UTAH GOLD PROSPECTING SPOTS?

ProspectorBas

Mar 16, 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, My name is Bas. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm new to this site and relatively new to gold prospecting. I bought a sluice box a few weeks ago but have only got to try it out once. My brother and I have done a lot of panning around Salt Lake City but we have found minimal gold haha. I know of no places that are close to SLC with good gold. I know there is pretty good gold in Mary Ellen Gulch up American Fork Canyon, but the road leading up there does not open until late may and I want to go out on a prospecting trip no later than Spring Break, which, for me, is in the middle of April. I'm still in high school and my brother is busy with work but we're eager to get out and go on a few prospecting trips. I've got a much better knowledge about where to look in creeks and rivers for gold deposits, but the problem is finding a gold producing area. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks, guys.

Upvote 0

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, they say "There is no gold in Utah", however besides Mary Ellen Gulch, gold has been found in most streams along the Wasatch front. Not a great deal usually but I think that no one really looks very hard. I ran across an old newspaper clipping when I worked for the historical society that told of 3 men picking up 3 oz a day out of the Weber River here in Ogden. I have heard others claim they found gold in Big Cottonwood Canyon near you and there are a lot of mines up around Brighton. Don't know what kind but I heard at least one may have been a gold mine.

American Fork River and Spanish Fork River both have gold in them and one person I know finds a fair amount at the mouths of both.

Simpson springs in west desert has a fair amount of gold in the dry washes that have water only in the spring. I have 2 recirculating sluices that I set up in camp so I can work the dry wash material during the summer.

All around the Park City area is gold country. A lot of it was taken out back in the 30's to 50's. Lots of streams to check out around there. Getting hard to find land you can get on though.

The Bingham area used to be a real hot spot but the copper mine wiped all of that out for anyone but them. However they are finding some nice gold right now around the outer edges in the dry washes farther back in the mountains.

There is gold coming out of many of the small spring runoff canyons all along the wasatch front but most of the good ones are claimed by the sand and gravel companies. I usually like to hit those because they are close to home and you won't get rich, but you get a bit if you work at it. It's mostly sample and move up the stream. Every spring more material gets washed down so you get some new every year. Here again I pick up buckets when the stream dries up and bring home to work.

A friend I grew up with has been prospecting around here for the past 50 years and he has some nice gold he has found locally. Where? He's not saying yet. Just that it's here if you look for it.

If I were you I would just hit all the streams and creeks you can with a pan and see what you can find. If you find some color then set up your sluice. Spring is coming, get out and enjoy. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread