LR2000 Help??

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter "the Outback"
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need your help. I am bound and determined to locate and purchase a gold claim. I have a location in mind. I got into the LR2000 and found a pile of closed claims. I do believe that is what I am looking for, right? To continue, I know the location, have even pulled up a pile of closed claims. But how do you locate these on a map? I've tried using a search for meridian township range, at least the numbers given. Do I take down the numbers that go with the claim and contact the BLM? Please....HELP???? May your pans be yellow! Mark

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look for active claims. A claim may have been closed and then reclaimed by someone else. There is a post from about a month ago that explains how to use it. type geocommunicator in the TNET search bar and maybe you can find it

OP
OP
U

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look for active claims. A claim may have been closed and then reclaimed by someone else. There is a post from about a month ago that explains how to use it. type geocommunicator in the TNET search bar and maybe you can find it

Thank you. That will be done later when I come home from work. I appreciate that. May your pans be yellow! Mark

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The LR2000 is just a hint for locating a claim. It can tell you that a specific claim has been negated. But sometimes two or more claims occupy the same ground.....which is called "over claiming". Additionally one must put boots on the ground and visually inspect the location; but as stated earlier by "goldenmojo" someone else could have placed new location notices...... and they have 90 days to record and submit the new location to BLM. Even after such actions are taken by a claimant the BLM can drag their feet and not post a new claim on the LR2000.
Additionally a claimant must make discovery to have a valid mining claim.
The LR2000 is a good start....but one should not rely on it completely.
I see you are in Calif. The area you have in mind may have been mapped per the "Footprints" program. The program is very helpful in locating areas to claim.

Bejay

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bejay gave you good advice. The BLM LR2000 can only give you hints as to the land status. The LR2000 is very slow to update and has many mistakes. Claims are not made at the BLM so using their information as your only source to make a claim is futile. The BLM will take claims filings and money from anyone, no matter how many claims are already located in the same spot. The BLM does not map claims nor do they make decisions on what is a valid claim.

Also please be aware that the geocommunicator and the LR2000 are unrelated. The geocommunicator is an online map system that does not have claims information. The LR2000 is an online database that does not have maps.

Here is an illustrated tutorial to help you use the LR2000.
Demystifying the LR2000

Just knowing there was once a claim somewhere does NOT mean:

1. The claim was for gold.
2. If the claim was for gold that any gold was actually present.
3. That the area is unclaimed today.
4. That the area can be claimed.

A better approach would be to:

1. Research to find an area that might have good gold.
2. Find out if the area is open to making claim locations. Some areas are closed to claiming. Private lands are generally not claimable.
3. Find out if there are claims already there. (LR2000 and then a trip to the County Recorder)
4. Investigate the area on the ground for evidence of new claims.
5. Prospect any open ground found for valuable mineral deposits.
6. Make a claim if there is gold on land open to claim OR start over with step one in a new area.

Just because areas have been claimed does not mean they are worth working for gold. Besides the fact that most successful claims are not made for gold (there are lots of other minerals that can be claimed) there is also the problem of claims being made on worthless ground. In my experience the majority of current and past claims aren't located on paying ground.

To find a good paying claim is never a simple matter of just claiming where another claim was closed. Prospecting is hard work. The research on geology, mineralogy, land status and claim status is just as important to prospecting success as learning to use a sluice or a trommel.

Buying a claim or making a paper claim (always illegal) almost always ends badly. Do the research and find a good paying area open to claim. Do the boots on the ground work and come away with a real understanding of the process of prospecting - and a good claim. There are no shortcuts.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
U

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, y'all are awesome!!! Bejay- should I just type in footprints in the search bar? Clay- I have a location in mind. There are some markers but I have not checked to see if they are active...yet. Any other issues I will ask for help. Cuz I am super interested in staking a claim. May your pans be yellow! Mark

OP
OP
U

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bejay please disregard due to after work mental fog. May your pan be yellow! Mark

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usher21 Footprints is a good tool, but the LR2000 is more current. I can even tell you how to check for claim filings for as little as three days ago. For that matter, anyone can PM me for info. PM me and I will PM my phone number to anyone who has questions. I can help a person learn the LR2000.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
usher21 Footprints is a good tool, but the LR2000 is more current. I can even tell you how to check for claim filings for as little as three days ago. For that matter, anyone can PM me for info. PM me and I will PM my phone number to anyone who has questions. I can help a person learn the LR2000.

Thanks for the offer TimC. :thumbsup:

I would love to know how to get 3 day old filings from the LR2000. Please share with us.

You are right than none of the claims information systems are up to date, including FootPrints. It's an impossibility for any system to be current on claims status, including the BLM system, as I'm sure you already know.

Just knowing the claim case status at the BLM is helpful but only a small part of the picture. The BLM doesn't give claim locations except to the nearest quarter section. That could, and often does, leave you with 20 acre claims showing as 160 acres.

Of course even knowing that little bit of information doesn't tell you what lands are still open to prospecting or location. There is a lot more to knowing where you can prospect or make a claim that the information available from the LR2000.

I look forward to your information on how to get current filings from the LR2000.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At point is the simple fact that a prospector must do considerable research in order to file a claim. All "paper/internet" docs can let one know what may be open . In the end it requires boots on the ground.

Per requirements of each state the location of a claim is required in accordance with State Law. If one studies the role given the BLM in accordance with Law the BLM does not maintain CURRENT claim status in so far as they simply post what is given them and track a claims' status. But their tracking is stated by them to be not completely reliable....it is their in house way of basically tracking $$$$$$. Most use the LR2000 for an initial query....then move on to boots on the ground and research county records.

If the location appears to be open one must do boots on the ground and look for a current location notice and monuments/signs etc.

Everything can be 90 in the "grey" and I always allow some time for a recorded locations to go through the mail and get to the BLM regional office.

In talking with some miners the location notice and monuments are posted and then the unrecorded location doc is immediately sent to BLM. The claim is a claim but must be recorded within 90 days to meet the public notice of location requirement. I personally have always placed location notice/monuments.....immediately went and got them recorded and then sent the docs to BLM. Either way the BLM LR2000 can not be current when such claim locations are made. Additionally the BLM records often show many claims occupying the same piece of ground: thus you will see "over claiming"....and the BLM does not give a hoot about that...as they simply track the $$$$/work/maint/issues and the LR2000 is their tracking method.

Boots on the ground are the most secure way of finding out the status after one gains an interest by way of the LR2000. But here in Az many of my friends have recently located claims after using the Footprints mapping program. But they all did the boots on the ground before they placed their location. Then of course they have 90 to secure the claim per State and BLM law/rules.

Just my 2 cents worth of knowledge.

Bejay

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As others have pointed out, LR2000 is barely helpful. The database is not accurate, as it does not reflect what county recorders have in their records. A site can have an active mineral claim, correctly located and actively being worked, and the BLM's database might not have any record of that--- but the county (probably) does. This morning for one example I saw the LR2000 database has marked as "Closed" a mineral claim that is active, and all of the necessary paper work has been filed with the county.

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need your help. I am bound and determined to locate and purchase a gold claim. I have a location in mind. I got into the LR2000 and found a pile of closed claims. I do believe that is what I am looking for, right? To continue, I know the location, have even pulled up a pile of closed claims. But how do you locate these on a map? I've tried using a search for meridian township range, at least the numbers given. Do I take down the numbers that go with the claim and contact the BLM? Please....HELP???? May your pans be yellow! Mark

In my opinion I wish people would *NOT* purchase mineral claims: close to 100% of the buyers are likely to never get their money back from the claim. If people did not buy mineral claims, they would not have to pay much more than what the claim is worth: they would just lease the claim from the BLM.

You asked "But how do you locate these on a map?" The answer is, you do not: you locate them on the ground. Many BLM records in the LR2000 do not record the PLSS information down to quarter-quarter section. Even when they do, not all quarter-quarter sections are 40 acres: some are larger, some are smaller. Another problem is that the LR2000 database does not show all the claims, active or closed, in the area you looked at: there can be active claims in the area you want to file a claim on, but the LR2000 may not show those active claims. County records will be more accurate.

By far the best way to see if an area is still available to claim is to look for monuments and corner markers. Then file paper work for a new claim if you did not see monuments and markers that appear to be maintained--- the BLM and/or the county will then tell you if the area is open to mineral claim and extraction.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my opinion I wish people would *NOT* purchase mineral claims: close to 100% of the buyers are likely to never get their money back from the claim. If people did not buy mineral claims, they would not have to pay much more than what the claim is worth: they would just lease the claim from the BLM. You asked "But how do you locate these on a map?" The answer is, you do not: you locate them on the ground. Many BLM records in the LR2000 do not record the PLSS information down to quarter-quarter section. Even when they do, not all quarter-quarter sections are 40 acres: some are larger, some are smaller. Another problem is that the LR2000 database does not show all the claims, active or closed, in the area you looked at: there can be active claims in the area you want to file a claim on, but the LR2000 may not show those active claims. County records will be more accurate. By far the best way to see if an area is still available to claim is to look for monuments and corner markers. Then file paper work for a new claim if you did not see monuments and markers that appear to be maintained--- the BLM and/or the county will then tell you if the area is open to mineral claim and extraction.
BLM and county could care less on your filing they just want your money do your research for your self the best place to start is LANDMATTERS

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
BLM and county could care less on your filing they just want your money do your research for your self the best place to start is LANDMATTERS

Oak, maybe i'm doing something wrong, but I just accessed the landmatters sight and ran a map of the area where my claim exists. The only two claims that show are the claims that have been established for several years. My claim nor the claim established in September appear on the map. On the other hand, my claim which I finished the paperwork last Thursday, already appears on LR2000.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
QN Landmatters is slow, I have had one of my claims for 24 years and a friend told me a few months back when doing a search my cliam is not on landmatters, like all the other sites to be used as referance, Must go to the county and confirm with BLM by Phone or snail mail

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Absolutely 2c!!! That's what I did before putting boots on ground looking for location notices. I hear people talking about how slow LR2000 is. I think their lag is mostly due to end of year catch up. It seems they're on top of things now.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters claims are updated about once a month. That's a lot more often than the paid services but it's still not going to show a claim that just listed at the LR2000. The last update for California was December 15th. The next one will be this weekend. Your claim will show up then if it's in the LR2000 ACTIVE case listings.

The last time the claims map was updated is noted in the results window for mining claims, it's the last item on the right of each claim listing.

If you have an ACTIVE claims case file with the BLM and it's not showing on the Land Matters claims maps the first thing to do is check the BLM database and make sure your claim is listed in the right Section and Township/Range. It's fairly common for the BLM to slip a digit or two when they enter those. We often see claims anywhere from a mile off (1 section) to 36 miles off (1 township).

If the location is right with the BLM case file you can search the Land Matters claims map for your claim. Just click on the binocular symbol on the right of the map and search for the claim name or for the locator name. When the results window comes up click on the little magnifying glass just to the left of your claim name and the map will zoom to the section your claim is listed in and highlight that section in blue.

A search for a claim name would look like this in the search box for Placer Claims:
[Claim Name] ILIKE '%XXX%'
Just replace the red Xs with the claim name.

If you still can't find your claim on the map please let us know. We use the actual LR2000 database to create the map with so that should never be the problem but it's better we check our database for mistakes in the way claims are listed. We never have missed a claim yet but we would want to fix the problem if there is one. More than 250,000 people a month rely on the Land Matters mapped claims data - including big mining companies and the Forest Service!

Claims that are recorded at the County but not filed with the BLM are not valid. That's been the law since 1976. We regularly see claims where either the County Recording or the BLM filing was omitted. Those claims are void once the 90 day window passes. One of the GPAAs most popular California claims has never been recorded at the County. People often have "claims" on paper only.

Please remember that the LR2000 claims maps are never "current" and don't show, and can't be relied on, to display the actual claim location. These maps are simply a visual representation of the information contained in the BLM LR2000 database. We provide direct links to the current LR2000 case file for each claim and a link to the County Recorders office to assist you in your research.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread