up for many years, and it has some tips too along with many, many stories of me out chasing the gold, but it takes a long time to wade through all of the almost 80 pages now.

So, I thought I'd start a thread over here dedicated to more of the tips and techniques on how to find gold, and I may transfer some tips from my older thread over to here as well.

Essential gold fact.
(This fact is one that's often ignored, if not undervalued or forgotten in the rush to find the gold.)

Gold fact: Gold is heavy.

Rookie prospector fact: Most rookies forget this.

Prospecting reality: many "seasoned" prospectors forget this.

Prospecting mantra: never forget that gold is heavy.

(Yes, lead is heavy too, but gold is nearly twice as heavy as lead (19320 kg/cu.m VS 11340 kg/cu.m).

For example, if you want to look for gold in a stream, don't start digging in a sandbar. Don't start digging in clay or mud. While it's true that gold will stick to clay, usually if you dig a bunch of clay, you'll get a lot of clay in your pan. . . .

Look at the stream and see where the bigger stuff is collecting.

If you're in an area where there's flour gold (glaciated gold that's been hammered and ground to a powder consistency), look for gravel bars where the rocks are fist-sized and larger. Why? Specific gravity rules specify that if the stream was traveling with enough velocity to carry rocks fist-sized and larger, flour gold was also traveling with them (if there's gold in the stream). Remember? Gold is heavy, so it takes force from water velocity to move it during a flood or during high water. (This also applies to bench deposits and old channels.)

If you're in an area where there's flake and picker gold (or maybe even nuggets), look for a place in the stream where rocks the size of couch cushions or big round watermelons or trashcans were moving during high water. Then, get a vantage point where you can look downstream to see if there's any pattern to their disposition. (I'm referring where the stream is fairly shallow to bedrock or hardpan as the bigger rocks won't disappear as they sink themselves with the stratifying action of the stream. Big, wide, slow moving streams that are deep to bedrock sometimes won't follow the same rules.) Look downstream and if you can see the big rocks lined out (running in a consecutive line downstream from each other) in a linear pattern, each following the others downstream, I'd get in those rocks and start digging. Why? Gold is heavy. Just think about the energy involved in the stream velocity that moved those rocks: pickers and flakes and maybe nuggets were running with that big stuff. Dig, dig, dig. Test, test, test.

Flashback time: When I was working with a large placer operation and they'd hit large boulders (the size of your couch at least, not the cushions), and we were working ground where nuggets were common, everyone would get excited about the possibilities. (I say possibilities because sometimes Mother Nature plays tricks and only drops the big boulders because she shifted the gold run off somewhere else.) So, when those big boulders were moved out of the way, everyone would get down in the pit after the machines were shut down for the day to start panning. (I'd often be panning the material as we went down as well to keep the feedback going to the excavator operator to let him know what size of gold, or how much gold was showing in the pan at the various levels, or in the varying layers of materials as they changed from level to level.)

On one unforgettable day, the gold run was so heavy after the big rocks were moved that we walked along the face of the wall where it met the bedrock (from about two feet above and down to the bedrock that is), and we were able to see the nuggets packed in the gravel and then flick them out of the wall into a pan!

Now I know that some of you are going to think that I was smoking cheap crack, and that there's no way anything like that could ever be possible, but I was there and it happened anyway. Moreover, once you've seen pay with that much gold in it, and once you've experienced a sight like that, you can never forget it either. There was so much gold in the pay layer that because the boss was gone to town for supplies, the sluice crew messed up and fed the sluice at the wrong rate (they fed it as if they were running normal material). The boss arrived back in camp just as the run ended and the crew was just shutting down the wash-plant. To his horror when the water stopped flowing, there were nuggets all the way from the header boxes right to the end of the last riffle in both sluices, and this was a big wash-plant!

So, as you undoubtedly remember (by now in this post) that gold is heavy, what do you think was happening while the nuggets were being deposited all the way to the last riffle in the sluices?

That's right, the nuggets were going over the end of the sluice and heading down into the settling ponds too. What a fiasco! I'll not bore you with the colorful adjectives the boss launched at the sluice crew.

But, what an unimaginable sight regardless. Nuggets from the header boxes all the way to the last riffle!! I had my video camera with me and wanted so badly to shoot video of the sluices; moreover, I had my regular camera with me and wanted to shoot some stills as well, but the investor wouldn't let me do it. He was quite an uptight fellow, to say the least.

Some other miners were working their way down the mountain along our road on their way to cross the river with their equipment, so they could get started on running dirt at their claim. They stopped by to see how things were going. Their jaws hit the ground, hard. They'd never seen the like, and I certainly never have since. Pounds and pounds of beautiful nuggets, with pounds and pounds of galena in all different sizes left to be separated from the gold. (What a pain that was as you can't remove galena with magnets, so it's hard to speed up the cleanup process.)

So, when you're looking for gold, think heavy. Try to think heavy thoughts because gold certainly thinks that way. Moreover, if you're working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock, always, always check the bedrock very carefully. Why? As gold is heavy, and as the stream materials are constantly agitated by the water, the gold will continue to drop through the liquified, moving materials of the stream to eventually come to rest. Why does it stop? It hits something that won't move or give way, and in the case of bedrock, it meets all of the immovable object criteria.

While dredging, I've had to pry enough nuggets from cracks and crevices to know how well fractured or rough bedrock works when it comes to stopping gold.

(Note: I shot this picture with an underwater camera (the glacial melt water is crystal clear and bone-chilling cold). It's a nugget that's sitting on the bedrock, and the water is moving along at a really good clip. I'd just finished moving and then carefully sucking all of the surrounding material away from the nugget on the bedrock with the dredge nozzle kept far enough away to only move the lighter material. The natural velocity of the water was not a factor when it came to the specific gravity of that chunk of gold: that nugget would not move after it was uncovered! It sat right there. If you look around, you'll see other gold resting in the stream run as well.)

Fun fact: while dredging, I've disturbed gold on the bedrock, but because gold is so heavy, the velocity of the stream drags (and I do mean drags) it along the bedrock until it reaches a crevice, and the gold disappears right quick I can tell you! If it's a good sized nugget, once you uncover it, that sassy chunk of gold will sit there in the water right tight on the bedrock waiting for you to make a move. That's how well gold can resist the velocity of the water. That's why some writers say that gold is "lazy". It's so sluggish because due to its specific gravity that it takes the shortest route between two points. So, if you're in an area with coarse gold, always remember this weighty fact as you're plotting where to test your stream materials. In your head, draw some imaginary lines (straight lines) from point A to point B.

Go to bed tonight reviewing the fact that gold is heavy: almost twenty times as heavy as the water that's transporting it, and almost ten times heavier than the other materials the stream's water is moving along with the gold. Knowing this may just have you rethinking things the next time you're out working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock (or other stream deposits as well).

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

By the way, it's far too cold here right now to chase the gold. So, since I'm snowbound, I'll kick out a few posts from time to time, and at other times I may get a chance to post a few more as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny...one of the very first times I used your "think lazy slow heavy gold" mindset, I followed boulders from a shelf down to the river side. I dug down, found no gold but did find an intact but highly rusted ring gear. The teeth that remained were probably only a 1/4" deep. Next time out, I went into a wash and looked for the biggest boulders there...about treasure chest size. I moved them out of the way and dug down about a foot when I hit metal. It was about 50 nails all in a cluster and in a trench about a foot and a half long. No gold there either but the point was clear. With no metal detector, you taught me where to begin looking for gold and those five simple words have served my introduction to prospecting well. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny...one of the very first times I used your "think lazy slow heavy gold" mindset, I followed boulders from a shelf down to the river side. I dug down, found no gold but did find an intact but highly rusted ring gear. The teeth that remained were probably only a 1/4" deep. Next time out, I went into a wash and looked for the biggest boulders there...about treasure chest size. I moved them out of the way and dug down about a foot when I hit metal. It was about 50 nails all in a cluster and in a trench about a foot and a half long. No gold there either but the point was clear. With no metal detector, you taught me where to begin looking for gold and those five simple words have served my introduction to prospecting well. :icon_thumright:

Jeff,

Thanks for dropping in to leave your observations and comments. "Think lazy slow heavy gold" really will get you pondering about the shortest point from A to B, the easiest place to drop from the water's flow, the quickest path to the bottom for that sluggish gold to have a rest. After all, "lazy is as lazy does", and gold in the water column lives by that saying.

I remember being on a big inside bend once, a spot where the river did a 90 degree turn because of the water being forced right against the side of the mountain (and, that mountain just wasn't moving for the river). I dredged for two days to get down through wash-tub sized boulders to what should have been bedrock, and right before I thought I was going to hit it, there was a huge line of heavies in an arc, an arc mimicking the line of that inside bend!

The heavies were very robust in size: a big rusted axe head (1800's style), large square timber spikes (from the flume that used to divert the river), nuts and bolts, bands of strip iron, chunks of lead, and all the square nails in the world, but no gold.

I kept working down a bit and hit massive boulders (vehicle-sized), so I was forced to stop working. However, this was before I'd learned the lesson about looking to the right or to the left of the line of heavies. I still wonder to this day what must have been resting on those boulders just a bit one way or to the other of that well-defined line of very heavy
trash . . .

Not as experienced then, all I could think about was getting to the bedrock. Since that time, I've learned to have more patience and to "trench" perpendicular to the line of heavies, and of course, to always check just below them too. This strategy has left me with a lot more gold in the poke.

All the best,

Lanny

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironstone/magnetite: jumps to a magnet (native iron).

If you're in an area of flour gold, of course you know to look in the top few inches of gravels, where there are stones fist-sized and larger.

Your glacial-ground gold will drop out with the rock sizes previously mentioned.

If you have a lot of garnet in your area that runs with the black sands, use polarized sunglass lenses and scan the bars for areas of heavy concentrations. If all you have are large boulders, look for "tails" of heavies running out behind (downstream) from your boulders.

If you have a detector that will do it, detect for pockets of black-sand concentrates. Your flour gold should be there as well.

All the best,

Lanny
==========================================================
HA,,, Polarized sunglasses !!!
Yep,, I have them always,,I KNEW there was another reason to have them along, HAHA

Anyway, you again have nailed it,, there are "trails" of darker mineral matter behind (downstream) of the larger rocks in the water.
Man,,now I really want to get back out there soon, but there still is a foot of snow down there.

Soon though I will be able to get in and everything you have given to me will be used.
Hopefully the next weekend I am off I will be able to hike in and do a survey on possible sites to begin work on there.
I have not worked this place at all yet but am very anxious to start, having the information you so graciously provided to all of us here.

Hit

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a gold prospecting noob, this thread has been the single best read I've had so far. Better than any of the books and other resources I have read. So thank you, sir, for taking the time to post this info. It is greatly appreciated! I like your writing style too. Will let you know how I do being my first year prospecting for gold. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a gold prospecting noob, this thread has been the single best read I've had so far. Better than any of the books and other resources I have read. So thank you, sir, for taking the time to post this info. It is greatly appreciated! I like your writing style too. Will let you know how I do being my first year prospecting for gold. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the wonderful virus that spawns gold fever!

Thanks so much for taking a moment to say that you like the material on this thread. It's comments like yours that make keeping the threads active worth it.

All the best, and thanks again,

Lanny

P.S. Drop back in again and post some pictures of your outing.

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey there Lanny,

My name is Frank, live in Mi., and I've finished readin this here thread (it took me a couple days to get through it), but just wanted to say thanx a ton fer all yer "nuggets of wisdom", and also to the other contributuers, Beejay, and Kevin and such. I had never had any intention of ever huntin for, or, as you put it "chasin the gold". My only interest ever was huntin for and finding and recovering meteorites here in Mi. and eventually in other states where they are more readily found. I had eventually found a small fragment from a known, witnessed fall that happened in 1921 over Ogemaw and Oscoda counties, then took me a trip out AZ to hunt gold basin at an outing hosted by another forum, got to meet and make friends with Bill Southern and some of them other fellers back in 2011 and found me a couple gold basin L4's. And all this experience thus far had finally got me huntin fer the gold too. I've since joined the GPAA, bought me a couple other different pans, classifiers and an "AMS", did me a good bit of research and fer the last 2 summers have been findin some of that fine, microscopic flour in a small crick over near Lansing. stash.jpg

This summer, after havin done a little more research, I've decided to go a little further W and N to explore a different crick that might or should produce more and larger flakes and maybe even some pickers. Learnin to find and recover the finest of glacial flour I think is the best way to start the rest of my life of bein a prospector and soon eventually a miner. And again just wanted to say super thanx fer takin the time to post this thread with all yer different bits of advice to those of us who are at the beginning their new journey.

RH

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the shout out and congrats on finding some glacial gold in *our* home state! I'm looking forward to doing the same on a visit some day :)

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey there Lanny,

My name is Frank, live in Mi., and I've finished readin this here thread (it took me a couple days to get through it), but just wanted to say thanx a ton fer all yer "nuggets of wisdom", and also to the other contributuers, Beejay, and Kevin and such. I had never had any intention of ever huntin for, or, as you put it "chasin the gold". My only interest ever was huntin for and finding and recovering meteorites here in Mi. and eventually in other states where they are more readily found. I had eventually found a small fragment from a known, witnessed fall that happened in 1921 over Ogemaw and Oscoda counties, then took me a trip out AZ to hunt gold basin at an outing hosted by another forum, got to meet and make friends with Bill Southern and some of them other fellers back in 2011 and found me a couple gold basin L4's. And all this experience thus far had finally got me huntin fer the gold too. I've since joined the GPAA, bought me a couple other different pans, classifiers and an "AMS", did me a good bit of research and fer the last 2 summers have been findin some of that fine, microscopic flour in a small crick over near Lansing. View attachment 1131399

This summer, after havin done a little more research, I've decided to go a little further W and N to explore a different crick that might or should produce more and larger flakes and maybe even some pickers. Learnin to find and recover the finest of glacial flour I think is the best way to start the rest of my life of bein a prospector and soon eventually a miner. And again just wanted to say super thanx fer takin the time to post this thread with all yer different bits of advice to those of us who are at the beginning their new journey.

RH

Thanks for dropping in! Moreover, thanks for your kind words of appreciation, and it really is great that other fine prospectors have dropped in from time to time to add their nuggets of wisdom as well. I find that the longer I keep at this gold chasing, the more I realize there is to know!

That flour gold you've captured looks a lot like the first stuff I ever captured: glacial gold, ground to a fine powder! Nonetheless, it sure is pretty, bright gold, but it takes a lot of it to add up. As well, I wonder how many specks you get to the pan? Our glacial run is pretty slim as to the number of colors in the pan, and that's why I prospect in the gold fields next door as there's nice sassy nuggets, pickers, and flakes. Furthermore, I don't have to strain my eyes trying to see it in the pan.

Good luck as you chase the gold in your next chosen region, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still one of my favorite gold videos, love the big nuggets and the sacks and sacks of placer gold.

The real fun starts at about the 3:40 mark of the video.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got that video also in a prospectus(SP) they sent me when I was going to invest with them. they really looked good!

I'll agree with you that it certainly looked fantastic.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're starting out, and you have no idea where gold that got into a stream came from, or how it can be deposited and redeposited, there's a great link on another site from an older book on the dynamic processes of gold deposition.

A lot of the basics of how gold travels down a mountainside, how gold eventually gets in the river, how gold gets orphaned in bench deposits, how gold hangs up on inside bends, how gold seeks out certain types of bedrock crevices but slips easily over other types, how gold behaves when nature thrusts objects into the stream flow to create suction eddies, how gold loves to drop when a stream widens, how boulders act like gold grabbers, etc. are covered in the excerpt in the link.

Even though the excerpt has some editing errors, the descriptions of how gold behaves and where it hangs up are concisely covered, and there are easy to understand diagrams to illustrate what's being talked about.

So, if you're new, and you want to understand how gold got into the stream, how it gets left high and dry, and how gold behaves once it's in the stream channel, it's a fantastic link that will teach you the basics you'll need to know.

It's a longer read, so settle in when you've got the time . . .

How To Read A Stream Or River

All the best,

Lanny

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, didn't really figure on any such a detailed reply from you so I need to thank you most kindly for that Lanny. As fer yer Q. about how may specks in each pan, well, at first, after lookin in all the usual places, there was just 1-3 specks per pan. But I quickly figured out the closer I got to where the crick dumped into the main river those specks got more abundant and bigger to the point I decided to set me a sluice. I have an "AMS" so it's no big deal to do a clean-out after each 5 gal. bucket of dirt. By then each pan was showin 20+ colors. You need to keep in mind that I am doin all this in southern Michigan and the unspoken message from my state guberment basically is "they ain't no gold here, don't bother lookin, just stay in yer city an go to yer job!" The places I can actually look are very limited to say the least. But anyways, ifn you'd like, I do have a few other photos I could put here for ya? Oh! an the Nolan Placer video, very nice especially after the 3:40 mark. But again, thank you most kindly fer yer response.

Frank

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,

That eye-candy video keeps me motivated, especially when I'm tied up with work and can't get out to the gold fields!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried some different tactics this weekend and sure had fun, got gold too!

Used the Minelab 705 X-Terra, and the little Falcon as I worked on exposed bedrock.

I'll post some pictures and write a bit when I get the chance.

All the best,

Lanny

You can read the story on my Prospecting Tales thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/392994-prospecting-tales-10.html or over on my main thread linked at the bottom of this frame.

Last edited:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried some different tactics this weekend and sure had fun, got gold too!

Used the Minelab 705 X-Terra, and the little Falcon as I worked on exposed bedrock.

I'll post some pictures and write a bit when I get the chance.

All the best,

Lanny

Cool ! :thumbsup: How the X-Terra 705 performed ? Sure need to hear your experience with it .

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool ! :thumbsup: How the X-Terra 705 performed ? Sure need to hear your experience with it .

The more I use it, the more impressed I am with it for detecting gold, smaller gold especially. Of course, it finds the bigger stuff too, but it's a very sensitive machine. It won't go as deep as my 5000, but it's very light and easy to swing all day long.

I like it. Minelab put a lot more in that little machine's gold circuitry than they had to, and the coin hunting technology works very well, and the discrimination does a great job too.

As it's a VLF, it's not designed to tackle super-hot ground, but I used it on some moderately hot bedrock this past weekend, and it found the gold . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I use it, the more impressed I am with it for detecting gold, smaller gold especially. Of course, it finds the bigger stuff too, but it's a very sensitive machine. It won't go as deep as my 5000, but it's very light and easy to swing all day long.

I like it. Minelab put a lot more in that little machine's gold circuitry than they had to, and the coin hunting technology works very well, and the discrimination does a great job too.

As it's a VLF, it's not designed to tackle super-hot ground, but I used it on some moderately hot bedrock this past weekend, and it found the gold . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny for this confirmation. Whenever I try to explain the difference between a VLF and a Pi metal detector to prospectors over here -in Sudan- I get the astonished look and somewhat disbelieve in the VLF technology in general and in the X-Terra 705 in particular :dontknow:

I was introduced to my unit (X-Terra 705 Gold Pack) by an American dealer of Minelab. He visited Sudan before and helped his friend here to set up a MD supplies shop. He said when he goes out he makes sure he takes the X-Terra unit with him, even-though he owned and used most of the Minelab's VLF and PI's. He takes both a GPX and an X-Terra with him, always. The reason is the same with your case ; it finds smaller gold that the fully fledged GPX series sometimes misses :thumbsup:

And as you stated it is not designed for hot mineralized ground. Since most of the gold bearing areas in Sudan -especially in the Northern parts- are less hot than some of the Australian ones, it works good and finds gold !

The problem is to convince MD's about this, some use it but they are not so impressed with it, if you get a chance to observe how they use their units you will be amazed how they get any gold at all :icon_scratch: Most of them don't know their units or know how to set them up properly !
You see a MD that has sensitivity turned up or no ground balance at all or some have the (All Metal) turned on !
And some even use it with the factory preset ! Of course the latter may work on some grounds, but the point here is to try to know your unit then set it up according to your ground and type of gold that you're getting-expecting .

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Lanny for this confirmation. Whenever I try to explain the difference between a VLF and a Pi metal detector to prospectors over here -in Sudan- I get the astonished look and somewhat disbelieve in the VLF technology in general and in the X-Terra 705 in particular :dontknow:

I was introduced to my unit (X-Terra 705 Gold Pack) by an American dealer of Minelab. He visited Sudan before and helped his friend here to set up a MD supplies shop. He said when he goes out he makes sure he takes the X-Terra unit with him, even-though he owned and used most of the Minelab's VLF and PI's. He takes both a GPX and an X-Terra with him, always. The reason is the same with your case ; it finds smaller gold that the fully fledged GPX series sometimes misses :thumbsup:

And as you stated it is not designed for hot mineralized ground. Since most of the gold bearing areas in Sudan -especially in the Northern parts- are less hot than some of the Australian ones, it works good and finds gold !

The problem is to convince MD's about this, some use it but they are not so impressed with it, if you get a chance to observe how they use their units you will be amazed how they get any gold at all :icon_scratch: Most of them don't know their units or know how to set them up properly !
You see a MD that has sensitivity turned up or no ground balance at all or some have the (All Metal) turned on !
And some even use it with the factory preset ! Of course the latter may work on some grounds, but the point here is to try to know your unit then set it up according to your ground and type of gold that you're getting-expecting .

Excellent post!

Very informative, and thanks for taking the time to do the write-up for this thread.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread