Questions about platinum nuggets- i live in area known for abundance

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in an area that historically had platinum nuggets recorded in numbers in two locations I've researched out so far. Luckily one is in my home turf on the Salmon River and the other is directly across from my house, and the land lord gave me permission to detect where ever I want, stoked. I live along the Scott River near Callahan, and anyone that knows the area knows the 2.5 mls or so of the enormous Yuba Dredge tailings that dominate the landscape, and its all private. My land lords property hasn't been detected so I hope for the best, all the bedrock is to deep but there's a lot of land and the tailing piles are a good 20 - 30ft tall and miles long.
I've seen many pics of platinum nuggets being mostly black and heavy in the hand, and I know their considered rare, but I have verified historic records of the spots I plan to hit being heavy in platinum- to the point of announce to the old-timers. I was wondering if anyone out there has found any platinum metal detecting and how your machine reacted. Also how it appeared in ther environment and looked in hand.
Thank you
Happy Days_Happy Hunting!
Adam

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I live in an area that historically had platinum nuggets recorded in numbers in two locations I've researched out so far. Luckily one is in my home turf on the Salmon River and the other is directly across from my house, and the land lord gave me permission to detect where ever I want, stoked. I live along the Scott River near Callahan, and anyone that knows the area knows the 2.5 mls or so of the enormous Yuba Dredge tailings that dominate the landscape, and its all private. My land lords property hasn't been detected so I hope for the best, all the bedrock is to deep but there's a lot of land and the tailing piles are a good 20 - 30ft tall and miles long.
I've seen many pics of platinum nuggets being mostly black and heavy in the hand, and I know their considered rare, but I have verified historic records of the spots I plan to hit being heavy in platinum- to the point of announce to the old-timers. I was wondering if anyone out there has found any platinum metal detecting and how your machine reacted. Also how it appeared in ther environment and looked in hand.
Thank you
Happy Days_Happy Hunting!
Adam
Not found with a metal detector, but with a dredge. Found in 1987 near Powers, Oregon, with simple 4' sluice box. Nugget was, as I recall, about the size of a small pea. It looked mostly like a silver or silver-ish nugget. Rather surprised, but not that surprised. The only platinum mine in the United States was in Oregon, just across a river drainage from Powers.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the platinum group,and rhodium from the merced all over the place,as in shasta,trinity counties constantly produce dredged up nuggets up to 2 1/2 dwt,trinity county. Nice and shiny pt but rhodium nasty lookn' blackish crusty lookn'. Sold them when rhodium hit $5,500 a few years back as INSANE price but went to Costa Rica with the cash for a month and partied like a madman-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread