Day on the North Fork - Euchre Bar Trail

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, took a break from the daily grind and ran up to the hills today. Hit up the Euchre bar trail. Needless to say, the river was gorged - forgot about snow melt. Moved some big boulders worked the gravels underneath for four hours and didn't even pull anything but a few colors.

I panned four five gallon buckets worth of material - couldn't use the MacKirk because of the river flow.

Anyone have advice of where, what I need to do different so I don't get skunked again next time? Anyone have luck in this area?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Euchre Bar doesn't have the best geology for finding gold. The serpentine fault shear belt is downstream and the Shoo Fly sedimentary zone runs upstream for about seven miles.

You should be aware that the North Fork of the North Fork is heavily claimed (both lode and placer claims) upriver from the confluence with the North Fork. There are a few gulch placer claims there too. Gulch placers claims are made as long strips along the river because there are no minerals above the riverbed. Bad geology for placer gold.

I would work my way downstream towards Green Valley. Just be careful because all of Green Valley and about half the land upriver through the serpentine belt is private land. The best mineralized areas along the shear zone there are patented private property.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
AU_Solitude

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks very much Clay, that was a big help! I had planned on going down to the green valley area as I have done alright a few times there before, but snow on the ground and mud made it too much of a safety hazard yesterday. (The only way I know of getting there)

I have the private lands marked out on a topo :thumbsup:

Is there a faster way to get to the green valley than parking at iron point? Or is that the only trail access point?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could try going in through Iowa Hill -> Elliot Ranch -> Green Valley Trail but I'm guessing Elliot Ranch will be a little tough until it dries out some. That trail drops you into the river along Forest Servicde managed land so no private property for about 700 foot upriver and about 1/4 mile downriver. You will be on the South side of the river there.

go4thegold

Greenie
May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could you post coordinates to where this trail begins? I've been looking for a way to get further up the North Fork.
I can become a mountain goat but if there's a trail then heh,
I'd much rather do that. :)

-*UPDATE Got the trail start.
"Most difficult" difficulty of trail huh?

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found good gold sniping and crevesing in the auburn state rec area, murders bar has showed me good color in the past.. Might want to consider this as an option at least you know you wont be on claimed land.. Sniping and crevesing you shouldn't be messed with but the law tries to enforce a hands and pan rule that has since been abolished with the help of the new 49ers. Somewhere on here theres a posted letter explaining this. If they do give you trouble carry the letter though it may not help much but it should be thrown out in court if it goes that far..

Its hard finding un claimed land with accesses to it, be creative think outside the box and most of all research and then do more! Landmatters will be your best friend for this.. Try not to fall in love with one spot unless it treats you right, Ive gone up to one area for years where ill go and find very little then next time do very well and so on.. Your going to have bad days in this but it will only make you better in the long run, gold is crazy there much more to it than inside bends and behind big rocks.. The better gold ive found has usually been in the areas that dont really make sense, could be many reasons for this but you have to get out as much as possible the hands on imo is one of the most important parts..

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can go in on the Euchre Bar Trail or you can come in from Foresthill down the trail that cuts across the Dooer (sp?) Ranch property. The Euchre Bar Trailhead is just past the cutoff to the Rawhide mine. Right now the river is up, ~ 700 cfs, though just before the rain/snow melt it was 150 cfs. Green Valley can also be accessed from the Foresthill side, it will take some google and map work to confirm the roads to take but as I vaguely recall the left turn off of main street, in Foresthill, is very close to the Cemetery just outside of town. I've ridden my Rokon down both trails and I've hiked cross country from Euchre Bar Trail to Green valley.

Down river from Green Valley there used to be many mine holes on the right side just before Lovers Leap Gorge. In Green Valley on the Alta side is Joe Steiners grave. A whole lot of mining history in that canyon! Between Green Valley and Euchre Bar there is not a trail though I'd bet the miners had a way to hike it long ago. As I mentioned above I have hiked between the two canyons staying on the Alta side of the canyon, if you try it you might even run across my red plastic trail markers. I've rafted from Euchre Bar through the gorge into GV and then on down to the second bridge with the road going between Cool and Colfax. The first gorge was barren of any signs of hard rock mining though lots of tunnels close to the Dooer property, big extensive ones at that. There used to wooden ladders in one of them where they followed a gold seam way up out of my flashlights ability to shine. Crazy dangerous!

Continue your exploring as there will be plenty of discoveries to make........................63bkpkr

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The geology and sheer size of the canyons surrounding the various forks of the American River are awe inspiring. I took my first trip out on Mosquito Ridge road recently. Can you say WOW?!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mosquito Ridge road eventually links up with the Foresthill Divide road and yes, there are many extremely inspiring vistas along the way. I've been warned to be careful about going into Deadwood Canyon.

The old maps show placer mines above 7000' in that general vicinity and above it. In some cases a person might not need to drop down a canyon wall to find color. Then again, I love the water so going down a canyon wall is just part of any trip I take in there.........................63bkpkr

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be creative and think outside the box, ha said? I did. First claim I pulled up on mylandmatters.org, the owner happened to live in the same I do, so I decided to write a letter to ask for permission and it was given. 20 acres. He even shared a few stories about the claims history. VERY NEAT!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, took a break from the daily grind and ran up to the hills today. Hit up the Euchre bar trail. Needless to say, the river was gorged - forgot about snow melt. Moved some big boulders worked the gravels underneath for four hours and didn't even pull anything but a few colors.

I panned four five gallon buckets worth of material - couldn't use the MacKirk because of the river flow.

Anyone have advice of where, what I need to do different so I don't get skunked again next time? Anyone have luck in this area?

Wow!! What a great response to your request!

You've hit your own little goldmine of information right here on T-Net, and kudos to those of you that so unselfishly provided help.

All the best,

Lanny

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the second time ever prospecting in my life, I finally found gold! 20 minutes worth of crevicing and boom! I started off with a little sniping, but water was a little high and fast. After hours without success, I tried crevicing up on the bank.

image.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Lanny has taught, there is loose gold in solid bedrock. Cracks and crevices can yield some nice gold, best of success........................63bkpkr

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the NFA. Piles of cobble caught my attention, then started noticing crevices. image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions