South Korea

SKBossman

Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone. New to posting on here but ive lurked a bit in the past. Recently got wind that there is some nice chunky gold in the northern parts of south korea and interested in meeting up with others in the area. Pan and metal detector (with luck) will be here soon. Talking to a local about getting a sluice as well. Just touching base on here to see if there are any weekenders on here looking for chatting or meeting.

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Be sure you check the laws before you start!!!!! When I was stationed at Camp Hovey back in the mid 70s there were a lot of things that we couldn't do that we take for granted here in the states. I was (and still am) an avid R/C modeler and flying R/C planes was not allowed. We were 13 Km south of the DMZ.

Here in the states, if you're not a citizen you're not supposed to prospect. I don't know if Korea has the same laws on the books but it would be a good idea to check into that BEFORE you whip out that detector. It doesn't matter where you are, it's up to you to find out the laws and follow them. Seeing if you can find a friendly local to help you is always a good idea too.

Looking back, I can see where there is a good possibility of some nice gold in that area. It wouldn't hurt to check some of the streams and rivers in what we called "Area India". This was a training area that the roads that outlined it looked like the country India. It's been a long time since I was there but I remember several waterfalls that looked like they would be very promising.

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think there are restrictions in US on prospecting by non US'ers
Keep us posted on how you do.

Good luck!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sensitive about thread hijacking here but...there are no restrictions on non-citizens prospecting in the US but there are as regards owning a Federal mining Claim.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll just leave this here:

1872 Mining Act Section 1
That all valuable mineral deposits in lands belonging to the United States, both surveyed and unsurveyed, are hereby declared to be free and open to exploration and purchase, and that the lands in which they are found to occupation and purchase, by citizens of the United States and those who have declared their intention to become such

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
^^^ SEE ABOVE ^^^

Hate to say it but....I told ya gents. Thanks to Clay I've learned a LOT of the mining laws while getting ready to stake and file our claim. There was also a thread started by a young man from England that wanted to do some prospecting while he visited the states in which we went over this same subject in dpeth.

Now I'm not sure about the laws in Korea so there might or might not be a problem. There used to be a lot of rules and regs that we had to follow due to the Status Of Forces Agreement (SOFA) that didn't apply to tourist types. SOFA were the binding laws for us at the time. A lot may have changed in the almost 40 years since I was there, I just don't know.

SKBossman... I see that you display the Korean flag so I'm going to assume that you're a Korean national and not a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, so the rules we had to go by wouldn't apply to you. I would still check with the local regulatory body that handles mining in Korea to make sure that you stay legal. Who knows... you just might be starting a new trend in your country!!! (BTW... If you are from Korea, you're command of the English language is excellent!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions