Best lighting for night gokd recovery please?

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sluicer

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a lot experience in this but I have noticed that it seems much easier to see the cons. In a yellow light (household) compared to a white shop type light

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold will show a luster in all light but pyrite or fools gold will shine only in the sun. When you see the two together you will never forget the difference.
As the vision grows less sharp, bright daytime sun becomes more necessary... :tongue3:

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Night time mining? Sound like someone is trying to avoid detection by the authorities:thumbsup:
Don't laugh, it may come down to that pretty soon...they're making outlaws of all of us.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also wondering about LED's, but they might be to bright, but they sure would mount easily on a Gold Cube or spiral wheel?

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
get a big camo tarp enclose the ops or get a set
th

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean guy's. In my province, they're talking about making a claim renewal fee for a year from $800 to $2000, and that's even for us bucket brigade weekend wannabee's! From what I've learned so far, our government SUCKS, but our claim inspectors are not bad people. Of course you might run into a bad one, you know, his daughter in-law that is living in his/her basement is pregnant for the 5th time...lol...and they take their mood out on you.
But for the most part, they just want to see you leaving no "foot print" on mother nature. Since I'm already a tree hugger and an angler, I have no problem with that.
It looks like I'll have to experiment with the lights?

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Running with lights at night would be the worst way to avoid detection. I would guess you are just increasing the hours in the day. Power considerations come into play if you're out in the field. What are you using? We've run off our vehicle (12volt) working nights in the desert.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the night vision approach. Ive never panned at night. Im sure you could get good at figuring out gold with night vision. 8-)

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We aren't trying to avoid detection Goldog, just extending our processing hours. Like I said, in a fairly deep ravine running North to South, you get very limited direct sunlight, and you can forget about seeing a sunrise or sunset.
In our area we get from about 11am to 4pm of sunlight, the rest is shade. We don't want to be stumbling around in the dark looking for soil samples, that's unsafe, and borderline stupid...lol. BUT, beer, bacon and a Gold Cube or Spiral Wheel near the camp fire, sounds like a perfect night time mining activity to us!
That's why I'm looking for the best 12V lighting for night time processing.
Thanks for the feedback!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
L.E.D.

They use the least power to provide the brightest light.

Are you packing a motorcycle battery? Or is it the big car battery?

A couple of motorcycle batteries will run LED's for a long time. Look up the wattage of the lights you want to use, then figure out how much usage time you'll get from your batteries. Even LED's in flashlights will run way longer than a conventional bulb's burn time.

Find out everything you can about LED's as I think that's where you should invest your research time as you'll get a way longer burn time. Moreover, some of the stand-alone LED units come with brackets or clamps that let you orient them in all kinds of useful configurations.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB I'm so glad you answered my post, your like a celebrity to me, NO KIDDING, I've read lots of your posts!!
I really, really hope your right about LED's Lanny, not just because your smart, but because...and get this...I work for Canada's largest sign manufacturer, Pattison Sign Group...LOL. I can do LED'S in my sleep, and forget the Spiral Wheel, I'll light up a Ferris Wheel..lol. So cross your fingers.
I'll let you know how it works out when I do the proto in my back yard.
Thanks again!

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB I'm so glad you answered my post, your like a celebrity to me, NO KIDDING, I've read lots of your posts!!
I really, really hope your right about LED's Lanny, not just because your smart, but because...and get this...I work for Canada's largest sign manufacturer, Pattison Sign Group...LOL. I can do LED'S in my sleep, and forget the Spiral Wheel, I'll light up a Ferris Wheel..lol. So cross your fingers.
Thanks again!

Of course, now the question is what color LEDs. Since you do LEDs, you might have to do some research on this and report back. Maybe you can come up with the wavelength(s) that makes the gold POP in the sluice. At least we don't have to explain voltage and current, series and parallel.

Here is an idea (caution alchohol involved) how about under cabinet low voltage kitchen lights. I've seen them (on this old house). They are modular and the sections snap together.

You're right about Lanny, he's a national.....oops North American treasure:laughing7:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again!

Who knew you were the king of LED? What are the odds?

Well, you should really know what you're dealing with, and as you set it up properly, you should get a great burn time on your battery use.

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your compliments.

All the best,

Lanny

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
I work nights, so find myself going through cons on the back patio at 3am pretty often. I use a 6v coon light(mining lamp) lasts for hours and the gold shows up great.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole world is going LED's, trust me, I know. But I'm talking about spectrum, intensity and light refraction (the water thing). I thought there would be tons of miners who couldn't sleep knowing that those little pickers are lying there waiting to be picked...lol. Someone must of run material in their tent at night??
There's only one way to find out...and watch...through all our discussions, it will be an old Coleman Lamp. :)

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob in KC, that's why we don't take things personal on TNET, the whole world has an opinion! Take the feedback or not, it's access to it that's important. :)

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
L.E.D.

They use the least power to provide the brightest light.

Are you packing a motorcycle battery? Or is it the big car battery?

A couple of motorcycle batteries will run LED's for a long time. Look up the wattage of the lights you want to use, then figure out how much usage time you'll get from your batteries. Even LED's in flashlights will run way longer than a conventional bulb's burn time.

Find out everything you can about LED's as I think that's where you should invest your research time as you'll get a way longer burn time. Moreover, some of the stand-alone LED units come with brackets or clamps that let you orient them in all kinds of useful configurations.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

I'm with Lanny . I don't hunt in the dark ...... but I like the LED's for getting in and out in the dark . They give good light
and hang time with minimal supply / consumption ratios .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread