All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Things to check:
- county assessors office or website if you're lucky to determine ownership
- BLM office to ask about claims in that area and land mgmt rules (assuming it's federal land

...no such thing as a claim on non-federal land, if state/county then unclaimable and follow their rules on prospecting as ya ain't got no rights but may be able to prospect as allowed. If private then ask permission from landowner of course.

Last edited:

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
You are all of our heroes if indeed you are a full time prospector. Who cares what the laws are if your depending on it for a living. Just go where people aren't.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
<snip>Who cares what the laws are if your depending
on it for a living. Just go where people aren't.

I strongly disagree; there is still a matter of what we used to call "Honor".

While it make make things a little tougher, doing it legal
makes it worthwhile. Where is the honor in swiping gold
from someone else's claim?

Have we become a society that believes, regardless of the
law, that so long as we can get away with it, it's OK?

Jake, ya got my respect as well. It sounds like you're doing
the right kind of homework, and hope you can find a good
area loaded with big 'Ol Chunks of AU!

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My mother taught me that if you take something that belongs to someone else it's stealing. Theft is antisocial and hurts your fellow man, no matter what your reasoning is.

Did you have a mother?

Heavy Pans to all, I hope you are enjoying your Easter weekend.

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dido clay diggings, when you steal from a man,s claim your taking away from his livelihood, that could be dinner or gold for needed repairs. DON'T STEAL! I prospect for a living, if you ask to prospect on my claims I will likely say yes because you asked. if you claim jump, see you in court.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey clay this is easy for you to say while you have a roof over your head.
Im not talking about claim jumping, nowhere did i say that.
If a place is open as far as you know, go for it. Forget all the tight wads and goodie two shoes telling you to get a lawyer to research for you.
OF COURSE get permission and research
If you dont want trouble though..GO WHERE PEOPLE ARNT!!
P.S.

Wyo Outdoorsman

Greenie
Mar 12, 2014
Southwest Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must of scared Jake off?

If it is the Wyoming side there are a lot of steps for sluicing & panning. I am new to this hobby and getting info has been hard. As stated above, you have to check the county or BLM to see if there is a claim already where you are planning to go.

Here is the Wyoming guideline.

http://deq.state.wy.us/lqd/downloads/Guidelines/Guideline_19_(11_2012).pdf

and for the Medicine Bow National Forest area you will need this one too.

Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests & Thunder Basin National Grassland - Recreation Passes & Permits

This short cut might not work yet, it was the 2013 LOA

And after all of that the season is only 1 July to 1 Sep.

Hope that helped for those without a claim wanting to go out with there pan's and sluices for a weekend or two this summer.

Last edited:

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the Wyoming side of the gorge is park service, (no prospecting), on the Utah side below the dam is park service to browns hole,(no prospecting)from browns hole to dinasuor national park is mostly private property,(there are some blm lands). if you get away from the river and out of the park, their is some forest service and blm land that has some gold, problem for some is there's no water, use dry methods of recovery. hope this helps.

grizzly, your right their are a lot of areas that are not under claim and are free to do what ever, go where ever. thanks

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jake ,must be out prospecting, he hasn't responded to this tread since he started it. best of luck!

Wyo Outdoorsman

Greenie
Mar 12, 2014
Southwest Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a day trip last summer starting out at Green River WY to find out if you need a permit in the Ashley National Forest, like the Medicine Bow, could not get a answer in Green River, Manila, or Vernal USFS offices. Lol Had a nice lunch in Vernal and came home.

Prospect007 - Do you have to get a LOA? Do you need anything from the state of Utah? Was wanting to stop a couple place's on top and fill a 5 gal bucket in a couple dry creeks and bring it home to see if I could see any color or not? Maybe a little MD'ing too.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No prospecting in the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area on either side of the border.

About a mile back from the lake is BLM managed lands on the Wyoming side and Forest Service lands on the Utah side. You can prospect without a permit on either BLM or Forest Service managed Public lands that are not already claimed.

Get the MTP for the area you are interested in and then check the LR2000 and the County Recorders office for claims before you go. Sweetwater County in Wyoming and Daggett County in Utah.

Heavy Pans

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey clay this is easy for you to say while you have a roof over your head.
Im not talking about claim jumping, nowhere did i say that.
If a place is open as far as you know, go for it. Forget all the tight wads and goodie two shoes telling you to get a lawyer to research for you.
OF COURSE get permission and research
If you dont want trouble though..GO WHERE PEOPLE ARNT!!
P.S.

I don't see where anyone on this thread, or any other, suggested you should " get a lawyer to research for you". I'm full time in the mining business and I do that research myself, like every other small prospector has for more than 140 years. You don't need to be a lawyer to do claims research but you do need to do claims research to be a successful prospector.

When I do have a roof over my head I have the same morals as when I do not. Just the way I was brought up. I don't need to make excuses or rationalize about taking other people's property because I don't steal.

I keep it simple and do my job before I prospect new ground. Claims status is just one of the many skills that a full time prospector must learn to be successful at their profession. If working hard at what I do and treating other miner's property with respect makes me a "goodie two shoes" or a "tight wad" in your eyes - well you are welcome to your opinion. Everyone has one. :laughing7:

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right again clay, I found some info east of flaming gorge about some ancient shore line having gold in sandstone, still researching. didn't say how much.

keep researching, digging, and having fun.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not talking about claim jumping, nowhere did i say that.

No, but you did say:

Who cares what the laws are if your depending on it for a living.

Why would you not consider claim jumping if you don't care about the laws? (rhetorical)

You'll never get anything good from doing something wrong, as the "Eternal
Law of Retribution" (aka: Karma) will even the score sooner or later. Do it right
and legal the first time, and then you aren't looking over your shoulder for
Johnny Law (or karma) to come along.

You certainly won't get anywhere in life trying to rationalize that breaking
the law is OK if you need the money. Prisons are full of people who learned
the hard way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread