New strike!

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Yesterday while cutting some firewood I stumbled across a quarts vein outcropping. As I poked around a bit I began to notice some red/orange streaks surrounded by black. I took my hatchet I carry for knocking dead branches off while cutting wood and broke off a chunk. I was thinking of crushing it, then panning at home. To my surprise and delight I stood dumbfounded while staring directly at three fairly large picker/nuggets weighing a total of 1.5 oz!
I know nothing about hard rock mining can anyone help me? Equipment, technique, and the like.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Before you get into mining plans you will need to determine the status of the land you found the gold on. Is the land private? Is it public land open to claim? Is the land already claimed?

Just because you discover gold doesn't mean you have a right to take it for your own. Figure out the land status before you do anything else.

Good Luck!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations on a great find! Most people only dream of the find you've made, but as Clay has informed you, you'll need to check on the land status before you make any other serious plans.

I'm sure you've already tested to make sure it's gold as it appears you're already used to working with placer.

All the best and congratulations on your good fortune,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Come on you guys, check the date...April 1st?
:laughing7:

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost got me.

I was thinking that must be one big "chunk" if you got 1.5oz of gold out of it :D

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First the Black Pan at the hardware store and now this. You Are A Master..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread