Someone Close To Home Grew a Set Of B***s

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
According to the article there is an active run of WILD Steelhead
currently spawning in that river. If so, THEY NEED TO STOP work
until the redds have hatched out.

Our true, wild Steelhead are getting very scarce in these creeks,
and in this case I'm in 100% agreement with that fish bio. The
Bio even mentioned he'd approve a permit after the run!

I'm sorry the construction company didn't plan well, but if
they had waited a couple months to do the work they might
not have had any problems at all. As it is, the state (and Fed's)
can probably throw the book at 'em. The construction company
is in the wrong, in this case.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes, i agree this will only bring bad press from the zealots, we have a season for dredging, and it is outside the runs to protect spawning.
you can not do the work these guys are doing without gov permits in place, state and federal, these can take a couple of years to get, EIRs but i have seen this non-sense take even longer, Gravel company in Petaluma fighting tooth and nail for a permit, think it has been 10 years for them now , the tunnel from Pacifica to halfmoon bay took over 30/40years
Chris Knutsen, a fish biologist with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, said the company is doing work in the Salmonberry River without a permit while wild steelhead are spawning.
however, good or bad this will set a precedence

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The state of Oregon has been trying to shut down dredging and the DEQ has also changed a lot of rivers without salmonin them to 303D status that also makes it illegal to dredge according to the state. I for one am not happy with there strong arm tactics and illegaly passed bills and laws, I aggree that the timing is not the best for them to do there work but the ODFWs in -water work period is not a law, it's only recommended. This case could be very intersting in regards to mining on Federal claims so I am supporting this lawsuit. The fact that they are saying F*** Y** to the state and also taking a stand and standing up for there rights is what more should be doing instead of of just saying yes sir, whatever you say!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It appears in this case that a compromise would have been far better so as not to anger more interest groups that don't need to be stirred up or set against others. If this construction continues, it may just result in more of a divide and conquer mentality that can result in unforeseen consequences. In our situation with mining, we also have to work around the spawning seasons, and I've never had a problem supporting that, ever, as I'm an avid fisherman too.

I can also see the other side of the issue with the State being heavy-handed and classifying streams in the same manner with a "just because we can" attitude. That has to stop, and the attitude that they can supersede federal law just because as well.

So, there needs to be some kind of a compromise on the part of the construction company when things appear to be so black and white on this spawning issue as this may be a classic case of a wrong trying to be made into a right, or maybe better stated as a wrong trying to be justified by a "right".

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked a portion of this railroad in 98 after the 97 flood. The river where they are working in my opinion will have very little impact on the spawning of salmon due to the fact that the majority of the fish just swim right on past headed for the smaller streams where they would rather spawn. The railroad is working along one side of the main channel.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been through this issue with Oregon back in the mid 80s and we didn't get done quick enough so $230,000 in fines and another $300,000 in labor and equipment costs lost also. Big pockets to play this game,convaluted to say the least,#1 is there REALLY salmon reds there or planted by insane environutz-been there too as caught'm in the process-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread