Looking for whitewater kayaker(s) in the Motherlode area.

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need a prospecting partner that also is comfortable on class III water in a kayak (preferably a hardshell kayak), and eager to SAFELY explore sections of the North, Middle, and South Forks of the American River by kayak.

I prospected several new spots on Saturday and did really well in a short period of time… These spots are only reachable by kayak… all bedrock outcrops, no signs of recent prospecting, gold in every pan, etc… I estimate I scored ½ gram in about 1 hour and running maybe 4-5 pans of weakly cemented sand/gravel from cracks.

I say “estimate” because in my excitement at the easiest gold found so far, I pulled a bonehead move at the Salmon Falls take-out while showing my gold off, with my pan in one wet hand and beer in the other wet hand, one slip and I dumped it all in the parking lot at Salmon Falls… only recovered the one picker and 4 larger flakes that were 2-3 mm in size… the rest is still there on the asphalt if you are inclined… easy come, easy go!

Anyway, none of my kayaking friends has the gold fever as bad as I do, and none of the prospectors I’ve yet met kayak, or are inclined to learn to kayak.

So, looking for a kayak buddy… in addition to my main line of work as a geologist I also teach kayaking and am accredited ACA level IV Whitewater instructor. So if you don’t already know how to kayak you need to be fit, not scared of the water, a good swimmer (you will do a bunch of swimming in rapids while learning), and eager to learn a new sport. If you are very athletic and coordinated you might be competent in class III water in a couple months… I can loan gear for instruction, but if you decide to get into the sport figure $1500 for kayak, paddle, drytop, helmet, PFD, etc…

Anyway, something to think about… my preference of course is to meet somebody that already knows how to boat well, solid combat roll, swiftwater rescue trained, etc… I’m comfortable on up to class IV water.

Check out this video a friend filmed recently of the North Fork American between Iowa Hill and Yankee Jims (this section is class IV, and it would take you at least 1-2 years to gain enough experience to not get yourself killed on this section)…

Cheers, L.G.

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do they make a floatation backpack/drybag? Curious as to how say a 30 lb. would effect the handling on the kayak. That's one sweet mode of transportation

OP
OP
Lotus Geologist

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
30 pounds will effect the trim and handling somewhat. When I am teaching or on an overnight I often have over 50 pounds of rescue and/or camping gear stowed in waterproof dry bags behind my seat. The boat rolls slower, turns slower, paddles slower, but punches holes better.

You DO NOT want a backpack on when kayaking. The weight is way too high, causing instability, and its also an entrapment hazard if you swim (and it would cause you to swim). When rolling you need all the weight as near to the long axis of the kayak as possible. Cantilever it out away from the boat (on your back) only if you have gills, because you will be counting fish.

I will try to take some photos and GoPro video next weekend of my setup.

Cheers, L.G.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a pretty sweet way if digging virgin ground. If I was in your neck if the woods,I would certainly take you up on your offer.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That makes good sense. Wow 50 lb is a nice payload. You should do quite nicely. Thanks.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No chance of me kayaking. I am going to tie my pack to inner tube and old school my way downstream....Nice video, thanks for sharing.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lotus Geologist,
Yes, Nice video. On the North Fork "some kayakers" start UP at the Cedars and come all the way down many many miles of that river. It is just splendid to watch them slide through easy water say like at the base of Sailor Flat Trail. I've rafted from Euchre Bar down to the second Colfax Bridge, that was back in the 70's and early 80's and then we just stopped doing it.

The kayak will let you play in many places that have not been seen by man in a long time, it just depends on the water flow. The kayak folks seem to run the river when it is higher, I suppose more of the rocks are submerged, I think I saw the number ~ 645 cfs on the video. To really get at the river bed the water needs to be at 90 cfs. I've rafted at from 250 to 90 cfs. Just up river from Euchre Bar and opposite the Dorer property is a very bad stretch of water as huge chunks of the mountain collapsed in there back before the early 70's, even the old trail fell off. I started playing in there, 1964, coming down the Green Valley trail which is just up river from the Giant Gap Gorge, going through there is fun.

Further up river and just down river from the Beacroft Trail is a 15' drop into a deep hole between solid rock walls. From Wabena Creek down to Beacroft is an easy run.

Have fun!....................63bkpkr

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How I wish I could take you up on that offer. Kayaking is awesome. I am still working on the eskimo roll. But I'll get it soon enough. We only have one hard shell and 2 inflatable. and one wetsuit So kinda gotta take turns practicing. Anyway sounds like a blast... Hope you find someone up to the challenge. And get some good gold..

OP
OP
Lotus Geologist

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63bkpkr, I have watched dozens of videos of world class kayakers running the Royal Gorge of the North Fork... 30, 40, and 50 foot waterfalls, all terminal if you make one mistake... I know a couple guys that have left the Royal Gorge in a helicopter via cable... For me, at my age and risk tolerance, Giant Gap is my limit. Generation Gap above that is just too high consequence.

On the North Fork, more water is better for kayaking to a certain point, as if you do swim you are above the deadly sieves. On the flip side, with higher water the hydraulics are much stronger, and the conveyor belt of the river is much faster, and less forgiving... In that instance, if you swim, you run the risk of flush drowning. Suffice it to say, it's critical to know what one is getting into and not take this sport lightly.

I'm not interested in kayaking at 90 cfs... I hiked some of the NF early this winter at 60cfs and the bedrock sniping is great... At higher water, the kayak however really lets you move downstream quickly, with very little energy (discounting emotional energy from the adrenaline rush), and spot cracks and such that for the most part are only approachable from the water. There are hundreds of cracks and crevices along sheer walls that a hiker will never be able to get to.

I enjoy your stories of exploring the North Fork... Not many folks were running the river from Eucher bar in the 70's (nor are many doing it now).

L.G.

OP
OP
Lotus Geologist

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Marshall, before you go to Alaska let me tune up your roll. I'm certain I can have you rolling like a champ in about an our in the pool.

L.G.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah, thats where the gold is, right there........

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LG, I've been on top of the Royal Gorge falls, it is just up river from Wabena Creek, though I've not been any further up into the head waters of the NFAR. I've seen one other group of rafters Starting the run down the NFAR from Eucher bar, a four man raft and a two man raft. They were starting out when the water was too high for me, I mentioned this to them and the man and woman in the two man raft, it was already leaking air, decided to opt out of the trip. Two weeks later when my friends and I went through we found the four man raft warped around a rock somewhere above Pickering Bar, spooky thing to see!! At high water levels, 650 cfs or more, that water is ripping down river allowing very little recovery time before the next, umm, exciting section!

60 to 90 cfs requires a lot of portaging but one can so easily make the trip at those levels, that is knowing water skills is much less of a requirement though even those water levels can kill a person if they get caught underwater for too long or break a leg on a rock.................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I fit the basic criteria for someone very trainable and not scared.. with the exception being my lame work schedule and If I tell my wife I want to get into kayaking she will think its awesome until I tell her I want to buy a Kayak....at that point is gonna kick me in the knee cap..... If only all the ones Lining the road on my way to work didn't have holes drilled in them I would be set. ( why do they do that Jon).....are river hippies kind but, not kind enough to hand down kayaks. We won't be hitting the claim as much in the summer I'm gonna be on the river sniping in our area anyway.... Wish I was geared up I could make the southfork run with you. I could make that happen at least once a week through the summer......again my work schedule is LAME.....good luck finding someone.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I turned my fishing kayak into a mining kayak as the hold area is waterproof and my detector fits quite well. Rear deck holds the rest and good to go. Only lakes and slow rivers though as you have found out NOT many kayakers will mine. Great cool tool.Quiet,no gas fumes and don't disturb wildlife, other folks and the fishermen are faked out as they don't know your a miner :laughing7: Lotza luck-John

OP
OP
Lotus Geologist

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldwasher, you have been to my house and seen that I too have a kayak marking the front of my driveway, albeit on a private road. The reason a lot of folks drill big holes in them before they are put on "display" is so theye won't get pilfered. NO ONE puts a usable kayak out by the road as decoration... kayaks are very durable, but they do break, and once the hull is cracked or worn through it is not salvageable or repairable... most folks don't know this, so to avoid trouble people drill BIG holes before using as art.

L.G.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much figured that was the case.....I've still put thought into fixing those big holes...can't help it:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, LG, have you any experience "Trail Kayaking" ? :icon_scratch:

Went to Euchre Bar yesterday, man that is one steep hike ! I was just going for an Hr or 2 on my way up to Reno to visit my son for the day. Aparrently, I choose the wrong trail for a "quick" little hike to the river. Oh well, I have really been wanting to go explore that area. Planning on going back when I have a little more time....

Anyways, the "Dry" Kayakin....

On my way back up I came across the darndest thing, or more like the craziest guy I've run into in a while....I heard him coming first, then around the corner comes a guy, early 20's?, sittin on his Kayak, FLYING down the trail !

CAM00221.jpg

I wish I could have gotten my camera in time ! I cannot do justice to how fast he was movin ! It actually looked like fun, but there is a cliff ! There was a second kayaker sliddin down, but he was moving Much slower, looked a little safer. The rest of the hike back up I was seeing little plastic red & blue plastic shavings...So Crazy...

CAM00225.jpg

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome...wish you got a pic.

OP
OP
Lotus Geologist

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha! I bet I would recognize those guys... As you saw, that is a hell of a steep trail... Why walk when you can slide? Once they hit the river they will probably paddle a couple hours then spend the night out under the stars. The NFA is at a great level right now for the upper class V sections.

L.G.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wish my hull had 1" plate mini-IMG_1120.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread