Need some help. Sc area.

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 streams that run through my property and have found lots and lots of quartz. I'm new to prospecting. I bought a couple of pans but not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be glad to help. How far down is bedrock and what elevation are you at?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not quite sure. How would I go about finding out without actually digging. Thanks

OP
OP
G

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also found a nice size smokey quartz crystal. Can add pictures if needed.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the second pic down on the left, i see those rocks that are exposed look to extend for twelve ft or so,take a digging bar or shovel ,remove those rocks out of your way and then shovel up the gravel,pan and see if there is color,dont be discouraged at the first couple pans if there isnt any,you will probably need some practice panning. but large cobbles and rocks are where to start,the gold will get trapped in the cobbles,and where the flow is depositing the larger stuff ,the gold will likely be with it,as narrow as that run is, picture a straight line going down the run,where it contacts the bends is also good spots to see if it gold bearing.and generaly where you see gravels collecting,to look for color,sand bars will have small gold and if you are just begining panning ,might be tricky getting the small stuff.

OP
OP
G

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I panned a couple pans and only found a couple really small flakes. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or didn't go down deep enough?

Goldslagger

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not quite sure. How would I go about finding out without actually digging. Thanks
The area of the country has a lot to do with how you start out prospecting as well. Is sc southern cali or South Carolina ?

OP
OP
G

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I was down there walking around I noticed huge quarts rocks in the stream. A good 3 feet across or more. Does this mean the quartz vein is near? I don't thing this small stream could move it. I couldn't budge it. Lol

Goldslagger

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I was down there walking around I noticed huge quarts rocks in the stream. A good 3 feet across or more. Does this mean the quartz vein is near? I don't thing this small stream could move it. I couldn't budge it. Lol

It probably wasn't always a small stream. Thousands of years ago more than likely a river. I'm in Greenville and the creeks I go to look about like what you're talking about seeing too

Goldslagger

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It probably wasn't always a small stream. Thousands of years ago more than likely a river. I'm in Greenville and the creeks I go to look about like what you're talking about seeing too

That quartz in the pics looks familiar. Saw some like it the other day from the Saluda area. If you've found some small pieces of color keep looking and keep digging. Practice your skills panning and prospecting. It won't take you long to develop a method that's good for you.

OP
OP
G

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I appreciate the input. In the area. What's the best depth to take samples?

Goldslagger

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I appreciate the input. In the area. What's the best depth to take samples?

You can find gold from the top all the way down to bedrock. From my experience in local creeks there's no sure place to look.its in the middle, outside and inside bends. Goes against most ideas of where the gold should be. Get your shovel and start digging holes !

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have found a couple flakes for a couple pans,then you now know that it is a gold bearing run.on the question of bedrock with digging to find it,as slow as that water looks it is likely going to be covered in dry times,look for the bedrock in the banks,then turn and look to the opposing bank,see then the otherside and extend your arms with one arm pointing to one side,the other arm pointing to the opposite side,the straight line you create with your arms will give the location of the sill in the streambed,be sure to take note that the rock you are pointing to are the same compisition and color. then it wont be very deep,on that line of where you think the sill may be,go out with dig bar and drive it down and rotate it till it begins to (screw) down through the gravels,keep doing this until you are stopped by rock,drive the bar on the rock a few times to be sure it doesnt budge,if throw it pretty hard you may even feel a very slight vibration,you will then know that it is bedrock,and aprox how deep,gravels and cobbles will not carry a vibration.and that quartz is a very good sign,now what i would do ,since you have found flakes and you know that the run is gold bearing,i would go down stream of the quartz, if it possible to discern where the majority of large quartz is, and test the gravels ,not just a pan or two,but some extensive testing several locations imediately down stream of the very quartz,i am talking take a five gallon bucket of gravels from each spot you chose ,take note to each sample buckets location,label 1,2,3, so on,and what was in each sample, just be sure to keep your samples from each spot the same amount ,so half a bucket for the first one, half a bucket for the rest. after you done this downstream of the large quartz. then go upstream of the quartz if possible to discern,and do the same, but then label them differntly a,b,c, and keep exact amount agian in each sample,i.e half bucket, then when you look at your findings you should see a pattern begining ,more gold downstream of quartz,then i would search for the source of quartz, if the gold stays the same up and down stream, then just be happy that you have access to a gold bearing stream, and move as much mateirial as possible!wow my spelling is bad today, coffee not working yet i guess. happy hunting!

Goldslagger

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have found a couple flakes for a couple pans,then you now know that it is a gold bearing run.on the question of bedrock with digging to find it,as slow as that water looks it is likely going to be covered in dry times,look for the bedrock in the banks,then turn and look to the opposing bank,see then the otherside and extend your arms with one arm pointing to one side,the other arm pointing to the opposite side,the straight line you create with your arms will give the location of the sill in the streambed,be sure to take note that the rock you are pointing to are the same compisition and color. then it wont be very deep,on that line of where you think the sill may be,go out with dig bar and drive it down and rotate it till it begins to (screw) down through the gravels,keep doing this until you are stopped by rock,drive the bar on the rock a few times to be sure it doesnt budge,if throw it pretty hard you may even feel a very slight vibration,you will then know that it is bedrock,and aprox how deep,gravels and cobbles will not carry a vibration.and that quartz is a very good sign,now what i would do ,since you have found flakes and you know that the run is gold bearing,i would go down stream of the quartz, if it possible to discern where the majority of large quartz is, and test the gravels ,not just a pan or two,but some extensive testing several locations imediately down stream of the very quartz,i am talking take a five gallon bucket of gravels from each spot you chose ,take note to each sample buckets location,label 1,2,3, so on,and what was in each sample, just be sure to keep your samples from each spot the same amount ,so half a bucket for the first one, half a bucket for the rest. after you done this downstream of the large quartz. then go upstream of the quartz if possible to discern,and do the same, but then label them differntly a,b,c, and keep exact amount agian in each sample,i.e half bucket, then when you look at your findings you should see a pattern begining ,more gold downstream of quartz,then i would search for the source of quartz, if the gold stays the same up and down stream, then just be happy that you have access to a gold bearing stream, and move as much mateirial as possible!wow my spelling is bad today, coffee not working yet i guess. happy hunting!

Man I went dizzy reading that loco ;-) too much coffe for me !!!!

OP
OP
G

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the input. The flakes I found was very small but I only panned a few pans maybe 5 pans and found 8 or 9 flakes. I'll try that out and let you know. Thanks

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Small gold on the surface can be a good indicator for larger gold deeper. Look for bedrock or clay to trap the gold

OP
OP
G

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that mean that gold is found in clay? Sorry I'm new to all of this. I have been looking where I found quartz and other small rocks.

Goldslagger

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that mean that gold is found in clay? Sorry I'm new to all of this. I have been looking where I found quartz and other small rocks.

Around here, gold will sit on the top inch or so of clay. If the clay layer isn't too thick, maybe 8-10 inches I've found good gold below clay layers too. Just makes sure you disolve the clay really good or you could wash out some good gold and never see it. Some of the old mines north of me have clay pits and old river gravel mixed that they mine. If you're closer to the slate belt you're not going to run into that much clay. Just a lot of hardpack.

OP
OP
G

Greygc11

Mar 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the slate belt very close to a couple of mines. With all the quartz on my property there has to be a source. Really wish I was more familiar with these kinda things lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions