Books/Suggested Reading

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are many good books for beginners, but more info can be obtained by joining a local club. That info would be specific to your area.

Welcome to a rewarding hobby, good luck.

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm currently about halfway through 'Fists full of gold' by Chris Ralph. So far seems to be quite good as far as the basics are concerned, though I'm hoping for a bit more depth in the second half. I've learned a few handy tips from it, but mostly so far it's covering what I've already learned from this forum and from looking at youtube videos and other prospecting sites. If you want all the information in one place rather than having to go scouring through old posts and internet videos I'd say this book is a pretty good place to start.
Check out used books on Amazon - I got 'Fists full of gold' for just under $20, and scored the 'Handbook for Prospectors' by Richard Pearl for only $5. Sorry, can't give you a review on that second one yet as I haven't started it :)

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Someone on here posted a whole lot of books that could be downloaded, a couple months back, might do a search to see if you can find them. I don't recall who posted it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second 'Fists full of Gold,' by Chris Ralph.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For an account of 1930's depression era mining, before all the restrictions - "Bacon and Beans From A Gold Pan" - ck Amazon for it. It will get your motor running.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of Jim Straight's books.K. Von Mueller's Dredging and his Vibrostatic Concentrator book [ if you can find it]. Always something to be learned from KVM

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Besides The Handbook for Prospector's by Richard Pearl and the older editions of the same book by VonBernewitz,try and find How to find Gold by the late great Aussie author Ion Idreiss.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For an account of 1930's depression era mining, before all the restrictions - "Bacon and Beans From A Gold Pan" - ck Amazon for it. It will get your motor running.

(+ 1) on the "Bacon & Beans ..." it will definitely stoke the fever. Loved it. (not a how-to, but a fascinating bio).

For knowledge & technique (+ 1) to what PaulieNoNuggets suggested -- "Fists Full of Gold".

And one of my favs still is one of my first: "Recreational Gold Prospecting for Fun and Profit" by Gail Butler. She is a third generation prospector, following her Dad and Grampa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread