On crevacing and bedrock sniping… results from yesterday on South Fork Amerian River

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A day of results and personal insight from a non-expert…

Boy there are so many great tips on these forums, from so many different prospectors and miners!

Lanny in AB’s bedrock sniping tips are great reading… I totally buy into keeping a light pack so as to move fast, hit quick, then on to the next crack, filling a bag or bucket of hopefully high grade pay dirt through the day, so as to maintain productivity… then finishing off at the end of the day by panning the concentrates out.

ON THE OTHER HAND (this is a tip that may be especially helpful for newbies), if you are of limited experience, and/or are prospecting a new watershed or over a type of bedrock you are not familiar with, you may find it helpful to DECREASE production in the name of elucidating more on where and how gold may concentrate. That is, pan every prospected crack or feature out separately…

As most of us know… often there is zero rhyme or reason on where the gold is (except that it is ALWAYS where you find it)… on the other hand, often gold is concentrated in the bottom of deep cracks, but not always… often it’s better concentrated on the insides of bends, but not always… etc… some stretches of river or creek have a certain type of bedrock, with a certain fracture pattern, or strike/dip, that catches gold very effectively, sometimes where you least expect it, making it worthwhile to figure out the “why” so as to concentrate later on the “where”.

My point is, depending on the type of prospector a person is, you might fall into one of the following two camps…

Camp 1: move fast, hit quick, all pay dirt goes into a single bag or bucket for clean up at the end of the day. You prospect more cracks and material thus you should end each day with more gold… but you don't know if most of it came from a single crack or not.

Camp 2: move fast, hit quick, but pan each crack’s pay dirt down separately, in the hopes of elucidating some of the hydrodynamics of placer gold deposition for the particular area you are working in… you will produce less pay dirt than Camp 1, but after some unknown amount of time your insights may allow you to increase your daily yield by high grading the cracks you elect to prospect.

Perhaps this is common sense? I don’t know, as I came up with it myself through my own newfound experiences.

Here is a photo of about 1.5 grams collected yesterday on the South Fork American River… 0.9 grams came from a single shallow crack that I was CERTAIN had already been prospected by someone else (guess not)… the rest was fairly evenly distributed at 3-5 flakes (plus fly poop) per pan. You can bet I took a looong look at why the high-yield crack collected the gold it contained, and I will be looking for cracks morphologically and hydrodynamically similar in the future.

RHbendAu.jpg

Heading back to the same spot on Monday where I hope all that I think I learned yesterday yields continued good results.

Cheers all!

L.G.

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done!!

You've got some solid tips there. Thanks for sharing.

As well, you've got some pretty gold to boot.

My wife found a nice nugget last summer using a gold suction gun in an area that everyone else told her was worked out. However, she has the nugget regardless.

One summer, my son took out incredible gold (multiple nuggets the length of your fingernails, not as wide) from a crevice in a placer pit that was worked out. It was hard work. A big steel bar was involved, as were smaller crevicing tools, but wow, what a load of gold he found.

By weight volume as related to production of values, sometimes sniping pays off the best by far for material moved.

I still love to snipe, and my wife is learning why I still love it.

All the best, and thanks for your kind words,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lotus, I think your spot on with your comments. Specifically speaking of the different approach depending on the experience each individual has under their belt. Makes perfect sense in the self education of a new prospector. You can read all you want but till you put it to the test in your specific location you will learn nothing. Trick is don't get caught up being satisfied once you do find some gold. I find it hard to prospect for a new location cause the fever of bringing home the yeller stuff from a known location is hard to resist.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way to go Lotus!!!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lotus G Great finds.... I was up on the SF too same day and I see you found that crack I left for you LOL... Was that you prospecting from the kayak? Keep up the finding....

Goldenmojo

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New Prospector here! After much consideration of all methods of mining, I've decided to put my money towards sniping. I'm still a little anxious about the type of sniper to use. I have a garret snuffer, but feel it lacks the diameter in the stem and power from the 4oz bottle. Any suggestions on a sniper for a beginner? I'll up on the NF in May if anybody wants to give advice? Haha. Thanks!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
beautiful color there.

Man I would love to go down there some time!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure beats my day at the beach yesterday.....:laughing7:... Nice bit of gold there..:thumbsup:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't forget about floating sections of the river while sniping with a mask and snorkel.

I've seen some mighty sassy gold recovered that way, especially in spots that are impossible to get to otherwise. :wink:

All the best,

Lanny

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Lotus... Like you I like to travel very light and be free to move about. Nice find on that crevice... I know that smile that comes across your face when you roll back the black sand in the bottom of your pan and see the big flakes start to show... :thumbsup:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put back usually from a good find-lousy finds =1cent,bigger the find larger the coin. Ancient ritual and good indicator you ain't the first to the dance as she ain't no virgin that crack-John

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A day of results and personal insight from a non-expert…

Boy there are so many great tips on these forums, from so many different prospectors and miners!

Lanny in AB’s bedrock sniping tips are great reading… I totally buy into keeping a light pack so as to move fast, hit quick, then on to the next crack, filling a bag or bucket of hopefully high grade pay dirt through the day, so as to maintain productivity… then finishing off at the end of the day by panning the concentrates out.

ON THE OTHER HAND (this is a tip that may be especially helpful for newbies), if you are of limited experience, and/or are prospecting a new watershed or over a type of bedrock you are not familiar with, you may find it helpful to DECREASE production in the name of elucidating more on where and how gold may concentrate. That is, pan every prospected crack or feature out separately…

As most of us know… often there is zero rhyme or reason on where the gold is (except that it is ALWAYS where you find it)… on the other hand, often gold is concentrated in the bottom of deep cracks, but not always… often it’s better concentrated on the insides of bends, but not always… etc… some stretches of river or creek have a certain type of bedrock, with a certain fracture pattern, or strike/dip, that catches gold very effectively, sometimes where you least expect it, making it worthwhile to figure out the “why” so as to concentrate later on the “where”.

My point is, depending on the type of prospector a person is, you might fall into one of the following two camps…

Camp 1: move fast, hit quick, all pay dirt goes into a single bag or bucket for clean up at the end of the day. You prospect more cracks and material thus you should end each day with more gold… but you don't know if most of it came from a single crack or not.

Camp 2: move fast, hit quick, but pan each crack’s pay dirt down separately, in the hopes of elucidating some of the hydrodynamics of placer gold deposition for the particular area you are working in… you will produce less pay dirt than Camp 1, but after some unknown amount of time your insights may allow you to increase your daily yield by high grading the cracks you elect to prospect.

Perhaps this is common sense? I don’t know, as I came up with it myself through my own newfound experiences.

Here is a photo of about 1.5 grams collected yesterday on the South Fork American River… 0.9 grams came from a single shallow crack that I was CERTAIN had already been prospected by someone else (guess not)… the rest was fairly evenly distributed at 3-5 flakes (plus fly poop) per pan. You can bet I took a looong look at why the high-yield crack collected the gold it contained, and I will be looking for cracks morphologically and hydrodynamically similar in the future.

View attachment 939717

Heading back to the same spot on Monday where I hope all that I think I learned yesterday yields continued good results.

Cheers all!

L.G.

One of the best write up's on "sniping 101" I've seen and sorry I missed it till now. If it was me, I'd copy and paste the above in http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/398442-gold-hunting-prospecting-tips.html

Great info for all and greatly appreciated! :icon_thumleft:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice......... wish we had bedrock.
:)

You do...you do! The problem is that in a lot of areas the bedrock was covered over by millions and millions of metric tonnes of sediment and rocks as the Eastern Volcanoes eroded to what we now call the Appalachian Mountains and Blue Ridge.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Lotus! That is great insight to us that have mainly concentrated on panning, highbanking and dredging but now want to expand our prospecting to sniping.

Frank

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out today to the SF for some panning. Worked some traps. Good Luck to all.

photo (10).JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread