Piru Creek, California

mchlmacdonald

Jan 20, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My pops and I are planning to go up to Piru Creek this weekend to do some prospecting. Heard that about 20 miles has been dredged over the last 30 years...is it still worth it to try and find some color up there? I especially wanted to try out some sniping up there. Seen lots of good videos on youtube with some nice chunky gold due to sniping and I really want to give it a try.

Upvote 0

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had some luck years ago out of the bank. We were just off the campground. Decent color with quite a bit of mercury too so be careful. They say I was "mad as a hatter" by the end of the weekend.:leprechaun-hat:

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just over there a few weeks ago. There is color to be found.but way more lead then gold.
I suggests that you print out and bring all the regulations about prospecting and rock hounding being legal in national Forests.
I had a mild pissing contest with a ranger saying that the removal of minerals is illegal. And my self pulling out papers that say it is legal.
Other than that have fun.

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went there in the past. haven't been there in at least ten years. however I was told that the area closed to prospecting. even panning. I really can't remember who told me this so I could be wrong. now I am curious. Sinbad, what type of prospecting where you doing? did the ranger just drop it? highdesertranger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't panned in Piru Creek, but did spend the better part
of a late Summer afternoon in it.

This was about 30 years back, and I was living in Valencia
at the time. A couple buddies and I had been enjoying a few
(too many) beers, when one of them comments about how it
would be a hoot to "raft" down Piru Creek that afternoon.

First thought."...is this guy nuts ???"

Well, we scraped up a couple of cheap glorified pool rafts, and
along with a case of beer we set off to drift the creek. Only one
minor issue....there wasn't enough water to fully float the rafts
for the majority of our planned route. Must have bounced my
arse off of every boulder in that creek for a couple miles..
DOHH-1.jpg~original

Best I remember, we did actually have a good time, bruises
and all. Never tried it again, however..:laughing7:

OP
OP
M

mchlmacdonald

Jan 20, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haven't panned in Piru Creek, but did spend the better part
of a late Summer afternoon in it.

This was about 30 years back, and I was living in Valencia
at the time. A couple buddies and I had been enjoying a few
(too many) beers, when one of them comments about how it
would be a hoot to "raft" down Piru Creek that afternoon.

First thought."...is this guy nuts ???"

Well, we scraped up a couple of cheap glorified pool rafts, and
along with a case of beer we set off to drift the creek. Only one
minor issue....there wasn't enough water to fully float the rafts
for the majority of our planned route. Must have bounced my
arse off of every boulder in that creek for a couple miles..
DOHH-1.jpg~original

Best I remember, we did actually have a good time, bruises
and all. Never tried it again, however..:laughing7:

Haha, what a great story Dizzy. I've been up there plenty of times for fun and games, but I never would have thought it was dredged that much and for so long though. I don't think I've ever seen a prospector up there, only fishermen.

And what a small, small world we live in. I've lived in Valencia (Newhall to be specific) for all 27 years I've been on this planet. :tongue3:

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using my stream sluice. The ranger did drop it, with a short sort of mutter, he said. "if I don't see it then I won't write them up." ( that comes into play because I had already finished for the day and was putting my equipment back in the car. When he came rolling up.) I should add that 3 other people where up there prospecting. They were still out and down from the lot, out of sight from the parking spots. And they didn't have to deal with officer friendly.
Oh and I almost forgot he seemed to think the only way to prospect there is to be part of gpaa do to the claim close by. It's sort of hard to recall all the particulars it was a long conversation so if you guys want to ask what he said about removal of sediments from out side the creek and what not. we talked about it all. just ask.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mmac Piru certainly was dredged. Some very nice stuff taken out of there. Talk to P Keene about it

OP
OP
M

mchlmacdonald

Jan 20, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man I keep looking and looking for prospecting regulations for the Los Padres National Forest...I can't find them anywhere. Is there a site that has rules & regs for prospecting in ALL national forest in California or do I need to find them for the specific one I plan to go to?

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man I keep looking and looking for prospecting regulations for the Los Padres National Forest...I can't find them anywhere. Is there a site that has rules & regs for prospecting in ALL national forest in California or do I need to find them for the specific one I plan to go to?

If you find anything on line to support what you're doing in that area, print it out and take it with you. CA has regulations from the 1865 to present day. 149 years allowed plenty of time for all of the FED agencies (each have their own "laws") to intervene and most are in opposition to the General Mining Act of 1872.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each district is its own little fifedom run by its own little Caesar. Who in turn answers to a bigger Caesar and so on. Layer after layer of Fed Gov. horse cr^%p. Do I seem a little bitter?

OP
OP
M

mchlmacdonald

Jan 20, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Each district is its own little fifedom run by its own little Caesar. Who in turn answers to a bigger Caesar and so on. Layer after layer of Fed Gov. horse cr^%p. Do I seem a little bitter?

Whatever bitterness you may be displaying is well deserved IMHO. I just want the reg's in writing so the rangers can kiss my gold-plated behind if they come cause trouble. All I want to do is crevice and maybe snipe a little bit underwater.

OP
OP
M

mchlmacdonald

Jan 20, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
would that be sufficient enough to keep them off my backs? My dad is doing the metal detecting...i'll be screwin around on the rocks and in the water (if there is any).

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
would that be sufficient enough to keep them off my backs? My dad is doing the metal detecting...i'll be screwin around on the rocks and in the water (if there is any).

I believe so. The LEO should have something IN WRITING on him to show you are in violation, or have something that supersedes what you have. A good attitude and a willingness to learn and abide by the "rules" will most likely get you off with a warning.

Just keep a low profile...leave it like you found it and you'll be fine.:thumbsup:

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do they search you out just seeing a vehicle ? can one get clean far away from the ranger radar ? never hunted there but im about a hour away

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up on the hill side about 100' or are renants of the old riverbed. Pretty good to drywash. In a couple months really watch out for rattlesnakes . Thick and mean

Paz

May 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been prospecting and mining up in Piru creek. If anyone else that has gone up there wants to go let me know. If anyone also has information about the area as well I'd like to know about it. I've been trying to understand the geology and mining history. Ypu can email me at [email protected]

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That area just got a nice little rain storm.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in 1982 I helped build a hunters cabin back in beyond blue point campground. IT was The Hinojosa family that had exclusive rights to use the land and the cabin that was built for the lease holder at the time. It was strictly for hunting only and not once in the 20-30 times I was there did I see anyone prospecting. And I know the Hinojosas would of said something about trespassers prospecting if they had seen any.
The deer hunting was excellent at the time and we had seen a few bears in there as well. I'm sure that property has changed hands so many times by now that the Hinojosas wouldn't even know who has the rights today but the prospecting in that area looked really good. Back in the day they released condors in there, it's was a very remote area and that was about the same time we stopped hunting back there

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread