Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!
Due to several clubs east of the Mississippi having some issues with the way things have been going with the GPAA lately, some discussions have been going on about forming a new organization. There will be a group summit at the end of May among chapters and others interested in joining such a group. Not trying to down GPAA, but they really don't have a lot to offer for our side of the country. You may drop me a PM if interested or want more info.

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question here. Since east of the Mississippi the are no lands available for claiming as we have in the west, what do you think a new organization will be able to offer different than the GPAA offers? The GPAA offers leasted land to prospect on and maybe even land they or the LDMA owns. Just curious as to what you could offer that is different or better.

OP
OP
enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For one thing a voice nearby, not across country. The organization would be set up with bylaws and rules pertaining to the eastern US. Out west Gpaa can set up outings ON LDMA property with no problems. Here everything has to be cleared with national with a lot of hoops to jump through, then they tell you to dig your own material, etc. They treat you like you're a red headed stepchild.
No one group is setting this up. There will be a summit in late may to get input on what it will be able to do. There are several chapters that have been questioning the lack of support national gives us and that's what got this started.
The leased land topic goes like this. If the GPAA can do it why can't we? A club existing in the east with lower membership costs AND able to lease land for all the chapters. Able to set up shows when and where you want.
Our chapter was the host for one of the shows last year. Lots of volunteers loading and unloading working the exhibits and working with vendors for 2 1/2 days. We earned 60000 points. You can't order 2 pans for that many points! This year they asked us how many volunteers we would have for a show. We ask when is the show. They don't know but want to know how many volunteers will we have. You see what I'm getting at.
Last year WV spent money getting ready for the expo, making plans and getting vendors. National pulled the show at the last minute. With support like that it's best to rethink the situation.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you well. I see nothing new in your plans other than a little cheaper maybe and closer as you said. If you learn from your complaints about the GPAA then great. I believe though that you are going to find out it will not be that easy to form such an organization without repeating some of the very things you are complaining about now. I am the president of a GPAA chapter and vowed I would not do some of the things I didn't care for in the GPAA. Guess what? It's not that easy. You soon figure out that there are usually reasons for certain rules or actions. It is too bad they pulled out of a show and I won't even venture a guess as to the reason. I will venture a guess that the reason for clearing certain things through national has to do with their lease terms. The rules out west are the same as east as far as outing on LDMA. As far as digging your own material goes, are you miners or what? Sorry I can't fell sorry for you on that one. Maybe what you need to do is send a contingent to national headquarters and sit down face to face and discuss your complaints. To me it sounds more like " I don't like your rules so I'm taking my ball and going home!" Maybe your complaints are legit maybe not, I just don't see your summit changing anything as a new organization. You will be repeating thier mistakes and bi-laws, but I do wish you luck and maybe I will be proven wrong, I hope so.

OP
OP
enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously you aren't getting what I'm trying to get across. This isn't sour grapes. It also isn't a case of telling people to leave the GPAA. It's a point of why can't there be more than one organization. Why rely on just the GPAA to protect mining rights when you can have a 2 front approach. There isn't a rule that says you can only belong to one club. We know they are busy with the goings on out west. We have some of the same problems going on here. I figure the more hands in the fight the better.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Obviously you aren't getting what I'm trying to get across. This isn't sour grapes. It also isn't a case of telling people to leave the GPAA. It's a point of why can't there be more than one organization. Why rely on just the GPAA to protect mining rights when you can have a 2 front approach. There isn't a rule that says you can only belong to one club. We know they are busy with the goings on out west. We have some of the same problems going on here. I figure the more hands in the fight the better.

Um, what about PLP? they are working to protect your rights as well as the GPAA. In fact most of my eBay auctions donate some proceeds to them...

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a member of PLP. They have their hands full out west also. I would suggest everyone join if you can. I worked their booth last year at the Expo in Charlotte. I signed up a lot of new members. They do a lot more for the cause that the GPAA in my opinion.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is an interesting discussion, kind of like a reverse-world scenario.

Traditionally, one of the problems with living in the west was getting the east to even acknowledge that there was a west.

So, to have concern from the east that you're underrepresented as a group is an interesting turn.

I'm sure that if you get a strong core that's willing to work, that's willing to stick with it until you iron out the wrinkles, that can address your unique concerns as you're intimately familiar with your eastern land-use issues and mineral access obstacles, you can get just what you need and want. Almost anything is possible with enough elbow grease and determination.

All the best as you organize your new group and embark on a new adventure,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLP = Public Lands for the People, very little "public lands" east of the Mississippi, as you have out west!

GPAA is dieing, probably due to political correctness, Lack of supporting those who made them what they were, and a single owner who has lost interest.
GPAA has ostracized a large number of free thinking, constitution-supporting members as well as others who have freely given quality information and advice on their forums for many, many years simply because they speak their minds. Tom Massie has asked GPAA members to submit gold bearing properties for sale or lease in the northeast. I have submitted 11 such properties that were priced less than 50% of what a real estate broker would list them for and got no response!
I believe Tom has lost control over his EMPLOYEES!!!

This could be a great start up benefiting prospectors here in the east. I say prospectors because that is what takes place here. It has NOTHING to do with 1872 mining law and the very expensive fight people in the west are involved in. In the past I have sent [a fair chunk of] money to support the west's legal battles. I would now rather spend some of my donations a bit more local in hopes of better representation here.

The key here in the east is privately owned land, whether leased, purchased, or free access by the owners/members. I have contemplated for over a year now, selling part or all of my 125 acre homestead here in southern Maine to purchase gold bearing property/properties elsewhere in the northeast. Possibly opening a campground for prospectors, hunters, and others.

I am very interested in hearing more about this idea and possibly helping in some capacity!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I personally think Tom is burned out...

sent from a potato...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I wish Gpaa had some claims in Maine. I would make good use if them...

sent from a potato...

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent them information on a 600 acre parcel that encompassed nearly a mile of the East Branch Swift River, both sides, for $166, 000. I called, emailed, sent private messages, and wrote a letter. It sold for an offer of $143,000 to someone from Mass.

Damn shame!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I sent them information on a 600 acre parcel that encompassed nearly a mile of the East Branch Swift River, both sides, for $166, 000. I called, emailed, sent private messages, and wrote a letter. It sold for an offer of $143,000 to someone from Mass.

Damn shame!

I agree. Damn shame...

sent from a potato...

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Good luck Eastern guys & gals! :icon_thumright: Getting together to discuss future plans & possibilities sounds perfect. Just because something hasn't been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done. And no need for tug-of-war between groups or localities. :cat: Andi

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck Eastern guys & gals! :icon_thumright: Getting together to discuss future plans & possibilities sounds perfect. Just because something hasn't been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done. And no need for tug-of-war between groups or localities. :cat: Andi

No kidding. That's exactly right, and I hope it works for the prospectors in the east so that you can find a solution to your unique concerns.

All the best as you find that solution,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know here in Indiana a few years back we had problems with the DNR and from what I heard the GPAA left us on our own as they had their own fight out west, so I guess the club members had to do it on their own with no help from the national chapter. After they were invited out for a day to see what we do they didn't really have a problem with it, I really believe they seen how little of gold a very hard days work would get you and left us alone, I think they thought people were making a lot of money at it and wanted their cut and when they found out people weren't getting rich off of it they decided to leave us alone. Had they decided to make bad and hard laws on prospecting it would have harder to change once they were in place so the time to fight it was then, I think the GPAA forgets us here as we don't have much gold and probably very few people in the GPAA here in Indiana.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread