fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jog, you can also find the whole series of pictures on Western mining Alliance website, I think Dec. 2011 or 2012 newsletter. You can also search the KCRA news channel archives as that is who broke the story. Pretty sure it was the American but not real positive on that. I have major CRS syndrome. Good luck and let me know if you can't find it and I'll look when I get home.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
NewImage.jpg
NewImage1.jpg

These pics Jog?

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jog, you can also find the whole series of pictures on Western mining Alliance website, I think Dec. 2011 or 2012 newsletter. You can also search the KCRA news channel archives as that is who broke the story. Pretty sure it was the American but not real positive on that. I have major CRS syndrome. Good luck and let me know if you can't find it and I'll look when I get home.

Your right, that's where I saw them. Thanks...

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty
The pic I was thinking of was the one with the dozer in the river and the rafters floating past in the background.I would like to see some updated pics of that project after the rains if someone could get them, that is if it got hit hard by the storm. I can't say why on this thread but they will go to a good cause and I could use them ASAP if there out there.
Hefty, where were your pics from and what project?

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My favorite is the D-8 out in the middle of the river with a family in a big blue raft going by in front of him

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the project I'm thinking of.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice if someone in the area of this project on the American river could take a few pics, if it was hit hard by the storm & PM them to me.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hefty
The pic I was thinking of was the one with the dozer in the river and the rafters floating past in the background.I would like to see some updated pics of that project after the rains if someone could get them, that is if it got hit hard by the storm. I can't say why on this thread but they will go to a good cause and I could use them ASAP if there out there.
Hefty, where were your pics from and what project?

[h=1]Trinity River Reforestation Alliance[/h]

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great article in the Record Searchlight on this fiasco sunday. Even their own oversight committee says 100% failure,caused much degragation and should be stopped. Bloody insane mess-John

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great article in the Record Searchlight on this fiasco sunday. Even their own oversight committee says 100% failure,caused much degragation and should be stopped. Bloody insane mess-John

John
I couldn't locate the article, can you get a link for it?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is some sic sic sic [h=3]Fish Science Gone Mad[/h] by Hoser John » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:59 am
icon_twisted.gif
Trinity restoration has lost its way
Posted February 8, 2014 at 6 p.m.
.DiscussPrintAAA.Sometimes the best of intentions go awry. That’s understandable. But when things fall apart, rational people don’t forge ahead with the game plan that got them into trouble. They stop, reconsider, and devise a new strategy. Unfortunately, our government agencies don’t always conform to rational processes — and that’s why a tragedy is unfolding on the Trinity River.

The Trinity River Restoration Program (TRRP) is an inter-agency and tribal partnership dedicated to improving salmon and steelhead runs on the Trinity River. When former Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt and the Hoopa Valley Tribe approved the Trinity Record of Decision (ROD) for an ambitious river channel rehabilitation and increased flow program 13 years ago, fisheries advocates were heartened. After all, habitat restoration is second only to increased flows in importance to the fish.

But the “rehabilitation” projects are not creating new habitat for juvenile fish as expected. To date, the work has consisted of bulldozing vegetation and berms along the banks of the main stem river. This is supposed to create juvenile salmon habitat — niches where young fish can rest, feed and hide from predators. More accurately it is a riparian clear-cut, the kind of devastation you would’ve seen in the 1960s and 1970s, before logging rules tightened.

This isn’t just the opinion of fishing guides, environmental groups and locals. It’s the conclusion of an embargoed draft report by the TRRP’s own science advisory board. It found that the accomplishments of channel rehabilitation have been insignificant and that the program has veered dramatically from the tenets of the 2000 Trinity Record of Decision (ROD).

While the upside of all the excavation has been minimal — if that — there have been profound negative impacts, including the destruction of adult steelhead holding habitat, increased river turbidity, the spread of noxious weeds, reduction of public access, heavy truck traffic, noise, and damage to an agricultural water system.

Further, the higher flows authorized by the program have undermined the foundations on the Bucktail Bridge on Browns Mountain Road. A new bridge is sorely needed, but the TRRP has directed Trinity County to look elsewhere for funding, even though it covered replacement of four other Trinity River bridges and a large culvert at Bucktail.

The 2000 Trinity River ROD called for a hiatus in these projects to determine their efficacy, but the work proceeds full bore. Tens of millions of public dollars already have been spent, and the money keeps flowing. Clearly, we should halt all channel rehabilitation projects on the Trinity immediately and evaluate the progress to date. It is likely that any objective analysis will find the benefits are not commensurate with the investment.

That doesn’t mean we should forgo habitat restoration on the Trinity River — but our efforts should go where they will do the most good. The main stem may or may not be suitable for ambitious restoration work, but it’s obvious that clear-cutting riparian vegetation has been an unproductive approach so far.

A rigorous evaluation of efforts to date will provide some guidance on what is possible with the main stem. We do know, however, that stabilizing the Trinity’s watersheds and tributaries will yield real benefits to salmon, steelhead and people, and that’s where our efforts should be focused.

There’s also a larger issue at play here: the inexorable progression of government programs once they’re initiated, whether they’re achieving their goals or not. The channel rehabilitation projects are a runaway train. Their failure is obvious, so blatant that the TRRP’s own science advisory board felt compelled to comment. And yet, they haven’t been stopped.

But stop them we must. Our salmon and steelhead are too precious to squander on unproductive initiatives. And the same can be said about public dollars. The TRRP has a fiduciary responsibility to the American public. It’s time the partnership’s members acknowledge this, and divert funding for channel rehabilitation into productive and proven programs to restore the Trinity River’s fisheries.
Hoser John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread