Upvote 0

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have a particular area in mind, try looking for online tax assessors maps/ GIS maps for that county. They will sometimes tell you who owns/controls a piece of property. They do vary wildly though. I know here in California the GIS for placer county will tell me if a parcel is owned by "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA", meaning it's public land. For El Dorado county it will show me a contact address - if it's 100 Forni road, Placerville I know it's forestry land, and if it's 2600 Cottage way, Sacramento, I know it's BLM land. The GIS for the Yuba area is pretty much useless though. As I said, they vary a lot from county to county.
Sorry I can't provide anything more specific to your area as I've never been there. Hope this helps a little though.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in Georgia an i wanted to go prospecting this Thursday.
I've heard there are many spots on public land that bear gold and are commonly known
I've looked all over the internet and i cant even find a map of public land in Georgia let alone
commonly worked spots i could visit; any help is appreciated.
thanks

The Iowa Gold site is very general info, and I know for my state
(WA), most of their suggestions would have you chasing empty
gravel all day. Still, it's a place to start.

Is there a shop in the area that specializes in prospecting gear?
If so, give them a call and see if they can suggest a local, public
spot where a novice might find a flake or two.

Don't forget there are some gorgeous gems to be found
in Ga. soil, too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread