goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh gee...... I do believe that I'm looking at the next target for the EPA and the enviro-wackos. Let's face it folks... It's not going to matter what you are mining for, they're going to try to shut you down to save some frog, bug or bird that doesn't need saving anyway.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Indiana it's not unheard of to find small diamonds, rubies, and sapphires in your sluice or pan, garnets are quite common.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There was a commercial diamond mine operating in northern Colorado a decade ago. They got good results but the company failed due to some sort of financial deal going bad. The diamonds are still there waiting...

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am waiting for Todd Hoffman to start a diamond mine operation in the midwest so I can join him and make enough to purchase a bridge in Brooklyn I heard about.

JaDogg

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yuh know I see people bashing Todd Hoffman all over this board, but he went out and found a way to pursue his dreams. Nobody else did it. He may make some ridiculous decisions but he's not just mining he's making a TV show. And if it wasn't for him all those other guys on the show wouldn't be rolling in dough either. Make fun of him all you want, I know many of you would trade places with him in a heartbeat.

JaDogg

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't read the article. looks like you have to have a subscription. What's the jist of it?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yuh know I see people bashing Todd Hoffman all over this board, but he went out and found a way to pursue his dreams. Nobody else did it. He may make some ridiculous decisions but he's not just mining he's making a TV show. And if it wasn't for him all those other guys on the show wouldn't be rolling in dough either. Make fun of him all you want, I know many of you would trade places with him in a heartbeat.

You can mark me down for a no on that one!

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, that's ten years old.

Years ago there was a documentary of the guy that went up and sampled all over. They had realized that the glaciers had dragged the gravels from the original kimberlite pipes and by sampling a lot, was able to find the source(s). Diamond Road maybe? Fire into ice if you're looking for a read

Charles Fipke

[edit]http://discovermagazine.com/1994/nov/thegreatcanadian454

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been prospecting for diamonds in western Wyoming for 3 or 4 years. I mainly did it in the fall for 3 weeks, but sold my business last year, so am looking forward to an entire summer over there this year. I'm fairly certain I know the location of 1 kimberlite pipe, and 50% certain on 2 others. Lots of chrome diopside and pyrope garnets, but no diamonds yet.
Jim

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are also kimberlite pipes with diamonds in east central WY just north of the CO border. Good luck with your search this season!

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
People like to make fun of bumbling idiots. It's human nature. Living the dream is great but when you're also staking the income and the lives of several other people on those dreams you best know what you're doing. I'm a retired auto mechanic. If I wake up tomorrow morning and decide I'd like to be a stock broker and I have a pile or YOUR money to invest you might see things differently. Of course if someone decided to make a "reality" show out of it we could all be rich no matter how stupid I am...

Last edited:
OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ICMJ sub, less then 28 greenbacks for great read and info, cost more to fill the tank and look for gold and ICMJ helps the cause
Einstein found a thousand ways it didn't work
prospecting with a gold pan has it's rewards and risk, have a look at "walks with broken pan" <-- and he scores

I have a book, small pamphlet "Diamonds in California pages of history" that is almost 60 years old, it's a great read. I would cast a beady eye, more on todays info with the Net, too easy to part a fool and her/his money, ya see it all the time "I have no much monie for gold mine on Alcatraz island"

Goldchaser, is this the guy that spent like 10 years lookin for the diamonds up in the Yukon?, friends kept supporting him loads of money, fought offf the de beers. tracing and loking for the garnet 9, now, all sitting on easy street
nothing venture, nothing gained

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have yet to see a single pic of a diamond from Boise. Supposedly, they are there, but not the source rock. I'm looking for a source. I'm too old to mine diamonds. I want the source. The source I can sell. I've heard a couple of people mention diamonds in the river near Boise, but every time I try to pin them down there's some excuse why no pics, and no documentation. I've mentioned before that the underlying craton extends as far west as Twin Falls, and south to about Jackpot, so it's possible there is a pipe somewhere in the South Hills, or between Jackpot and Oakley somewhere. I doubt many people have even looked.
Jim

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Diamonds in the California Motherlode.
Diamonds around Flagstaff, Arizona.
Diamonds in Jemez and around Valles Caldera in New Mexico.

Lots of Diamonds in North America. Just no chance of developing a commercial mine without DeBeers distribution system. The big dogs want their cut.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Naaah...there's plenty of chance. Most prospectors wouldn't know a raw diamond if it said "raw diamond" on the side. There are diamond pipes out there, in the west, and midwest, but very few people trying to find them. Doesn't have anything to do with DeBeers. Takes "boots on the ground", time and effort. It's not as easy as finding a little gold. Most of the diamonds found have been found by people prospecting for gold. But, there are places with diamonds, and no gold, that people ignore, so the diamonds are never found. There have been documented diamonds found at McCall, Idaho, at the north end of the Wind River range in Wyoming, in the Gros Ventres range in Wyoming, near Dillon, Montana, and other places. No source for these diamonds has ever been found.....mainly because nobody is looking.
Jim

JaDogg

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim I agree with you. I believe that there are way more diamond sources here in the states than people think. I have spent a bunch of time at the crater of diamonds in arkansas and researching the history of it. There are actually lots of pipes near by. Some have been commercially tested, some have not. My bet is actually in the appalachians. If you look at how many diamonds have been found out there in the rivers and creeks, there has to be some serious pipes that are yet to be uncovered. I think the forests in that area have helped to hide them. I know of several fellows that have found decent diamonds here in Missouri. They are all glacial drift though, and not in any decent numbers. I'm betting some poor, dirt poor Appalachian has a cabin right now sitting right on top of a diamond pipe with no clue whats under their feet. I only wish I had time to explore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread