whats on this quartz rock?

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems common, a variety of quartz mixed with other rock and mineral.

Good luck

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
The black looks to be graphitic slate. The circled area (and below it to the side) looks like druzy to me.

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Photographs are of limited utility for rock and/or mineral identification. It is near impossible to correctly observe a mineral's luster (which is often diagnostic) from a static photo.

That said, the overlying "white" you speak of is mostly likely quartz of a different genesis than the underlying quartz (simply because SiO2 is the most common mineral). Alternatively, and near equaly likely, the "white" is plagioclase or calcite. Impossible to tell without having the sample in front of me; however, exceedingly easy to tell with 100% confidence if the sample was in front of me (or any other geologist or mineralogist).

Best... L.G.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Photographs are of limited utility for rock and/or mineral identification. It is near impossible to correctly observe a mineral's luster (which is often diagnostic) from a static photo.

That said, the overlying "white" you speak of is mostly likely quartz of a different genesis than the underlying quartz (simply because SiO2 is the most common mineral). Alternatively, and near equaly likely, the "white" is plagioclase or calcite. Impossible to tell without having the sample in front of me; however, exceedingly easy to tell with 100% confidence if the sample was in front of me (or any other geologist or mineralogist).

Best... L.G.

Sounds like a pretty good guess without having the sample in front of you! Much better than I could do.

YWEVIS, it appears that the quartz and whatever else was in solution was forced up along some fracture zones (maybe in multiple events), then it solidified and left the white solid fillings in the cracks.

The cool thing about this process is how metallic minerals are often forced up in solution with the nonmetallic minerals. I've seen some beautiful gold, copper, pyrite, galena, etc. cubed or crystallized out in this way in similar "crack fills".

Great question on your part as that's the way to learn. The only dumb question when you don't know what you're looking at is the one you never ask.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread