Found it! Miller table surface

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy Liner Ultra Fresh was:Found it! Miller table surface

Walking through home depot on a clearance run I noticed an upside down holiday mat. What caught my eye was the rubber backing was little circle dimples like a gulf ball. I can't find Attila's post offhand, but here's his Utube video

I'll get the numbers off the mat in case anyone else state side is interested. I did try to peel the front off and it seems to come away pretty easily. Course, 5 inches in may be completely different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the Easy Liner at Lowes this afternoon. Cost was $6.95 for
a piece 20" x 48".:
Stopped by lowes to pick up a motorcycle lift (clearance $60) and wandered around. They had both sizes of the Easy Liner. However, the texture on the smaller roll was much smoother than the wider roll.

EasylinerWideNarrow.jpg

The jack aisle has those truck boxes and on the bottom shelf I noticed this
Lowesboxliner.jpg BoxlineTexture.jpg rsz_img_3074.jpg

The texture seems the same as the easyline if someone wanted blue.

Shop Better Built Truck Box Mat at Lowes.com

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The piece of EasyLiner I laminated to the sealed plywood yesterday
dried well, and the surface is perfectly flat (ie: no bubbles or dimples).
No idea how it'll perform, but looking forward to trying it.

The 2nd table, made from a 12"x30" melamine shelf, has now got 4
coats of the green chalkboard paint on it, and it also is looking like
a superb surface.

Now, just need the water system installed and they're ready to go.
Would like to do a video of both running, side by side, but not sure
of the quality of video my D90 will take. I'm skilled in still photography,
but don't know squat about video. If I do post one, no laughing please...:laughing7:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
looks real nice AZ! the Black Majic sluice i saw had a different looking matting in it. it was smooth (no dimples or pattern) and the material had a softness to it. i wonder if this guy had his matting in upside down?? this looks like another neat little project to do!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece of EasyLiner I laminated to the sealed plywood yesterday
dried well, and the surface is perfectly flat (ie: no bubbles or dimples).
No idea how it'll perform, but looking forward to trying it.

The 2nd table, made from a 12"x30" melamine shelf, has now got 4
coats of the green chalkboard paint on it, and it also is looking like
a superb surface.

Now, just need the water system installed and they're ready to go.
Would like to do a video of both running, side by side, but not sure
of the quality of video my D90 will take. I'm skilled in still photography,
but don't know squat about video. If I do post one, no laughing please...:laughing7:

I've found that using a tripod to hold the video camera still will help keep the video from looking like the blair witch project. :tongue3:
Also found that the smoothing app on you tube only makes the video look like it's drunk.

Other than that if you pan the camera, do it slower than you would normally think or the viewers get dizzy.
My previous videos were pretty bad because I did all those things wrong.

Hopefully my future videos will be much better.

GG~

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After seeing the Black Magic demo at the GPAA Gold Expo in Mesa and saw how well the fine gold stuck to the mat made me a believer. The Easy Liner mat is the same product. All the others mats being shown in this thread are not of the same texture. Many variables are at stake when recovery fine gold. The angle of the table, water flow rate, classified con, the rate the con is introduced to the table. Kinda like the blue bowl, some people perfect the use of the bowl while others don't. I think the Miller table is in the same boat. What works for one miner may not work for another miner.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a shot of both surfaces side by side. The Easy Liner has far more
texture than the green chalkboard paint, as can be seen in the full-sized
pic.

The EL board is ready for plumbing, but the chalkboard will need another day.
Should have had my glasses on when painting, as a hair (one of my few..lol)
fell on the board and got painted over. I lightly burnished the board with a
pad, and will add another couple coats of the green paint tonight.

DSC_0002-2.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a shot of both surfaces side by side. The Easy Liner has far more texture than the green chalkboard paint, as can be seen in the full-sized pic.

Yes its has texture due to the material below the surface but its a flat smooth texture.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
well i went past Lowes yesterday and stopped in and bought some of that EZ liner. ill try to make another Miller table before spring comes. my memoriy must be slipping because i still remeber that mat being more of a soft rubber matting. BUT ill give it a try and maybe (if i have the time) do a comparision test between my slate Miller table and this EZ liner.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, that looks exactly like the material they use on the black magic.

Russau, your mind is not slipping. You very well may have seen an older version of the BM. Kazcoro just got his Black Magic for Christmas and I saw the BM in Jan. at the GPAA expo. The manufacture of the BM may have changed the mat. There was another thread that was started a few weeks ago where someone else said it was the same product, that's what led me to Wally World to look at the liner as I had found a soft smooth rubber at McMaster Carr but 3 times the price of the Easy Liner. I can only go by my memory and what a few members have said so maybe I am slipping.

Last edited:

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have among my collection a small portable miller table that has one of these shelf liners on it. I have it on a small table top miller table (9" x 12") that I use in the house in the winter to run small amounts of material on.

Sluice.JPG

I have tables with the chalkboard, Hobbico mat, truck bed liner, smooth sanded chalkboard, and shelf liner. I have been able to get all of them to work well for me and I have come to the conclusion that it's as someone else here has stated, that it is more the water flow and angle than anything else. I have a fine tune elevation adjustment on all of mine and have found that 1/2" up or down will sometimes make a big difference.

There are two flavors of easy liner shelf mats and I had a hard time deciding which one would work best and finally chose the short roll to try first. I just glued it to a piece of melamine shelving and added sides and water bar to it. If any one else tries the longer roll I would be interested in hearing how it works out. It seems to have a little more texture to it.

Liners.JPG

Out of all the different surfaces I have tried I think the shelf liner works the best and holds some very tiny gold. I think the Hobbico mat would be next. On all the others I have had the occasional very small piece wash down the table and off the end. Not so with this mat. They stay where they are dropped. In fact I have gone through some old material that I had lost some small pieces in and have been able to recover them. Just needs low water flow. It's good stuff.

small gold.JPG

This recovered these small pieces that other tables lost.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have tables with the chalkboard, Hobbico mat, truck bed liner, smooth sanded chalkboard, and shelf liner. I have been able to get all of them to work well for me and I have come to the conclusion that it's as someone else here has stated, that it is more the water flow and angle than anything else. I have a fine tune elevation adjustment on all of mine and have found that 1/2" up or down will sometimes make a big difference.

There are two flavors of easy liner shelf mats and I had a hard time deciding which one would work best and finally chose the short roll to try first. I just glued it to a piece of melamine shelving and added sides and water bar to it. If any one else tries the longer roll I would be interested in hearing how it works out. It seems to have a little more texture to it.

VERY helpful info..many thanks..:icon_thumright:

I've had great success with the 16"x40" green chalkboard paint over
solid maple, and have found many specks of gold so small they can
only be seen with a magnifying glass. Am in the process of making
both a green chalkboard over melamine, and the EL matting over
ply.

Got 2 more 12"x30" pieces of the melamine already cut, and will
be using the liner on both. It is a much less labor-intense way to
build one as there's no sanding or paint fumes to put up with.

Would also agree about the angle and water flow. I was very
unhappy with the performance of the ball valve that so many
use, and after tossing 2 of them in the garbage I opted for
a multi-turn gate valve. It makes a huge difference in setting
the water flow "just right" for the size of material you are working.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Duckbrand Easy Line Ultra Fresh is sold in the shorter narrower roll as well as the longer wider roll. The user needs to watch what they are buying as Duckbrand makes many shelf liners in many textures. The longer roll I purchased is the same as mentioned above by UT as the shorter roll. Although the other roll UT has shown may work just as well. Again its all about angle and water flow. If anyone has trouble locating ELUF I had provide d a link in a earlier post where you may be able to purchase the shelf liner, otherwise Amazon has the ELUF.

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dizzy, I spent quite a bit of time last summer with the chalkboard table and even sanded one version smooth with 320 grit sandpaper and both worked really well. The EL matting is looking good so far and I have been having very good luck with it. I would like to know how your experiences with the two work out.

Yippers on the ball valve connected at the table. That was a disaster for me. I connect mine on a "Y" valve on the pump and only adjust non hose side to adjust the flow. I was going to use the gate valve but as I use this setup with 4 sluices and half a dozen miller tables this was more transportable. I also use 2 pumps, an AC and a 12 volt and this moves between them effortlessly.

Valve.JPG

I also use an elevation screw on the bottom of the table to adjust the height because I found that just a little change can make a big difference and trying to put blocks of wood under to try to get just the right height didn't work very well.

Elevate screw.JPG

AZViper, If you are using the long roll material with the stronger texture, I would really appreciate knowing how it works for you. It looks like the texture may almost be deep enough to act like mini riffles with the small gold and not have to rely on friction alone.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZViper, If you are using the long roll material with the stronger texture, I would really appreciate knowing how it works for you. It looks like the texture may almost be deep enough to act like mini riffles with the small gold and not have to rely on friction alone.

I am using the longer roll but I believe my longer is the same as your shorter roll. What exactly does both of your short and long rolls say on them?

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would prefer a gate valve but could not locate a gate valve for 1/2" CPVC. I could place a gate inline between pump and table and not connected to CPVC pipe. I had planned to use a standoff strap to support the valve to the aluminum box. I may rethink my situation.

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am using the longer roll but I believe my longer is the same as your shorter roll. What exactly does both of your short and long rolls say on them?

The pictures I took of the two rolls, I took in Lowes and the longer roll had a definitely deeper pattern in it. Hard to see from the pictures. Flat lighting. The labels were the same except for the dimensions. Home Depot had the shorter roll as well but had very little pattern as well. I may to go back and see if they still have the deeper patterned rolls at Lowes and pick one up. It may have been a manufacturing fluke.

Small Liner.JPG

Home Depot has some nice looking brass gate valves that would look good on your unit that you might check out. They and Lowes have some adapters that will convert from brass to PVC but I don't know if the CPVC is much different. I wouldn't think so. You could strap the valve to the side of your box near the head and connect it to the PVC water bar. It shouldn't cause near the turbulence that the ball valves will that close. then you can get adapters to connect the gate valve to the hose for your pump. It may take a bit doing finding all the adapters but it can be done. Alternatively you can mount the valve on the side of your water tub or bucket or just connect it right to the pump like I did.

HD Gate Valve.png

Last edited:

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the same matting used on the Black Magic Fine Gold Recovery System. Its a drawer liner material and exactly what they use. It's like $10.00 for a roll at Walmart. Will have my Miller table finished soon.

Viper, just noticed something interesting. Your matting seems to be a little different from what Lowes and Dizzy has. Yours is marked Ultra Fresh and is 20" x 8 feet. Lowes and Dizzy's doesn't have the Ultra Fresh and is 20" x 48". The Lowes version seems to have a little more texture than yours does. Yours is like Lowes short roll and what I used. If yours came from Wally World then they probably have a version that is slightly different than the rest so they can be different. Figures

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would prefer a gate valve but could not locate a gate valve for 1/2" CPVC. I could place a gate inline between pump and table and not connected to CPVC pipe. I had planned to use a standoff strap to support the valve to the aluminum box. I may rethink my situation.

Use a male threaded adapter, 1/2 inch cpvc to 1/2 inch FIP.
Then buy a valve with both ends being 1/2 inch FIP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions