ICE COLD GOLD Season 2

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A year to study topo maps, and they set out on foot to find a route? staged drama.

Not enough gas? staged.

Guys out in the middle of nowhere, trying hard to rub each other the wrong way. staged.

How much are these Rubies worth? I don't know much about gems, but those look awful small....what would one that size be worth?

Reminds me of the Hoffman's big diamond fiasco, high fivin' each other over over a few hundred dollars in diamonds.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes i believe Rubies, like Diamonds, that size are bought and sold for a few cents each in quantity.

the exception would be perhaps one of those blocks as a paperweight,
being there would be the unknown chance of a record breaker inside it
that will never be seen or disproven :tongue3:, or
a particularly large gem quality specimen that may or may not show up while they are there.

Prices
With the exception of imperial jadeite and certain rare colors of diamond, ruby is the world’s most expensive gem. But like all gem materials, low-quality (i.e., non-gem quality) pieces may be available for a few dollars per carat. Such stones are generally not clean enough to facet. The highest price per carat ever paid for a ruby was set on April 12, 2005 for an 8.01-ct. faceted stone that sold for $274,656 per carat ($2.2 million) at Christie’s New York. Previously the record for per-carat price was Alan Caplan’s Ruby (‘Mogok Ruby’), a 15.97-ct. faceted stone that sold at Sotheby’s New York, Oct., 1988 for $3,630,000 ($227,301/ct).

http://www.collectorfinejewelry.com/buyers_guide_ruby.htm

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, the only format TV producers are interested in these days is scripted drama between characters. I know this from speaking with many of them over the past year. They are unwilling to try anything different than that, period. And it shows in the lack of quality in the shows that follow that format. Its meant for the lowest denominator of the majority of viewers that are the most easily swayed by advertising. They have zero interest in shows about prospecting or treasure hunting, unless those serve merely as a back drop to the show. Until people stop watching that format, it will continue to be with us.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep sooner or later, some producer will get a new idea & it will be a hit.
then all the other channels will steal the idea & copy it quick.

Until then they think Fake reality is in so we're stuck

BIGJim223

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2014
Cooperstown, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote Reminds me of the Hoffman's big diamond fiasco, high fivin' each other over over a few hundred dollars in diamonds.

As I watched last Thursdays show, I kept thinking that it was a surprise that Todd Hoffman and entourage weren't there! I expect them to show up on an episode soon.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote Reminds me of the Hoffman's big diamond fiasco, high fivin' each other over over a few hundred dollars in diamonds.

As I watched last Thursdays show, I kept thinking that it was a surprise that Todd Hoffman and entourage weren't there! I expect them to show up on an episode soon.

Maybe Hoffman will show up to give his expert advice :laughing7:

"Heavy Equipment :laughing7: "

could you see Tod trying to get a ferry to haul his equipment in :hello2:

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I declare a crapudrama. sad indeed.

I'm just glad that my "Team Keene" made it to the cut.
The real question is whose wet suit "he" wears.
A glacial fed river, severe "ocean weenie" conditions indeed.
Regardless of the gas ration, this Chap actually got "into" the river.

"Can you hear me Major Tom"

The papers want to know who's "shirt you wear"

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMFAO! Thanks for the entertainment in this thread guys.

John brought chest waders but no waders when crossing the creek? Who doesn't pack in waders? I know I always had mine there.

"we're out of food", but there's groceries on the hoof 20 yards away. Why didn't they lock up their food? Lucky a Polar Bear didn't smell their unsecured food!

Would somebody please punch Josh in the mouth? PLEASE! As company manager he's to blame if ANYTHING goes wrong., yet he blames everyone else.

Anyone notice the clic forming with Josh, Gaytor, & Americo?

Everything Gaytor does on camera has to be staged & teleprompted to make him appear useful. After all, why did they keep an excavator operator when there is no excavator? Anyone notice he said he was wore out after only 15 minutes on the saw? LMAO at that one.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMFAO! Thanks for the entertainment in this thread guys.

John brought chest waders but no waders when crossing the creek? Who doesn't pack in waders? I know I always had mine there.

"we're out of food", but there's groceries on the hoof 20 yards away. Why didn't they lock up their food? Lucky a Polar Bear didn't smell their unsecured food!

Would somebody please punch Josh in the mouth? PLEASE! As company manager he's to blame if ANYTHING goes wrong., yet he blames everyone else.

Anyone notice the clic forming with Josh, Gaytor, & Americo?

Everything Gaytor does on camera has to be staged & teleprompted to make him appear useful. After all, why did they keep an excavator operator when there is no excavator? Anyone notice he said he was wore out after only 15 minutes on the saw? LMAO at that one.

LOL Jack !
on the Core Drill, I wonder if they called the manufacturer to trouble shoot the problem ?

it did look like they may be finding some nice size Rubies though.
now if they are gem quality.

by the way, I'd be eating that fox

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
and they wonder how/why they got followed. heck they probly wanted to be on the show also! or was it the cooking?? OR was it where the camra crew slept/ate??

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my complaining about the shows format aside, I have to give props to these guys for finding such an amazing deposit of rubies! WOW!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and they wonder how/why they got followed. heck they probly wanted to be on the show also! or was it the cooking?? OR was it where the camra crew slept/ate??

yea I think the boat is the crews quarters

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all-

Just curious as to whether they could search for rubies with a black light at night there. According to what I have read rubies glow under uv.
Anyone any idea?

rory

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they finally alluded to a value of the rubies. The one 3/4 " long, at 5 karats, could be $ 50,000. !!

We still don't know, "could be" and "is" are two different things.

The small brainer with the core drill couldn't understand how it got bent.:laughing7: "perhaps the helicopter bent it":laughing7: It was obviously the operator......core bore expert.:laughing7:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they finally alluded to a value of the rubies. The one 3/4 " long, at 5 karats, could be $ 50,000. !!

We still don't know, "could be" and "is" are two different things.

The small brainer with the core drill couldn't understand how it got bent.:laughing7: "perhaps the helicopter bent it":laughing7: It was obviously the operator......core bore expert.:laughing7:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

That was Todd out in the boat watching what and how they do what they do! this is where Todd will go next year to everyones suprise!BUT he will wait untill the snow starts dropping and everyone leaves!:)

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chisel they found, Plant for drama. They are using it everytime they chisel.
Can you really sluice for ruby's? Sounds fishy to me.
I thought the core drill burnt up then like magic it runs like new.

I like the show and I wish those guys the best but the DRAMA is way overkill, the producers must think our heads are full of mush.
The scenery of Greenland alone is worth watching this show. The shot of the ice sheet off in the distance as high as the mountains are tall, Breathtaking.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still liking the show. I just roll my eyes and shake my head at the lame drama.
Hard to believe they only brought 10 gallons of gasoline for the dredge. But with all the loose rubies in the dirt at the red zone who needs a dredge.

I would have all hands on deck in the red zone gathering up the rubies.
Dredging is for after all those visible rubies are recovered.

They should have spent the money on more rock saws instead of the dredge.
Oh well, it's easy to quarterback from the arm chair. :laughing7:

Still wondering how they are going to get all those hundreds of pounds of rock back to base camp :icon_scratch:
Perhaps the chopper pilot will take rubies in trade?

One thing for sure they better get all the rubies they can while they're there.
Appears to me that lots of folks have knowledge of their strike.

GG~

Last edited:

ray in ny

Jan 21, 2006
southern tier ny
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S CLASSIC III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chisel they found, Plant for drama. They are using it everytime they chisel.
Can you really sluice for ruby's? Sounds fishy to me.
I thought the core drill burnt up then like magic it runs like new.

I like the show and I wish those guys the best but the DRAMA is way overkill, the producers must think our heads are full of mush.
The scenery of Greenland alone is worth watching this show. The shot of the ice sheet off in the distance as high as the mountains are tall, Breathtaking.

I wondered about that sluicing for rubies deal too. I did some quick research--specific gravity of rubies and similar gems is in the neighborhood of 4--give or take .25. Since gold has specific gravity of 19, this would seem to make it less likely that you could reasonably sluice for gems--but I have no real idea--so how about it--anyone else know? How real is it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread