Making A Miller Table Using A Rubber Mat For The Surface - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Making A Miller Table Using A Rubber Mat For The Surface

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2969 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Ill have to try it and see.
    There is a yuotube video ona person that tested matting against another miller table but will have to go watch it.
    One person a few posts back said he tested it and it did not matter.
    So, I can go with that I guess.
    Looks the same to me no matter which way I look at it.

I am trying different sizes of pumps from HF, up to 200gph, and they wont keep the table wet.
    I tried my 500gph from my spiral wheel and it seemed to blow to much out to fast.
    Will keep looking into it.
    When i reduced the 500gph it did not keep the table wet.
    I am using the duck brand ultra fresh.
    A few observations and suggestions.
    It sounds like part of your problem is that you are not regulating the flow with some type of valve. Also, the table must be level side to side and it also must be flat end to end. If you have those then the water has no choice except to cover the entire area with an equal depth of water end to end and side to side. From there you can regulate the speed of flow by tilting the table and by total water introduction (valve control).
    Don't forget to classify your feed to equal sizes (suggest you use 30, 50 and 100 mesh and with plus 30 mesh... just pan). Some adjustment of tilt and amount of feed water will probably be necessary as you change the size of your feed material. I would start out without hardly any tilt then increase it gradually until you are clearing the waste and the gold is static.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Oct 03, 2016 at 03:57 PM.
    russau and Jeff95531 like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Jan 2012
    Pinal Mountains,Arizona
    Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD. White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013 Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
    519 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks, will try all your suggestions.
    arizau and russau like this.
    It's OK, it's over, now change your shorts.

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    You have to treat the water/mat with a product found in the dishwasher isle at the store. Sorry as the product completely slipped mine. The product allows the water to flow down the mat eliminating the dry spots. I am sure someone will chime in and know the name of the product. I may have mentioned the product in this thread somewhere.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

au
    dave

Aug 2015
    Eastern Victoria
    Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
    593 times
    Sluicing, crevassing and general dirt diggin', fishing, family.
    dishwasher rinse aid or jet dry

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4436 times
    AZViper I got my slate Miller table sold (potentially) and Im gathering my parts to build your Miller table. Most of the parts I already have and had for years. I bought the drawer liner awhile back BUT I wish I could find some in lt. green or lt. blue for a good contrast to the B.S. and fine gold!
    Jimmydolittle likes this.

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    AZViper I got my slate Miller table sold (potentially) and Im gathering my parts to build your Miller table. Most of the parts I already have and had for years. I bought the drawer liner awhile back BUT I wish I could find some in lt. green or lt. blue for a good contrast to the B.S. and fine gold!
    Been away too long. Russ did you get the table built?
    Rosey Morgan likes this.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4436 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AzViper View Post
    One of the common problems with the Blue Bowl was the water valve was installed at the inlet of the bowl. When using a ball or gate valve it creates a half moon affect when adjusting the water flow this allowing a disturbance in water flow. The same can be said using a ball or gate valve to close to the inlet of the water into the Miller Table. The valve I selected to use allows the flow of the water into the spray bar to be undisturbed due to its design, water flows around the cone shape valve 360 degrees within the ID of the pipe. For those using a ball or gate valve it's important to mount the valve a good 18" from where the water is entering the spray bar, by doing so the water between the valve and spray bar has a chance to even out to a constant flow.

In the drawing below shows how the water flows around this type of valve. As the knob is turned the two components come together to close the valve. When open the water flows unrestricted.

To eliminate the half moon ripple in the water you just need to add about 12 inch's of hose to move the valve back and this will cure that problem! Mr. "Hoser" gave this advice years back ! THANK YOU John!!

us
    Feb 2019
    Dawnzer Lee Light
    31 times
    Prospecting
    Hi, Russau! A most excellent reply. Good on you! I would add, that the "self-healing hobby mats" make excellent DIY Miller table builds. I'm thinking Hobbico. There are other brands out there that are blue, not green Hobbico.
    I myself, use disassembled framed slate from places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Love the natural "tooth" on slate.

I created a baffle infront of the water inlet, a multi-perforated tube, feeding my Megan's Moth DIY table. I used Rainbird fittings and a heat gun to relax the tiny tubing so the barbed fittings would slide into the clear tubing. The downsized and finished build is posted below. The baffle is pop riveted in, and swivels up and down to regulate laminar flow.

PS. I just asked CP's widow, Denise about you a few days ago. Wanted to know if you were still kickin'. I'm delighted to see your post here this morning. You are a rare treasure to the prospecting world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	1736187

Baffle before attaching:

Name:	baffle009.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	1736188

Baffle after pop riveting into position:

Name:	baffleIN010.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	1736189

Disassembled child's sized, chalk-board genuine slate
    from hobby retailer (Brand name: Rose Art):

Name:	Dissassemble Slate.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	792.0 KB 
ID:	1736198

Now I'm going to go add your post attachment and Hoser John's instructions to my file!

Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    To eliminate the half moon ripple in the water you just need to add about 12 inch's of hose to move the valve back and this will cure that problem! Mr. "Hoser" gave this advice years back ! THANK YOU John!!
    Last edited by Rosey Morgan; Jul 24, 2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Chalkboard Slate actual photo & Brand

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links