ICE COLD GOLD Season 2

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
they were useing a Keene Gem dredge that was modified longer.you can use a properly setup dredge to suckup anything you want. but youll probly need a tender to watch the sluice.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still liking the show. I just roll my eyes and shake my head at the lame drama.
Hard to believe they only brought 10 gallons of gasoline for the dredge. But with all the loose rubies in the dirt at the red zone who needs a dredge.

I would have all hands on deck in the red zone gathering up the rubies.
Dredging is for after all those visible rubies are recovered.

They should have spent the money on more rock saws instead of the dredge.
Oh well, it's easy to quarterback from the arm chair. :laughing7:

Still wondering how they they are going to get all those hundreds of pounds of rock back to base camp :icon_scratch:
Perhaps the chopper pilot will take rubies in trade?

One thing for sure they better get all the rubies they can while they're there.
Appears to me that lots of folks have knowledge of their strike.

GG~

lol I figure getting the Rock back will be the next bit of drama.

what would make it all worthwhile, Leave Americo & Josh behind to watch the claim
till next seasons shooting :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered about that sluicing for rubies deal too. I did some quick research--specific gravity of rubies and similar gems is in the neighborhood of 4--give or take .25. Since gold has specific gravity of 19, this would seem to make it less likely that you could reasonably sluice for gems--but I have no real idea--so how about it--anyone else know? How real is it?

although they did "claim" rubies are heavier then the soil,
I just took for granted they were finding by eyeballing the larger bits as they traveled down the sluice
and grabbing them quick.

also

on the fear of claim jumpers, one of the many things that confuses me.
are they on a short window due to weather ? or production costs ?

if it's weather , are they going by thinking claim jumpers are a hardier bunch,
who can stand weather conditions more then them ?

do claim jumpers Have all the money gas and choppers they need to keep them supplied
to be up there through out the off season. and haul out tons of rubies ?

if it's production costs. sell some of these supposed valuable gems for Gas,
food & chopper pilots time.

odds are IF anyone happens up there on the off season, my guess it will be for a quick look or grab. definitely not enough to put these guys in bankruptcy.
If these rubies are as valuable as they claim.

to me worrying about a person coming up there long enough to chisel out
a hunk & take off before freezing to death, is as lame as the NPS worrying
about a child picking up a piece of Quartz at the grand canyon for a souvenir.

:( Greed is a very Sad thing :(

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not so sure that the red zone is as hard to get to as they make it look.

There was a follow up show to "Ice Cold Gold", forget what they called it, but basically the same episode with extra footage. There was a local man and two others that walked into their camp. One was a boy. They had rifles, and were obviously caribou hunting. and gave the men some meat.

When asked about the hike in, the local smiled and said," I must have used a different trail than you".

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There was a follow up show to "Ice Cold Gold", forget what they called it, but basically the same episode with extra footage. There was a local man and two others that walked into their camp. One was a boy. They had rifles, and were obviously caribou hunting. and gave the men some meat.

When asked about the hike in, the local smiled and said," I must have used a different trail than you".

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the hunters probably Drove in & parked at the Gate, just off the set :tongue3:

images.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This just reinforces that the helicopter is mostly for dramatic effect ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it does appear there are only 2 ways onto Greenand.

Air & boat

my guess the hunters came by boat

Untitled.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it does appear there are only 2 ways onto Greenand.

Air & boat

my guess the hunters came by boat

View attachment 970579

I don't remember if they said by way of Iceland or Newfoundland or ?

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "hunters" live in Greenland, some within a reasonable boat ride. Of course I have no knowledge of anything first hand, only what Greenlandic friend tell via HAM radio.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way too much whining, not near enough mining. I quit watching Bering Sea Gold for the same reason, if all I want is drama I can always annoy my wife. :laughing7:

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ICE COLD GOLD JACK . . . Back by popular demand?

Could it be? Phone calls and emails from casting company and TV executives... "Mine Boss"...............................

APRIL FOOLS! You guys don't really think I'd go back with most of that crew...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing about it Jack, you did add some sanity to the escapades. :icon_thumleft:
From the looks of things they really needed you this season.

GG~

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UncleMatt is mostly right about what the production companies want. Finding whatever is in the title of the show usually comes third to:

1. Interaction of personalities (the prod. cos spend a lot of time putting together just the right cast members so as to get a lot of negative interaction)

2. When they don't get enough of what they are looking for, they edit the dailies to make things look like they want. TypeA personalities butting heads. Different ideas and pigheadedness to listen to others, etc.

I don't know how many of you know who some of the cast members really are:

Josh and Jesse Feldman: I don't know exactly how much "real" experience they have with Hard Rock Mining, but their dad Ron Feldman has the only pack outfitting business that is licensed to pack people in to the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. He is also one of the more knowledgeable people around with regards to the Lost Dutchman Mine. All good people from my interactions with them.

Gator Schoose is the son of Bob Schoose. Another old time Lost Dutchman Mine Hunter.

Feldman, Schoose, and their kids were also part of an expedition that believed they had found an old Spanish Mine in the Eastern Superstitions in about 2005. Here are bios of all of them from their old expedition website:

H.E.A.T. Members

Best - Mike

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how many of you know who some of the cast members really are:

Josh and Jesse Feldman: I don't know exactly how much "real" experience they have with Hard Rock Mining, but their dad Ron Feldman has the only pack outfitting business that is licensed to pack people in to the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. He is also one of the more knowledgeable people around with regards to the Lost Dutchman Mine. All good people from my interactions with them.

Gator Schoose is the son of Bob Schoose. Another old time Lost Dutchman Mine Hunter.

Feldman, Schoose, and their kids were also part of an expedition that believed they had found an old Spanish Mine in the Eastern Superstitions in about 2005. Here are bios of all of them from their old expedition website:

H.E.A.T. Members

Best - Mike

Well I can tell you this about some of them...
Jesse is about the most even keeled guy on the show! His brother Josh claims to be 12 years older than he actually is on his LinkedIn page (lier) and a professional office boy. From conversations I've had with them both, Josh appears to be more of a 'dude-ranch' manager.

Gator, being "completely wiped out" [as he said in the show] after only 15 minutes running a pipe-saw is a complete waste of resources. Anyone can demolish structures with an excavator but it takes an expert hand to mine with one! [like the Doris family does on the show Prospectors!]

Chad is Chad, what you see on the show is exactly how he is. A fine gentleman and very good friend, he is the only one who voted to keep me in Sixty Degree Resources when all the others threw me out and split my 12.5% of the company. Legal but highly unethical]

I feel bad for Americo, as I feel he has been coached into being someone he is not. Nobody on the show can outwork this guy and none came from a more humble background. Americo wants everyone to succeed... that's who he is.

Season II appears that most heads have swelled to the point I hardly recognize them! The AZ crew, from all my research, have had life handed to them by their parents or in-laws!

The true test of a man is his hand shake. Soft hands, soft man.
And what you see on TV is a presentation to sell advertizing time in 15 second increments!

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We had Jesse come to one of our Roadrunner meetings and give his take on the Lost Dutchman mine. He is not a great public speaker, but he seems to know the Superstitions well.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ICE COLD GOLD JACK . . . Back by popular demand?

Could it be? Phone calls and emails from casting company and TV executives... "Mine Boss"...............................

APRIL FOOLS! You guys don't really think I'd go back with most of that crew...

can't say since I don't know who you are. You were on last season? I need a rerun I guess

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't a bad show up till the whole john drama. If I want john drama, I just come here... :tongue3:

The early part of the show they were finding and pulling rock and I thought "see, a show can be interesting without drama" and no sooner than that, the drama started.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread