Tips of Crevicing?

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

I tried out crevicing last time I was up at the Mother Lode and got good results. I had no idea what I was doing besides digging the dirt out with a pick, then panning it out. That's as much as I know. Do you guys have any tips for me? Going up again soon, and I wanted to know if someone could answer my question. When getting the dirt out of the crevices do you want to go deep into the bedrocks crevice to get better gold? Or just get the surface dirt and wait for it to fill up again. I'm talking about small crevices not huge ones the you could fit a shovel in. Any answers and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
H&F

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clean them out until your scraping rock and clean some more. Serious, you will find the most and usually bigger gold at the bottom. Don't be afraid to flush them out with water as well. Hurt Hawk has some good crevicing videos and Lanny B. also posted a good link on a sniping article at Gold Fever Prospecting.com. Good Luck,

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a Dewalt DC500 or DC515K Cordless vacuum. I saw a really neat video on Youtube where some one was using one on crevices.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The big question is do you want to snipe on dry riverbed or snipe underwater in the summertime? Different tools are needed and cand be made or bought for cheap.

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
What law says that no vacuum is allowed 100 Yds from a river stream lake. Does it fall under the stupid dredge law?

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a vacuum, A VACUUM! I'm getting dirt from small crevices that will be filled up AGIAn by the storms washing the dry down. Do they think we have giant vacuums that's going to suck a hole the size of a buss with a vacuum? These environmentalists think we are destroying the homes of fish. What happens when a flood comes? That would so more damage than a few dredges I'm sure. But still a vacuum. Sucking up dirt. I can't believe it. Thanks though followup I almost bought one of those thinking it was legal.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pour water in and suck it up with a gold sucker. I have gotten some good gold that way.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole thought process [if you can call it that] is an arbitrary oppisition to ANY consumptive use of our natural resourses. Look what they have aqccomplished with the timber industry. Read anything you can about the eco-terrorists Earth First.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
If you are in an area where bedrock exists and you have crude tools like a spoon, something like a hanger or crevice tool that will penetrate a foot or more with an L bend on the last inch or 2 , a pan, snuffer bottle and hammer and chisel, you are set. Cracks and crevices are a prospectors dream. Find one that looks promising and clean out as well as you can, then pan it down to see if you are finding gold, if you are not move to the next crack. You will be surprised at how much gold you will find. Sometimes it isn't how much material you are moving but the quality of material you are finding. Experience comes with that.

Last edited:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mother nature has the biggest suction dredge going. When there"s flooding. Its worked for millions of years.There plenty of fish and frogs. How can suction dredging be bad. Where the science behind fish and games thinking. Need to cut there budget. They have to much time on there hands. Thinking up this crap bad for the fish bologna.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We were dredging one year during a big rainstorm that dropped a huge landslide right into the river. The river was chocolate brown for three days. I've never seen that much sediment in the river in my life. But when the river level dropped and the water cleared, guess what? That's right, the fish were right back where they always were.

We'd have had to have had close to a million dredges to sediment the water like that, and that's probably a guess on the low side. It's all BS on a political scale unheard of in any era whatsoever. There is no credible science to support a ban on dredging for harming the stream ecosystem. Moreover, we are always removing mercury, pieces of rusting iron, lead, etc., etc., from the stream ecology while we dredge.

Enough of my rant, and all the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What law says that no vacuum is allowed 100 Yds from a river stream lake. Does it fall under the stupid dredge law?

I wouldn't worry about it man....the law also says you cant drive more than 70 on I5, nobody obeys that. It is aimed at dredging. In fact if you live in Calif you have probably done something illegal today and dont even realize it yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the truth. I once picked the state flower near a cop. Nothing happened. Plus there are so many laws in CA I can't keep track anymore

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know Vacuums were illegal there, You might have to go old school and use a paint brush. I wonder if you could use an air tank and a blowgun attachment to blow the crevice out?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions