Water-powered dredge

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever built or know of a portable,stream driven dredge that is powered by a water-wheel?

The set-up would likely be a complete pain unless the waterwheel could be easily placed at varying angles/distances from the dredge site. It would also make sense if the wheel size/depth/width could be adjustable to take maximize the suction power for any given stream size....

I could not find anything when I searched the forum or am too dense to know what I was looking at.

I doubt that it would pass any banned dredging criteria, but I really prefer the absence of a running motor when prospecting ( but am getting too lazy to dig all the time).

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would guess that by the time gear reductions were taken into account, the wheel would have to be about twenty feet tall.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
close as your going to get would be a gravity dredge try searching for that many things will come up

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can think of a way to do it in a divincian way of only water power, but it would take a few devices. First one would lift water up to a storage tank/ pond.( done by a ramp pump. Or a water wheel driven water screw.) The pond would then have to drain down a pipe that compresses the water by reducing the diameter of the pipe. Then after a far enough drop it will have the pressure to suck up the sand with a dredge setup.

Or you can make a water wheel powered drill device that scoops the gravel out by friction.and a cloth bag to strain out the water. This would be less effective than the first.

But the legal definition of a machine can be touchy for example in the boundary water area. a sail boat is illegal because of the pulley turning it into a machine.

I should add that both are not going to be efficiently portable.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread