Permits and bonds

muttman

Greenie
Feb 24, 2014
Hello all,

New to the site and have a few questions.

I'm headed to Idaho and western Montana this summer to look at some claims. I'm willing to buy 2 different claims since I will be in the area for the entire summer and can't stay on one claim too long.

My questions are

How difficult is it to get permitted for a claim using a highbanker in these states?

Also, I if a claim is permitted already, how hard is it to switch classification to a more intensive permit?

Here's my basic plan:

We live in South Korea ( but all from North America ). We are planning to take our fathers out for the summer to prospect. We will have three months off, no debt, and 30,000$ to try to give it a go ( but the adventure will be worth the cost ).

I want to learn how to do this as I'm now headed back to the states for good. I'm looking to learn a new career and have the time and work ethics to get it done.

If y'all have any input let me know.

Thanks for any input, Mutt

Upvote 0

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Have you ever panned before? Lota people dont know what goes into prospecting. If you wana talk really setting up send me a pm. For now id have to advise starting with a pan and dirt. DONT whatever you do, purchase a claim without testing and researching it. You must visit the claim, sample, then think about claiming. Finding open claims is difficult. Mining in general is difficult.
If you have $30,000 to spend then id suggest talking to the blm about an intent form. If you want to go big bonds must be bought.
... All this comes full circle and means jack all and NO gold will be found and put into a glass tidy little vial if you CANNOT pan properly!

OP
OP
M

muttman

Greenie
Feb 24, 2014
Yes I've been panning and plan to take my time researching and testing the claim. I won't be buying this summer unless its something basic and my friends will be able to prospect it. My goal is 2016 so I have some time.

As for size and amount of work We are under no delusions on the difficultly of this. We will not be using any heavy machines. We want to to it by hand as much as we can. As for 30,000$. That's for food land equit for 6 people. We all have our own outdoors and work experience that will help this project.

Thanks. I will pm you.

Mutt

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome muttman. You're gonna love it here. I wish you and your friends all the best in your conquest out west. My 2 cents...get some pay dirt on line (I got mine from elkie13 on ebay who is also a member here). I bought it to dial in my sluice because I was too chicken to use what I myself had found. Long story short, I had a great time using, losing and recovering the gold. It taught me a lot and was less than 20 bucks shipped stateside.
PS, you can practice with BB's, but who wants to look for BB's?:icon_scratch:

1Beachnut

Greenie
Apr 3, 2011
Not sure what state you plan on going to, but here in the Soviet Republic of Kalifornia you are "allowed" to stay on BLM or Forestry land for 2 weeks, then you must move - leave the area. So even IF you find somewhere worthy of your effort, you might get "the law" down on ya for staying too long. The only good news is the Forestry in CA has been cut way back on funding, so their are not many "rangers" out there anymore. But then,, you get the Fish & wildlife that are worse than the rangers to deal with, and the planes looking for pot growers, so they will see you... Remote BLM land might be a little less problematic. I was in the Mojave for a few weeks, and sad to say their were some people from Florida trying to eek out a living prospecting. This guy was at a point he was trying to hire himself out as a laborer to "make enough money for gas to bet back home". So if it is just for the fun of "the hunt" and not at all about "getting rich", you still can have a great time finding a very little amount of gold out there! Join the GPAA and hit many different claims in different area's, for fun. I would say,, trying to "buy" someones claim would be a nightmare, let alone you can not camp on a claim for more than 2 weeks. So many worthless "Rich claims" out there for sale... If its just to have a fun summer prospecting, GPAA would be your best bet as you could go all over the place, see many different sights and places, get some gold, and not be a target for some power monger Ranger / Warden.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I would say,, trying to "buy" someones claim would be a nightmare, let alone you can not camp on a claim for more than 2 weeks.

Learn the MINING LAWS!
And delete the word camping from your vocabulary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muttman

Greenie
Feb 24, 2014
I hope to be in Idaho or Western Montana.

If I do get a claim or two. Moving from claim to claim is possible. I feel if I'm there for 3 months I need to have a legal claim so nothing is fishy to any BLM official.

So if anyone has info about buying a claim then transferring the permit to another person I would appreciate it.

Also.

If I were to be using a large multi person highbanker ... How and what permit would be needed?

I've researched a lot but I'm not comfortable with what I found for info.

I got if you panning and sluicing. What permit is needed

But for highbanking , it's about how much dirt you move. They say around of half an acre of moved dirt. I understand the size of the area as in land measurement. But as for dirt measurement I have zero clue

As for reclamation : I would guess its fill up anything you dig out?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread