Making A Miller Table Using A Rubber Mat For The Surface - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Making A Miller Table Using A Rubber Mat For The Surface

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4091 times
    Prospecting
    Wow! Awesome! Even with the flow you had, the gold stuck like glue! Glad you explained the air bubbles! Can't wait for part two! Great job once again AZ!
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff95531 View Post
    Wow! Awesome! Even with the flow you had, the gold stuck like glue! Glad you explained the air bubbles! Can't wait for part two! Great job once again AZ!
    Jeff everytime the bush enters the water air becomes trapped. So what looks like gold flowing downward is air bubbles. The matting holds the gold nicely even at the water flow I was using. I also need to mention I had used Jet Dry.
    Last edited by AzViper; Mar 03, 2014 at 03:42 AM.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4091 times
    Prospecting
    Hey, I forgot to ask. What mesh did you use before you ran the material?
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    That was 30 mesh that I had peppered with gold. Less of angle on the table and even more flow should get even bigger gold to stay put while washing away all other con. More testing is needed to find the limits of the table. Sure would be nice to have the table set up in the field and take the con from the trommel or drywasher classify it down and run it through the table and sweep into the GLORY HOLE... Oh wait that's old man Hoffman's quote...

My snuffer bottle is not needed.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
    355 times
    Prospecting
    That's kind of where I am at. If I see something big in the pan, I'll snuffer it, otherwise, just catch it at the table.
    Men are strong so long as they represent a strong idea they become powerless when they oppose it. Sigmund Freud

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
    355 times
    Prospecting
    I do think I am going to need to mod it to take a snuffer bottle in the corner, though. Way easier than breaking out the snuffer every other minute.
    russau likes this.
    Men are strong so long as they represent a strong idea they become powerless when they oppose it. Sigmund Freud

us

Sep 2012
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kazcoro View Post
    I do think I am going to need to mod it to take a snuffer bottle in the corner, though. Way easier than breaking out the snuffer every other minute.
    Just be careful is drilling the hole. I used a Unibit and I ended up with metal filings between the aluminum and the mat. I had to pull the mat off to clean the metal filings and reinstall the mat.

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    355 times
    Prospecting
    I didn't search the whole thread, what did you use to secure the top of the snuffer to the table?

us
    Oct 2013
    Utah
    Bounty Hunter
    37 times
    Prospecting
    Looks like it's working great! I don't know if you have run a big variety of materials yet but I would be interested in knowing if some materials on your mat reacts like it does on the Lowe's mat. I have found that some very fine black sand just glues down to the mat and even running a high volume of water will hardly move it. A friend brought over some iridescent mica looking material from a mine in Nevada that he had crushed mostly into fine powder. I put it on the table and the extremely tiny particles seemed to be glued to the mat. The +12 material moved on out but the -100 stuff and smaller wouldn't move. Even had a hard time brushing it off. The material seems to have a very strong attraction to some materials. Probably why it works so well with the gold.

us

Sep 2012
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    This is the second test running of my new Miller Table. The angle of the table was cut down to 5 degrees and the water flow rate was reduced to the point the water was at times not covering the table. During the video I was adjusting the angle and water flow trying to find that sweet spot. I am learning how to use the table as I go while capturing it on video. At the end there was some really small fine gold laying on the mate. I did find some very small fine gold about half way down the 36" table and this was due to adding to much con to quickly. Again its a learning experience in figuring out what works best for different size gold being captured.

us

Sep 2012
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by UTAvalanche View Post
    Looks like it's working great! I don't know if you have run a big variety of materials yet but I would be interested in knowing if some materials on your mat reacts like it does on the Lowe's mat. I have found that some very fine black sand just glues down to the mat and even running a high volume of water will hardly move it. A friend brought over some iridescent mica looking material from a mine in Nevada that he had crushed mostly into fine powder. I put it on the table and the extremely tiny particles seemed to be glued to the mat. The +12 material moved on out but the -100 stuff and smaller wouldn't move. Even had a hard time brushing it off. The material seems to have a very strong attraction to some materials. Probably why it works so well with the gold.
    I have yet to run the 100+ con but will tomorrow and get back with you. As you know the angle needs to be adjusted and water flow for each of the mesh sizes. What I am doing right now is trying the table out with different size gold from very very fine to the bigger gold to see what sticks and holds. I need to find a better brush as I am having gold get stuck in the bristles.

I may be wrong in my thinking but I have to wonder if keeping the angle at a steeper slope will allow the smaller gold to hold better as the edges of the gold will catch in the small ridges of the mat. In the second video I am having to catch small gold traveling even with the water flow cut so far back that at times the table is becoming dry.
    Last edited by AzViper; Mar 03, 2014 at 09:57 PM.

us
    Oct 2013
    Utah
    Bounty Hunter
    37 times
    Prospecting
    It looks like you are getting the hang of it and things are going well. It takes some time to get these figured out and tuned in for the different sizes of gold. Gold from different parts of the country will act very differently as well. Once you get them wired, they can be one of the handiest tools you have. You just have to keep playing with them and trying different angles and water flows.

It's strange the way that material has such a strong affinity for metals but has a very little with water at low volumes. I've scrubbed mine with soap and a scrubbing pad and even lightly sanded it and it makes no difference. I've never run into this with any other surface.

No matter what the surface, you will always have one or two flakes that will take off down the table and they won't necessarily be the smallest either. I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I wonder if they are not pure gold and so don't have the weight.

I have a box with many brushes that I have tried this year from the very expensive the the very cheap. Still looking but the best I have found so far is a nylon basting brush found in housewares dept of supermarkets. Has courser bristles and gold doesn't seem to stick to it very well. Looks like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brush.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	954435

Looking forward to how the next run goes.

us

Sep 2012
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kazcoro View Post
    I didn't search the whole thread, what did you use to secure the top of the snuffer to the table?
    Keith I have redone my vial bottle setup. Using a step drill bit I drilled (From the bottom) the hole slightly bigger than the vial cap leaving the rubber mat with a hole about 1/8" smaller than the hole in the aluminum. With a sharp razorblade I cut slits in the mat from the inside hole of the mat to the edge of the aluminum, I cut maybe 10 slits. From the topside of the Miller Table I forced the cap into the hole. This made a very tight fit as the rubber mat was between the cap and the aluminum. Next I set the cap slightly below the rubber mat surface. I then took super glue and applied glue the circumference of the cap. Then using clear Silicone I applied a layer the circumference of the cap on the bottom side.

I also picked up a rubber bristle brush I think will work perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAvalanche View Post
    Looking forward to how the next run goes.
    My next video I am going to run 100 mesh and mostly black sand that's peppered with all sizes of gold to see how well the black sand clears the mat. I will do this on Wednesday as I want to give the Silicone a good 24 hours to setup and be completely dry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T261.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	954747 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T262.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	954748 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T263.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	954749
    Jeff95531 and russau like this.

us

Sep 2012
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    Here is a video of the 100 plus mesh black sand being run down the table. I did not add any gold to it but specks of gold can be seen sticking to the mat. I did not bother to retrieve them as I was busy scraping the pan to make a quick video. As you can see the black sand clears the mat quickly. The water flow is very lite as very fine gold is attaching to the mat. The video camera just does not pick it up.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5863 times
    Prospecting
    Looks to be running very well...

With my table I'll run the -100 mesh a bit slower, but if the
    gold stickin' then you're good to go. I have learned to re-run
    the -100 cons a second time, just to make sure I got it all.

That idea of the sponge is a WINNER!

Last night I finished a Miller Table that was made for Ken down in Cal., and
    rather than use a piece of material as a "flattener" I simply cut a piece
    of towel to 12"x16" and folded it over several times till it was about 3"
    wide. Just set it under the spray bar and once it was fully soaked
    it released the water evenly across the table. Couldn't ask for more!

Not like you've never heard this, but Dude, you're one hellofa fabricator..
    Last edited by DizzyDigger; Mar 05, 2014 at 08:31 PM.
    russau likes this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links