Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I did my Bazooka Gold Trap post I noticed that some people were unfamiliar with the concept of a fluid bed. Well a fluid bed is very useful to anyone with a large amount of concentrates. It will quickly turn your buckets of concentrates into a cup of super concentrates. How a fluid bed works put simply is that, material is slowly poured into a container that uses a jet or jets of water to aerate the material that is placed into it. This causes the heaviest materials to easily and quickly sink to the bottom forcing the lighter materials to flow out the top of the container. This system of separation works on the physical aspect of matter known as Specific Gravity.

So that is how a fluid bed works. A good example of this kind of process in nature would be what geologists refer to as liquifaction. Liquifaction is a phenomena that sometimes occurs when there is a severe Earth Quake. The ground shakes violently, the water table temporarily rises and the combination of the two causes the ground to turn into a quick sand like substance that has been known to swallow entire houses so quickly in fact that the occupants in some cases never made it out of their home.

Well I saw a video on Youtube by the Gold Hog on how to gold pan. He really does give great step by step instructions as well as good explanations of how and why certain principles (of gold recovery) work and don't work. So I thought I would share one of Gold Hogs DIY videos that I watched last year with you, how to build your own Fluid Bed. This can easily be done by anyone with access to a home depot and 10-15 dollars to spend. So here it is, hope you find it useful and informative.

[video]http://www.goldhog.com/gold_fluid_bed.htm[/video]

I should also mention that if you plan to build one of these, or any other concentrator for that matter. Black sand often has micron gold encapsulated within it. Working your black sand in a pestle will help free up some of the gold trapped inside. For large amounts of material there are mechanical and/or less time consuming ways to do this, since this post is about fluid beds I will leave that topic for another day.

Enjoy and Keep it Wild!​

Upvote 0

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks... that's an oldie........ lol
It's a fun one to build and have had many build larger ones based on that design.

You can also watch the Gold Cyclone videos as the unit starts in a fluid stage first, then goes cyclonic for final cleaning.
The past year has been spend studying fluid beds, vortexes, and hydraulic equivalence.
Now my brain can rest.
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread