Trying to save the Empire Mine State Park!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Once again, this is all the fault of the enviro wackos and privateers!
Read on: From the union.com

Steps need to be taken now to oppose efforts to sell Empire Mine State Historic Park in Grass Valley, supporters said Tuesday.
“Just the fact that there is some consideration of selling a state park means people need to step in and say, ‘This is not OK,’” said Ray Patton, sector superintendent at the park from 1986 to 2004.
“Tourism is big for Nevada County, and this is one of the biggest draws,” Patton said. “Especially for rural communities — parks are our lifeblood.”
Patton was one of about 50 people at a grassroots rally organized by park neighbor Pat Sharp, who walks there every day.
Other attendees were bikers, hikers, horseback riders, parents who bring their kids there, naturalists, history buffs and politicians.
“This park has been in our family for over 100 years,” said Grass Valley Mayor Dan Miller. “To entertain selling or shutting it down doesn’t sit right in our community.
”The state is manipulating our history,” added Miller, who is seeking to unseat Nevada County Supervisor Terry Lamphier for the 3rd District county seat in the June 3 primary elections.
Lamphier, who could not attend the rally due to the Tuesday morning supervisors’ public meeting, sent a statement that was read to the crowd by Sharp.
“We, the taxpayers, own this park and Grass Valley owes its very existence to the Empire Mine,” Lamphier said. “I resolve to make it a top priority to oppose privatization of Empire Mine State Park.”
Grass Valley resident Virginia Brunini, who was instrumental in the state’s purchase of the park property in 1975, has started a petition drive both in hard copy and online.
The online petition, which has so far more than 900 signatures, is on Facebook at Save the Empire Mine State Historic Park .
Brunini said she collected 500 signatures at her table at SPD Market in Grass Valley over the weekend and intends to continue collecting signatures every weekend through April 28.
Since only adults can sign the petitions, Bonnie Connor of Grass Valley is organizing sixth-, seventh- and eighth-graders at Lyman Gilmore School to send letters directly to state lawmakers.
“We need to mail these in so they know that people over 18 aren’t the only ones,” Connor said.
Connor said she will likely mail them to state Assemblyman Brian Dahle, who represents Nevada County. Brunini said she also intends to give the petitions to state Sens. Jim Nielsen and Ted Gaines, who overlap in representing Nevada County.
“I see people here of all ages and from all countries,” said Bob Thorpe, a blacksmith at the park. “This is such a valuable resource.”
Jim Vaughan, a local naturalist, said he is organizing three free nature walks and a political action committee.
“The state budget is set to be under review in three weeks,” he said. “I want to document all the uses of the park.”
The free nature walks will be 10 a.m., Saturdays, April 12, 19 and 26, starting at Penn Gate.
For more information, email Vaughan at [email protected]
Pat Dyer, of Utopian Stone Goldsmiths, said people need to celebrate the legacy of gold mining and “separate the toxic legacy from the history.”
“Let’s not villainize gold mining because of how they did it back then,” he said. “We know better now how to protect the environment — we can’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.”
Dyer said gold is the core of California’s history.
“Without California’s golden history, the life we live today would not be here,” he said, referring to the railroads and highways built to serve the mining industry.
“Gold and gold mining, we need to celebrate it,” Dyer said.
Patton, one of the earliest supporters of the underground tourist tunnel that the state cancelled earlier this year after spending $3.5 million, said it needs to be completed.
“They put in raw steel beams instead of galvanized steel beam or epoxy-coated beams, so of course they are rusting,” Patton said. “They just need to replace the beams and it will be good to go.”
Patton also said the Newmont Mining Co., which originally mined Empire Mine and created the toxic runoff, needs to pay the cost of the cleanup.
A state Senate subcommittee last month authorized a $5 milliion payment for the toxic waste cleanup, a payment that the committee staff said triggered the idea of selling off the mine due to the ongoing cost paid by the state.

Let me backtrack:

The enviros wanted 5 million to clean up the "toxic" waste at the Magenta Drain. Which is a total boondoggle, as the old cyanide water only stained the dirt orange, and neutralized with the soil as it always does! I have seen it, it is NOTHING! It is NOT toxic!

Well that's when the state decided to offer up the park for sale to private interests(possibly a "good ole boy waiting in the wings for a gravy deal, using a tax subsidy?) Possibly a greenie?

Then the state spent 3.5 million for Mike Miller of the 16-to-1 mine fame to drill out a new tunnel for the tourists to see. Oops! They used raw steel beams, that are now rusting! Well, that's fixable! Who's fault is that? Perhaps it was because of budget restraints? I don't know. And maybe Mike will find a huge gold strike in there. Then, what would happen?

But that should not be an excuse to cancel the whole tunnel operation! You need to look at the whole picture on this. The park is a huge hit with locals and tourists, and is a moneymaker for Nevada County.

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably all speechless like me. Rampant abuse by our government dumping the taxpayers on their dime. Time to throw our political clout at the voting booth. How about a list of miner recommended politicians. I am getting sick of this cr*p

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning my friend, Since I was raised in Grass Valley and the family worked in both the Idaho Maryland and Empire mines I do have an interest, but just found this today.

Where, how, and who do I contact in putting my name on this? Oops will go to --->Save the Empire Mine State Historic Park .

Side issue my father was the Brakeman on the narrow guage RR between Nevada city and Grass Valley.

I have lots of stories of the region, and some revolve around these mines. They were prominent in the life blood of Calif. one time, at least until WW II.

As for the cyanided tailings they were dumped into the creek that runs parallel to E Main st.to Grass Valley, it was white with the cynaided tailings, yet nothing happened to me or my friends who happily splashed around and played in it..

Don Jose de La Mancha ( Joseph Curry [email protected] ) Still involved in mining but in old Mexico.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Bubba but I've been having computer problems lately so wasn't able to respond sooner.

As a State park, that land belongs to the people and it shouldn't be able to be sold unless the people vote to do so. Now can they close it down until they have funding to keep it open? I believe they can. It sucks I know but if they can't sell it and can't afford to keep it open what other choices do they have?

Our government has become a bunch of spineless idiots in some respects and Nazi stormtroopers in others. If they can't keep a balanced budget and stand up for the rights of the people instead of giving in to the enviro wacko groups and their "bought science" they need to be voted out! Common sense should tell them that a scientific FACT is the same for EVERYONE. The people are getting tired of "Bought Science" being used to make policies that meet with the enviro wackos agenda. We're tired of seeing our tax dollars go to them instead of worthwhile things like education, keeping our parks open etc etc etc.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dam them bureauratz all to LL. The Flower of the motherlode MUST remain in public hands. I've been there a dozen times as all visiting friends,relatives and others always want to visit the park. I MUST thank you for the headsup as had not heard a single word on this INSANE notion to sell off our heritage park. I thought it was already listed as a national monument so how can this scum suckn' state sell?? Step by step the states mining legacy is being killed off. I absolutely promise to get my arse in gear on this one and again THANX MUCH for the headsup-respect-John

OP
OP
B

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
G'd morning my friend, Since I was raised in Grass Valley and the family worked in both the Idaho Maryland and Empire mines I do have an interest, but just found this today.

Where, how, and who do I contact in putting my name on this? Oops will go to --->Save the Empire Mine State Historic Park .

Side issue my father was the Brakeman on the narrow guage RR between Nevada city and Grass Valley.

I have lots of stories of the region, and some revolve around these mines. They were prominent in the life blood of Calif. one time, at least until WW II.

As for the cyanided tailings they were dumped into the creek that runs parallel to E Main st.to Grass Valley, it was white with the cynaided tailings, yet nothing happened to me or my friends who happily splashed around and played in it..

Don Jose de La Mancha ( Joseph Curry [email protected] ) Still involved in mining but in old Mexico.

Good to hear from ya, Toyopa Tramp. I love your stories.

An old miner told me the story, who used to work at the Empire, many years ago.

Just before WW II, they opened up a room in a shft, and behold! There was a solid gold hanging wall of pure oro, seven feet high and long! Then the War Production Board, ordered the gold mines shut down, and they cemented over the gold filled room!

Wow! What a waste! That was a huge mistake FDR made shutting the mines down! All that gold could have paid for so much of the war debt.

At the same time, the fabulous Ruby Mine near Alleghany was shut down, after they opened up a room under the ancient channel and saw nothing but solid nuggets all across the ceiling!

Its like a "what was I thinking moment"!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to hear from ya, Toyopa Tramp. I love your stories.

An old miner told me the story, who used to work at the Empire, many years ago.

Just before WW II, they opened up a room in a shft, and behold! There was a solid gold hanging wall of pure oro, seven feet high and long! Then the War Production Board, ordered the gold mines shut down, and they cemented over the gold filled room!

Wow! What a waste! That was a huge mistake FDR made shutting the mines down! All that gold could have paid for so much of the war debt.

At the same time, the fabulous Ruby Mine near Alleghany was shut down, after they opened up a room under the ancient channel and saw nothing but solid nuggets all across the ceiling!

Its like a "what was I thinking moment"!

Great stories!

I can't overstate how important it is to stay connected with the past, and mining is an irrevocable part of the Western U.S.'s mining history.

I hope there's a way to save the park.

All the best,

Lanny

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just signed the petition. (Note: After you sign there is a "donation" screen
that pops up...the donation is to the site, and IS NOT for saving the Park.)

How the hell can they sell off such an important PUBLIC asset
without asking US (the public) if they can sell it? Who gave them
the authority to take OUR assets and sell them without public
approval? (redundant)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread