Poor mans DIY trommel

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disappointed. :sadsmiley: I'm sick of clicking on these "poor man" threads and finding million dollar projects! :tongue3:

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
grazjsw,

Nice trommel. What motor are you using? More details would be helpful. Thanks for the videos.

Mike

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have an adjustment for the v-belt to keep tension right?
From the motor mount maybe.

OP
OP
G

grazjsw

Apr 3, 2014
Rovaniemi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi peeps !
thanks for the replys.
Ok the motor is trucks windscreen wiper motor 24v. Its working whit 2 x 12v batteries connected as cross to provide 24 volts. But im going to change it to normal 240v motor what have a low gear on it.
and it will work whit agregat.
The reason why im saying that this is poor mans trommel is:
All parts except pipes i have found from my old stuff what i have at home. So money spent is very low pipes cost 12€. and all others are recycle stuff.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow....I can't imagine why jcazgoldchaser is so disappointed. Looks like an awesome unit built from whatever grazjsw could recycle. I don't know how you would build a simpler design that works. Lets face it, a trommel has a few moving parts and can only be simplified so much. This ain't no million dollar project here for sure. Dennis

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just me, but anytime i see a project done with scrap around the yard/house, woohoo trobleshooting thoughtfulness, making soimething work with what you have on hand is a heck of a lot tougher to put together? Kudos

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
grazjsw,

Thank you for the answers. Never thought of using a wiper motor. Very cool.

Mike

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that the trommel is a very functional piece of Gold equipment and who cares if it was cheap, because it works and is quite compared to most trommels. Like 2cmorau said, making something work from mainly items you have laying around takes some thought and engineering. The trommel also appears light weight and with a good carriage and wheels, would be easy to get in and out of some remote locations. That in itself would benefit 60% of the Prospectors on TNnet that rough it in some rough and remote areas. Even in areas that are easy to get to, the trommel is perfect as it would be easy to haul, easy to unload and could be up and running in a very short time, then easy to break down and reload when you are done.

grazjsw... Thanks for sharing! I hope that you might post a write-up and pics on how TNnet folks might build this cheap and low-budget trommel.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grazjsw

Apr 3, 2014
Rovaniemi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx again for the reply. Did you guys check the link where I have photos about this project?. And Sry if my English typing ain't so perfect. That motor I found couple of years ago from friends trash :). I'm not sure if it will last long period runs. That pipe is 32mm pipe. The motor holder I made my self. We have gold fields in Finnish lappland but its expensive to have own claim. Shovel rights start cost is bit over 2000€ after that 50€ per eager. So we have this Finnish mining society joining payment is only 33€ after that 20€/year. But in their claim its not possible to use my trommel. Luckyly I can visit my friends claim and I can use it. Il try to make a "novel" manual how I made my trommel :)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then you may like a $50 trommel, even less if you already have the buckets. :tongue3:
Plans: Mike's Hand Trommel
Crap, everyone knows I was kidding right?

I love those drain pipe trommels and with a little paint, he could probably sell a few!

... my backyard...
php03wAQMPM.jpg

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....I can't imagine why jcazgoldchaser is so disappointed. Looks like an awesome unit built from whatever grazjsw could recycle. I don't know how you would build a simpler design that works. Lets face it, a trommel has a few moving parts and can only be simplified so much. This ain't no million dollar project here for sure. Dennis
Someone missed the funny face. "Disappointed" quote, quote, because it looks like a commercially produced trommel... a "million dollar trommel", not a "poor man's" trommel.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Someone missed the funny face. "Disappointed" quote, quote, because it looks like a commercially produced trommel... a "million dollar trommel", not a "poor man's" trommel.

I saw it and got it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread