A weekend tease

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So after convincing the girlfriend to head to the hills with me, headed out to gold country this morning. I brought my Angus MacKirk expedition (Hadn't used it yet) and a few pans. I knew I was going to be limited as to time I spent there, but, bringing the girlfriend made the trip a little less productive than it would have been solo.

She didn't want to make the one mile hike to the American and so I settled for messing around in a seasonal creek for a few hours hoping that I could work the little bits of bedrock for a picker or even a fleck of gold.

I managed to pull some decent flow into the MacKirk from the little water that was flowing and worked what should have been a good gold pocket, had there been gold there, but didn't even pull a speck of flour gold. I guess not all waterways in gold country have gold - either that or this had been worked out long ago.

Kind of a disappointing day, really wanted to take off and get to a few spots I know about that were near us but I guess all in all it was quality time with the girlfriend in the outdoors!

Next weekend, or the weekend after, solo trip. Dreaming of big gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ DD Coil, 30" BGT Prospector, Blue bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been there my friend.... Never quite as productive when I bring the wife, and child, and baby, and dog............. but, on the bright side half the fun sometimes is just getting out and enjoying what nature put out there for us... In any case, hope you get to go solo soon. Happy Hunting!!!!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because you didn't find gold doesn't mean the creek is barren or worked out. You can clean three cracks without a speck and find several grams in a crack just a few feet away. Seasonal creeks are spotty and don't have as defined paystreaks as the bigger waterways do.

OP
OP
AU_Solitude

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just because you didn't find gold doesn't mean the creek is barren or worked out. You can clean three cracks without a speck and find several grams in a crack just a few feet away. Seasonal creeks are spotty and don't have as defined paystreaks as the bigger waterways do.

True, I guess I should have specified the stretch I worked was absent of gold.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why it's called prospecting as still seeking. Takes time to pay your dues but with experience you can get much better at "tells" and know where to not waste your time. You sound pretty lucky as ya got a gal who gave it a go and that is indeed golden all by itself-John

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not finding anything goes hand in hand with any kind of prospecting. Your experience on that trip also taught her the first lesson in prospecting, "If everybody found some the first time out we'd call it finding."

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never try to explain the reasons why to my wife. I she wants to go prospecting she has to pay for parking.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread