Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
cheap harbor freight detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone on here is willing to share there locations in this area for me and a few friends to come to and prospect. whether you know of a small open creek or have a claim and willing to share a small area for us to sluice. i appreciate any info in advanced.
I have tried many times to use blm's website using the lr2000 but have found to be confusing and i dont want to intrude on someones claim without permission.
Im even willing to meet up with someone and work with them.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I found that claim. 3N16E Sec 26 SW & 27 SE. That's a long way from the LDMA camp I am talking about. That claim you gave is the area where Santafe is looking at. It appears there are no claims upstream from there.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
It might be worth taking a look upstream from the bridge. It's pretty rough terrain through there if I remember correctly.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found that claim. 3N16E Sec 26 SW & 27 SE. That's a long way from the LDMA camp I am talking about. That claim you gave is the area where Santafe is looking at.

Yeah that was the claim status on Santafe308's site. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have been clearer about which location it was. :sad10:

For your Mer 21 T3N R15E Section 33 spot I found these:

________________________LODE

Challanger #1 Lode Claim No sub Section 33 600 x 1500

Challanger #2 Lode Claim No sub Section 33 600 x 1500

Challanger #3 Lode Claim No sub Section 33 600 x 1500

Challanger #4 Lode Claim No sub Section 33 600 x 1500

Challanger #4 Lode Claim No sub Section 33 600 x 1500

Challanger #9 Lode Claim in the NE and SE of Section 33 600x1500

Challenger NO 17 Lode Claim in the SW 600 x 1500

Five Mile #4 Extension Lode Claim SW and SE of Section 33 600 x 1500

Five Mile #6 Lode Claim on the corner of Sections 4, 5, 32. 33 (SW Corner of 33) 600 x 1500

Five Mile #7 Lode Claim on the corner of Sections 4, 5, 32. 33 (SW Corner of 33) 600 x 1500

________________________PLACER

Lucky Two Placer Claim in the NE of Section 33 20 acres

Lucky Three Placer Claim in the NE of Section 33 20 acres

________________________TOTALS

Total of all Active claims 246 acres. Claims were made between 1927 and 1985

Total of Private land 160 acres.

The entire NW quarter section is private patented land meaning it's not prospectable. That pretty much covers the river in section 33. I guess the guy at the hardware store was right - the river is not claimed - but it is privately owned.

Without going to the trouble to map the claims I can tell you that there probably is no land open to claim in Section 33. You could get the claim locations from the county and check to see if there might be a sliver missed.

Keep looking, there is open unclaimed land out there. It's just not usually found next to a major road or known about by the guy at the hardware store. You can find those sweet spots that are open with enough research. :thumbsup:

If you need help with the LR2000 check out our three part tutorial Demystifying the LR2000.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so basically im back to square one having to find a location within reasonable distance to do some sluicing

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
so basically im back to square one having to find a location within reasonable distance to do some sluicing

??

Your original location was claimed downstream from the bridge. There are no claims just upstream of the bridge, with a little research you might find that area is open to prospecting. There are possibilities there, that's a good thing.

Finding areas open to prospecting is almost as rare as finding good gold deposits. If you don't have the interest to pursue finding an open spot to prospect you might consider joining a club, the work of getting prospecting locations has already been done for you.

There is obviously more to the skill of prospecting than learning to keep your sluice from floating downstream. :laughing7: It's a challenging profession with a big learning curve. That's just part of the reason I love it. I've been prospecting since 1972 (I was very near to where you are today back then). I often got discouraged when I was just starting out. I stuck to it and I'm glad I did.

Why not take an hour or so and see if you can prospect above that bridge. Maybe I left some gold there back in the 1970's that you will be the first to find. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what i see upstream is something probably private property. on street view of google maps you can see signs posted on multiple trees upstream and there is a locked gate at the beginning of that property

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best to check the Master Title Plat Santafe308. I would have done that yesterday for you but the Government Land Office was down. The State ownership records don't show that as private property but the State has been wrong before. :laughing7:

Better to know for sure than to rely on google. It might just be a grazing allotment with a gate.

OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was a metal 2 bar swing gate side ways triangle. so its meant to keep car traffic out at least.

OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopefully i can find a location i can go to by Thursday or Friday

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter "the Outback"
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey SantaFe, I'm sorry for any mistake on my part. The claims guide says that the area from the bridge down river is open to the public. I'll check the coordinates butas I found today...the areas I like in Coulterville are claimed. Sucky beans!!! On to another area. I was able to get one little piece of gold today. At least I twerent skunked. May your pans be yellow!!! Mark

OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
were is the Sullivan river open at?

OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well coulterville is a next thought any locations open here?

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well coulterville is a next thought any locations open here?

There look to be a bunch. However, I just have to be able to convert lr2000 info to Google earth info to be able to see the area. I am now proficient enough with the lr system to check on closed mines. Does anyone know what "void" means?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you fail to file the location notice/certificate within the 90-day filing period, the location will be declared forfeit and VOID by operation of law. (From the BLM)

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Santa, I have done some spring cleaning. I have found quite a few pick and shovel gazettes from the gpaa. There is one claim in mariposa and a couple in tuolumne counties. The couple in tuolumne may not be claimed anymore. Let me know if interested in going. May your pan be yellow! Mark

OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mark are you still a gpaa member? and i would like to try to get to any of these spots once i have a way to get to them when my buddy can drive me up there.

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I have a lifetime membership. Have been wanting to upgrade to LDMA. I can only take one person with me on any of the claims. I have trying to locate a claim(s) to purchase.

OP
OP
S

Santafe308

Jan 11, 2014
modesto,ca
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster IV
Fisher M-97
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its getting close to trying to get back out on the hunt for gold. i still am in search of a location to use my sluice. Anyone like to share a location with me? preferably in the Sonora area. any help would be gratefully appreciated.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Get your things together and come on out. The conditions will be ideal for a sluice box or recirculating system. I forgot to ask you, what type of sluice box do you have. Post a pic if you're not sure, and we'll try to identify it for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread