2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Laws should be based on facts not on opinion and conjecture.Here is a list of studies and reports that have been compiled over years of research that can be referenced available to all:
CDFG, 1997. draft Environmental Impact Report: Adoption of Amended Regulations for Suction Dredge Mining. State of California, The Resource Agency, Department of Fish and Game
Cooley, M.F. 1995. Forest Service yardage Estimate. U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Forest Service, Siskiyou National Forest, Grants Pass, Oregon.​
Griffith, J.S. and D.A. Andrews. 1981. Effects of a small suction dredge on fishes and aquatic invertebrates in Idaho streams. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 1:21- 28.
Harvey, B.C., K. McCleneghan, J.D. Linn, and C.L. Langley, 1982. Some physical and biological effects of suction dredge mining. Lab Report No. 82-3. California Department of Fish and Game. Sacramento, CA.
Harvey, B.C. 1986. Effects of suction gold dredging on fish and invertebrates in two California streams. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 6:401-409.
Hassler, T.J., W.L. Somer and G.R. Stern. 1986. Impacts of suction dredge mining on anadromous fish, invertebrates and habitat in Canyon Creek, California. California Cooperative Research Unit, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Humbolt State University. Cooperative Agreement No 14-16-0009-1547.
Huber and Blanchet, 1992. Water quality cumulative effects of placer mining on the Chugach National Forest, Kenai Peninsula, 1988-1990. Chugach National Forest, U.S. Forest Service, Alaska Region, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Lewis, 1962. Results of Gold Suction Dredge Investigation. Memorandum of September 17, 1962. California Department of Fish and Game, Sacramento, CA.
North, P.A., 1993. A review of the regulations and literature regarding the environmental impacts of suction gold dredging. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 10, Alaska Operations Office. EP 1.2: G 55/993.
Prussian, A.M., T.V. Royer and G.W. Minshall, 1999. Impact of suction dredging on water quality, benthic habitat, and biota in the Fortymile River, Resurrection Creek, and Chatanika River, Alaska, FINAL REPORT. US Environmental Protection Agency, Region 10, Seattle, Washington.
SNF, 2001. Siskiyou National Forest, Draft Environmental Impact Statement: Suction Dredging Activities. U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Forest Service, Siskiyou National Forest, Medford, OR.​
Somer, W.L. and T.J. Hassler. 1992. Effects of suction-dredge gold mining on benthic invertebrates in a northern California stream. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 12:244-252
Stern, 1988. Effects of suction dredge mining on anadromous salmonid habitat in Canyon Creek, Trinity County, California. M.S. Thesis, Humbolt State University, Arcata, CA.
Thomas, V.G. 1985. Experimentally determined impacts of a small, suction gold dredge on a Montana stream. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 5:480-488.
US EPA, 2001. Mercury Recovery from Recreational Gold Miners.
Wanty, R.B., B. Wang, and J. Vohden. 1997. Studies of suction dredge gold-placer mining operations along the Fortymile River, eastern Alaska. U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet FS-154-97

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trout unlimited has been planning this for a while. I got wind of it 3 days befor the public comment session and went. Befor the session i was lucky enough to talk and email with many experts like joe green, claudia wise and jery hobbs. Everyone i communicated with was more than happy to help. I made what i thought was a pretty decent argument and submitted sevral papers to the commitee..i emailed all the memders of the commitee and engaged sevral in discussion,,but in the end most are just staunch greenies blindly following the "lets save the fish and feel good adout ourselves" drumbeat...now, i am a logger and sugarmaker by trade,,not a lawyer or public speaker.trout unlimited has a lead man in the state who is very good at his job..everyone knows and likes him he has been schmozzing with the very members of the enviromental commitee for a while,,imagine that!.the gpaa club in maine chose to try to agree to a comprimise..all very well intentioned but i believe an admission of guilt where non exists..what would have helped alot is to have a national organization wirh some experiance with these matters get involved..we hear it all the time "get involved or loose your rights" well i think that goes for national organizations as well...i saw the viedo of the idaho meeting and i cant help but think that a list of speakers like that with a lawyer thrown in would have made a heck of a diffrance in the outcome...i wrote to the gpaa and told them my thoughts but they said its up to use to fight,,,,i cant help but think that i am not the best choice to argue our side,,,,,,,even with science backing us up the members choose to limit our freedoms. We need to be better organized

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is just another reason to rebuild the image of surface suction mining by making it clear that no dredging will take place during spawning seasons, and that no significant damage will be done to structures, especially artificial structures put in place by fishing groups.

The streams can be shared (with surface suction gold gathering that also removes toxic materials) if the dialogue is focused on sharing the resources and not on various groups locked in fighting with each other because they feel threatened each by the other.

Let the science work for you as you work with the other interest groups to protect the fisheries. I believe there has to be some coordinated cooperation to find a common ground, or each side will likely be more convinced than ever that the other side is wrong.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Work together with trout unlimited? Hmmm. Have you ever been to their website? They are not a group of fishermen that is concerned about the enviroment,,they are a group of sue happy lobbiest and lawyers that are looking to inflict their narrow vision on the population through lawsuits, litigation and lies. They were able to convince the maine lawmker who brought the bill forward to introduce it with emergency status meaning they bypassed all the normal public debate and the normal study period. From what i understand in most cases like this when a bill is introduced that has 2 polerized sides and there is evidance that both sides could have merit to their argument than a study is required by the state and there are sevral publuc hearings.. not the case when the bill has emergency status,,,,t.u. knows that...smart,,,during the pudlic meeting one of the memders of the enviro. Committe looked at ,jeff reardon the t.u. lobbiest and said " we missed you at dinner at the club the other night" no lie!!! T.u. has a large network of followers that believe they are protecting the trout from evil dredgers,,,,they give money to a national, well funded organization that DOES SOMETHING OTHER THAN RUN THEIR MOUTH. I have to take my hat off to them, they did a very good job making us look like fools. You can rename a dredge but thats putting lipstick on a pig...we have to get organized and get to work,,,an organization like the gpaa would be a great place to start i think,,

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there has been seasonal dredging in California, 94 rules and regs ( for some reason unable to open PDF files on dfg site) North fork Yuba dereding season was from the 4th Saturday in May to Oct 15th.

diplomacy with the crazy types of the far left who put lives in danger ( Elizabeth Martin, Carrie Monohan, Paul Watson ) just don't work, can you reason with these people?, NOPE <---- how do these people earn a living, lawsuits, Tax payer grant monies, and Begging the other enviro Foundations, these peopole do not create jobs, do not produce a revenue

Put forth the science, Christ, how many times have we done just that, only to fall on deaf ears, SWRCB study 4 inch dredge 98% efficincy colleting merc, the left trash complain of the 2% loss and claim merc folats down the river, heck what has mother nature done for milliunm
, why is there not an epidimic in san francisco, h'll asain's fish that bay everyday, since all the fish have merc and people eat this fish daily

for the most part Government (is run by the libs and Dem control State,) don't listen to the science, why do you think the enviro's lobby Dems
Our Forest are dying cuz of crital habitat statis, EPA, SWRCB, CARB the list is huge, resulting in density and disease, now the left want to control our waterways.

California spends more then it takes in, what do you think will happen, more taxes, State defult, why is the local media not reporting the exodus of company's from California, not a very friendly business state, so now the working people( private sector growing smaller) will pay more, but again, How? when you have the left shut down industry after industry, history is great, Northern California Logging industry what happen? need i mention more

we all know the Iron Lady quote, and you would best know why Canada open up it's lands to it's resource.
When Common Sense has access to the media to put forth the science so as to inform the public it will vote accordinly ( that scrubbers are good for our rivers) that logging is healthy for our forest, and the spanking required to pc policies so as to shut up the dizzy izzy and crazy Monohan

Lanny, since you articulate and write so well, and so it seems a large following, what say? dredging remove merc, lead etc anything about that on your website/blog aplogy up front if ya have poisted such, cuz have not red your blog

anybody, what part of your daily life, from the moment the alarm clock goes off, to that momet you rest your head back on the pillow at the end of the day, ( provided you don't have young ones) does not involve mining?directly or indirectly Like the qoute "if it's not farmed it has to mined" but even farming depends on mining, Pipes, hose's, disking, wire, milk jugs, etc TWO of the most important industry's period and the truckers that get it to market.

if anybody knows anything about Oysters, they are water filters, so are vrey benifical tot he environment, the link below shows that dems are eaating there own, i think Funnystien has her own agenda but this is what the left do, take away revenue, mans dignty, self respect so screw all this tap danicning around the issue hold up the mirrior to these nuts, Dredging saves the enviornemnt
Feinstein Slams Salazar for Using ?False Science? to Kill Historic Oyster Farm
may it shine fer ya all
it's election time folks show the State Of California your paying attention
Dredging does not kill fish
dredging does not pollute
dredging is 98% good for the environment and the Sierra Fund can only dream of that effecincy with there suction dredge

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maines GPAA State Director-Mad Jack(Ice Cold Gold infamy) has been trying to bring attention to this for months. I've contributed and bought some cool Mad Jack ts to assist in the effort. I'll see if I can post info by copy/paste-John

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Works just fine John. Thanks for sharing the info. For most of us,
the best thing we can do is write letters/emails to those who actually
make the decisions in these matters.

It seems we need to pretty much shove the science of this all
down the throats of the greenies. I know a few, and trying to
discuss actual facts with them is like trying to teach a pig to sing...
..it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread