Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 2nd that LG....I love the ASRA & north (scenic wildlife area?) but have so much conflicting info about what is & is not allowed, where is & is not open to prospect....
No Disrespect meant to ANyone who has taken the time to provide some info & knowledge of that area. I typically figure I should listen to the id10t's w/ the white ford ranger's & the ability to ticket me, but I know they aren't even close to being correct all of the time.....

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe it was in the mea culpa thread that Marshall had about 3 weeks ago. I have s copy of it . I think it was frm Auburn Goldhounds org..

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lotus Geologist

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just called Pioneer Mining in Auburn and they told me that there is a highbanking season and no highbanking is allowed until the end of May.

First I've heard of that...

More rules than you can shake a stick at!

L.G.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya that's the letter from Mike Lynch. According to his statement I don't think the rules will be changed anytime soon because none of the interactions that I have had with the ASRA guys have them reaching out to get my views on mineral collection. The Park Ranger did spy on me for about 15 minutes from the trail across the river at Yankee Jim's a couple of months ago but I took that as he had some sort of personal problem....... I will be keeping a copy of this letter with me anytime I am in the ASRA and I suggest everyone else does too......

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just called Pioneer Mining in Auburn and they told me that there is a highbanking season and no highbanking is allowed until the end of May.

First I've heard of that...

More rules than you can shake a stick at!

L.G.

Did they happen to say what the regs were for highbanking? I work to the high water mark but I don't consider that highbanking. I consider that stream deposited gravel that gets deposited whenever it gets there. I witnessed pink streamers where hung at the YJ bridge at what appeared to be the high water mark in Dec. which I thought was a little strange. I guess I will give ASRA a call and find out about highbanking...

GM

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wetted perimeter, and gravel bars that get flooded is what I remember reading a while back. also aren't you forbidden from removing anything you may profit from? I know they have a weight limit for rockhounds

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wetted perimeter, and gravel bars that get flooded is what I remember reading a while back. also aren't you forbidden from removing anything you may profit from? I know they have a weight limit for rockhounds

The weight limit for rockhounds is not going to be an issue. I have been watching what I eat and they can check the scale if they want.....As for wetted perimeter I am all over that..

GM

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I can pick him up with one hand!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

It says that prospecting for profit is prohibited, so make sure you only take as much gold as is needed to cover the cost of gas, equipment, supplies etc if you intend to sell your gold. Of course, if you're only there because you really, really like to collect shiny stuff, take as much as you want :)

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I throw back all my gold after $10. I put that gold in their parking meter.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So if I drive out from Colorado, I can take a lot of gold to pay my gas bill right? LOL!

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bottom line is the rules stated don't match the email.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure while no guarantee, I have asked the ASRA / Parks people at both Yankee Jim's & Iowa, was told at both sluicn was ok. I have also been told they don't know what they are talking about :icon_scratch:

Kind of "assume" they would be the one's enforcing ? They seem to enjoy writting me parking tickets any chance they get...

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure while no guarantee, I have asked the ASRA / Parks people at both Yankee Jim's & Iowa, was told at both sluicn was ok. I have also been told they don't know what they are talking about :icon_scratch:

Kind of "assume" they would be the one's enforcing ? They seem to enjoy writting me parking tickets any chance they get...
Since they enjoy writing so much, get them to write a short 'signed' letter stating that it's alright for you to sluice and otherwise recover gold in the particular area you're interested in.

Of course, getting any gov. employee to sign his name to something that might be held against him later is kind of "touch and go". (lol) But, from my viewpoint, it's worth a try.

Good luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread