MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Date: April 10, 2014 at 10:35:16 PDT
To: egpaa hutchings <[email protected]>
Subject: FW: GPAA Miners Notice
Folks, here something to keep an eye on.

This Victor Marshall has produced near a couple of hundred you tube videos on mining. From many of them, we recognize outright Trespass, (claim jumping) on several of our folks claims. He seems to have taken advantage of this dry year and is making the rounds to local streams and is demonstrating his prowess at mining.

We are not sure of his motives, but those who have come in contact with him expressed that they feel very uncomfortable around him. We are in contact with the US Forest Service and they are monitoring his activities.

It appears he and his merry men, had damaged some gate locks and broke into the Pine Nut Lodge. As us usual with folks of this brilliance, he has provided quite a bit of video footage of his activities. Some of the footage will be handy in prosecution of Trespass!

We are asking you to be aware, take notice of him and his crew, and report to your local US Forest Service his camp locations, vehicle license plates, and descriptions of individuals. If you are a victim of claim jumping, please file the necessary restraining orders to have him barred from you claims. Feel free to pass on your contact with him to me and we will keep informal track of his activities.

It appears that he has an old white pickup truck, but we do not know much about him otherwise. If you know him, do him a favor and let him know that his activities are noted and that he probably needs to file his own claim and restrain himself.

You can go to You Tube and punch in his name and you will find hours and hours of video.
----------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 11:20:02 -0700
Subject: Fwd: Victor Marshall again
---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Subject: Victor Marshall again
To: [email protected]

Hello Anthony,

I know you have much bigger stuff to be on watch for, so I am just passing this latest along. This Victor Marshall dude, has set up a huge squatter encampment along the river somewhere.

At the 2 minute mark his video scans across a topo map of the Iowa hill area, whether he is there, who knows, but the terrain looks to be about right, if true.

Anyhow, he is still at it, and making a mess everywhere he goes, as seen in this 5 minute video.

Well gentlemen I find this to be so freaking funny!! Huge encampment? My CREW? Also he mentioned that a few people felt uncomfortable around me imagine how I felt I never carry weapons as I am anti gun anti violence and these men come looking for me sometimes they are armed and men are greedy and look for my gold spots. NOT EVER HAVE I EVER HAD ANYONE TELL ME I WAS ON A CLAIM WHY BECOUSE I AINT ON KNOW ONES CLAIM!! Whatever floats their boat.. Seems people own lives aint good enough for them. Well the Simple truth is that this is all lies.. I live in a house. That camp is not mine though I admit I do stop in for a cup of coffee and a game of chess from time to time. Their accusations are just straight lies. It is very sad that they chose to send out this mass email instead of try to talk to me directly.. People from all over the world find it easy enough to email me and contact me though they chose to not to get in touch with me and do this slanderous email.. The simple fact is I am and never ever have been accused by any other Law Enforcement agency of any of the acts described by him. No matter .. Anyway on a different note just got back today from a 4 day trip I did alright.. My brother came out for a day and we had a blast. came home today I am headed back out Tuesday for a week or so. The water is kinda at an awkward stage but not to bad. The weather has been nice..

I said it before and I will say it again... GPAA and other such clubs have exploited small scale mining and are a big reason for the extinction of small scale mining. Once an honest trade is now a recreational activity. What a mockery they make of the actual men who wish to make a living small scale mining!!! Well we can all see the damage the Recreationalist has done and now America is watching another trade become extinct..

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say the shot of the crack at 4:03 is almost criminal....

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Sounds as though he is being accused of claim jumping from his videos. He is also accused of making a mess where ever he goes from his videos. Need to ask Jim Hutchings. I used to go to the meetings in Rio Linda. I know Jim has his own claims. Those meetings were informative. GPAA has changed since then. This is confusing.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you contact him? You have been accused of mineral trespass on this forum as well. From people recognizing where you are. You even admitted/excused yourself once by claiming you were mistaken about where you were. And were incorrect about current claim status at Mineral bar, you argued with those in the know. You lamented on the unfairness of people who have claims and don't use them and the fact that they cut off access to you. There was a thread about locked gates......Political agenda and people who commit the acts of which you have been accused are tarnishing the small scale mining community not clubs and gpaa.... So if you are in the free and clear you have the video evidence..prove it, prove you have never worked another mans claim and that is just a visual misunderstanding...contact Jim openly and show all the members here how much integrity you posses. If I was accused of something I didn't do I wouldn't rest until my name was cleared. And everybody knew it.

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have no need or interest to give justification to you or anyone else as no crimes has been committed. Honestly what are your opinions to me.. Gentlemen you give yourselves to much credit to think that I care what people think of me. You are more then welcome to come to any conclusion you want. No doubt your experience at prospecting is recreational.. Try making a living at it.. Try finding a claim to make wage. try knowing what your talking about! What do you know huh? Though I hate to assume I doubt you have any experience making wage from gold. please correct me if I am wrong.. Though you may find decent gold from time to time try making a living off of it. Then maybe you might have a good leg to stand on actual experience! until then your just blowing smoke. Talking the talk but could never walk the walk.. All to often this forum gets advice from weekend warriors who consider themselves small scale miners.. The simple truth is you are that word you guys all dread Recreationalist!!! No offense but I tend to pay attention to men who are actually succsessfull at mining/prospecting. But that's just me.. Gentlemen I am about gold that's it!! I do it withen the restraints of the law and though I am not perfect I do my best. I only hope to inspire men and show them it's still possible to make a living small scale mining and hope to keep this lost art alive.. You go to gold shows enjoy your pay to play claims and all the clubs and pretend for a little while that you are a miner, prospector.. hell you probaley have a recreational claim that you and friends visit on the weekends just for fun. No intention on working it for profit more a sense of entitlement something fun to do.. They pretend that the mining rights apply but in truth those laws were written for men who wanted to make a living from prospecting mining not as a freaking weekend hobby.. The simple truth is your very use and attitude is the very cancer that has just about destroyed small scale mining.. What a mockery it is to blatently misuse mining rights for your recreational activites All at the exspense of the actual small scale miners community.. Anyway crazy days crazy days...

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have no need or interest to give justification to you or anyone else as no crimes has been committed. Honestly what are your opinions to me.. Gentlemen you give yourselves to much credit to think that I care what people think of me. You are more then welcome to come to any conclusion you want. No doubt your experience at prospecting is recreational.. Try making a living at it.. Try finding a claim to make wage. try knowing what your talking about! What do you know huh? Though I hate to assume I doubt you have any experience making wage from gold. please correct me if I am wrong.. Though you may find decent gold from time to time try making a living off of it. Then maybe you might have a good leg to stand on actual experience! until then your just blowing smoke. Talking the talk but could never walk the walk.. All to often this forum gets advice from weekend warriors who consider themselves small scale miners.. The simple truth is you are that word you guys all dread Recreationalist!!! No offense but I tend to pay attention to men who are actually succsessfull at mining/prospecting. But that's just me.. Gentlemen I am about gold that's it!! I do it withen the restraints of the law and though I am not perfect I do my best. I only hope to inspire men and show them it's still possible to make a living small scale mining and hope to keep this lost art alive.. You go to gold shows enjoy your pay to play claims and all the clubs and pretend for a little while that you are a miner, prospector.. hell you probaley have a recreational claim that you and friends visit on the weekends just for fun. No intention on working it for profit more a sense of entitlement something fun to do.. They pretend that the mining rights apply but in truth those laws were written for men who wanted to make a living from prospecting mining not as a freaking weekend hobby.. The simple truth is your very use and attitude is the very cancer that has just about destroyed small scale mining.. What a mockery it is to blatently misuse mining rights for your recreational activites All at the exspense of the actual small scale miners community.. Anyway crazy days crazy days...

The first section of the 1872 Mining Act

An Act to promote the Development of the mining Resources of The United States.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That all valuable mineral deposits in lands belonging to the United States, both surveyed and unsurveyed, are hereby declared to be free and open to exploration and purchase, and that the lands in which they are found to occupation and purchase, by citizens of the United States and those who have declared their intention to become such, under regulations prescribed by law, and according to the local customs or rules of miners, in the several mining-districts, so far as the same are applicable and not inconsistent with the laws of the United States.

The laws were written for all. Nothing in there about small scale, full time, profit or weekends don't count. All men have a right to pursue the mineral grant as long as they obey the law.

You are wrong, I do make a living from mining. Full time. I don't trespass, I don't poach, I don't higrade and I don't steal. It may be a little harder that way but I can sleep at night and I don't feel obligated to make excuses for what I do for a living. I do care what my fellow miners think of me and how I conduct myself.

I work with people every day who make their living mining. There are more than 250,000 full time miners in this country. I don't think the ones who only work part time are any less miners.

I am surprised at what you have written above. I guess you and I are really very different Victor. I hope after some time for reflection you will reconsider your feelings about your fellow miners.

I wish you well. You seem to have some adversity around you. I hope you overcome that adversity and come out a better wiser man.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Written in a different time... No doubt back when that was written men were staking claims for the sake of recreation or as club properties.. Different days today and unfortunately people fail to realize this. And are ignorant of the actual intention of these laws and rights and ignorant of the times in which these laws are written.. The simple truth is society is ever changing and the laws are being misused and misinterpreted. The laws need to be re written to protect a citizen who actually wishes to make a living prospecting/mining.. any other intention such as recreation mining should be conducted on state parks and designated recreational land. But I suspect its too late..

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
MM, your lack of respect for some people ("weekend warriors") is just an excuse for the alleged trespassing. If men don't respect someone, typically they don't respect their property.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not about different times Victor. It's about the law.

Was it a different time when the Kinder family was granted the mineral patent that made the lower drainage of Canyon Creek their private property?
That was 1879.

Was it a different time when the EILEEN placer claim was made on Mineral Bar? That was 1960.

I could go on but I hope you are getting my point. You have admitted here on this forum to prospecting both of those properties and several more. Why are you surprised that mining claim and private property owners see you as a trespasser?

The law does not require a claim owner or a patented property owner to mine their ground. That has been true since 1866 and in many cases before then. It's not up to you to decide what claims are valid or which private property to respect. There is no provision in any law that allows you to work another man's claim because it isn't posted or someone isn't there mining and keeping you out.

No matter how you wish the claim and private property system worked in relation to prospectors the reality is these people may have a valid complaint. Why not address that with them as Goldwasher suggested? Let them know your thoughts on prospecting. They might disagree with you or they might just understand your point of view and give you permission to prospect their properties.

I've had great luck with just asking if I can prospect someone's claim or private property. You may have more of a headwind going into the discussion but if you are respectful and willing to consider their position you could make this a win - win situation. In my experience just ignoring this situation might just make it worse, it certainly isn't going to make it better.

I hope you resolve this to everyone's satisfaction. You have provided inspiration to many prospectors with your wonderful videos. I hope you can show those you've inspired before how well Victor Marshall the man deals with his fellow miners.

Just one man's opinion.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure get riled up....I only commented on basic "public " knowledge that if a fella who reads threads may have picked up over time. Was not an attack for sure .I guess I did want you to talk about it more and it seems to have worked. I regret that I am part of the group of prospectors you dislike so much. And feel you need to move to their appropriate areas .Since they do not possess the proper characteristics to properly utilize its resources. I am actually kind of ashamed at myself and my friends now. I hope we can still get along when we get to the reservation.

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MM, your lack of respect for some people ("weekend warriors") is just an excuse for the alleged trespassing. If men don't respect someone, typically they don't respect their property.
I do my best to encourage individuals and try to help people.. All at my exspense. I not only talk but I also do my best to show actual results! and I hope people learn something.. Since I started posting my vids I have had to deal with all sorts of crap.. People trying to find my work areas/working them. People making accusations. People making fun of me all kinds of horrible stuff. even with all this I still continue to make my vids and try to help people become succesfull at prospecting.. I share freely with all.. Though I admit I hope that more people take up small scale mining for a living and become succsefull at it. This is me doing my part. And believe me people make this task very trying.. I stand to make no money nor do I profit in anyway by any of this.. Though I doubt same could be said for the clubs..

That GPAA email was done in very poor taste.. Though we have Law enforcement agencies the Gpaa decided that slander and such was the proper course.. The simple fact is that if they had any evidence or any truth whatsoever one would think that they would use Law enforcement. This is not the case!!! Instead they chose to do this email.. The plain fact is that people gossip and talk and make accusations without any evidence and the fact that they chose to take it a step farther and seek some sort Vigalante Justice against me is appalling!! The fact that they requested people to find me and moniter my activities is disturbing to say the least.. The simple fact is that there are proper law enforcement agencies to address these issues.. But when these agencies failed to see ant validity in their accusations they took it upon thierselves to pursue this matter in a most disgraceful way!! I have strong beliefs when it comes to small scale mining and though we may not agree I have never ever held a person belief against them. My motives are to help encourage individuals in the art of prospecting.. Not some but all.. We do not all have to agree on everything. It seems that some of the very men here are helping put fire to this. How I wish these people could have been men and contacted me. An easy thing to do! Anyway I wish all well and hope everyone is getting some gold..

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Figured I would keep everyone informed on the truth as it seems some people here like to make stuff up!!

james hutchings

to egpaa
Recently, I sent out an inquiry regarding a Victor Marshall! As I hoped, someone who knew him forwarded my concerns to him. Victor has contacted me. He has relayed to me, his side of a couple of stories that have been told. There appears to be some merit to his side of the story, and I have to give him the benefit of the doubt as he makes some very good points.

He assured me that there has been no removal of gold from the claims in the videos. While claims like mine, may have been filmed, any scenes of gold mining or clean up are not related and that those that do, are products of video editing.

I have offered him my telephone number and asked him to stay in touch with me by email. If there are any additional concerns, I promised him that he and I could work them out.

He assures me that he has not been engaged in any claim trespass for the purpose of removal of values. So, there you have it!

As I stated to him, we have so many outside forces working us over, we need to not work each other over! We need to concentrate on those trying to destroy us from without!

He does have some pretty good videos of some areas most of us are unfamiliar with. While, they could use a little polish and shine, they are interesting!

MY RESPONSE...
Mr Hutchings

Unfortunatly I receive no relief from your follow up mass email... I have no Idea how many people you sent out your email to and I respectfully request that I be told how many individulas received your email. I have been contacted from people all over the united states telling me about your email!! This is disturbing..Also I am amazed how many people can contact me though you claimed to have difficulty. I find this unsettling ..The facts are that you had no proof of your accusations and were just relying on heresay. The fact is that you are wrong on all your accusations and mislead people. You stated multiple untrue statements ..The fact that you asked people to pursue me and monitor my activities is equally disturbing as you can not possibly know the intentions of all the people you sent this email too..The fact that you gave a description of my vehicle is of great concern. Their are appropriate Law Enforcement agencies you could used at your disposal. But undoubtly due to any lack of evidence and truth to your statements I suspect that was not a realistic option.. I have no ties nor do I wish to have any with the GPAA. It is of my belief that you have used your position inappropriately.. The proper course of action would have been contacting local authorities or myself but you chose to soil my reputation and seek some kind Vigalante Justice.. I respectfully request a Written Public apology from the GPAA and further more ask that you ask people not to seek me out. I am disgusted by the way the GPAA has dealt with this Gossip. Sir I hope you will you will do the right thing and we can put this behind us. Though if you fail to act I will be forced to take more formal action!! and take my complaints thru the ranks of the GPAA. until I feel this is resolved..

Sincerely

Victor Marshall

P.S. not only has your email done me harm it has caused others harm.. You stated I had a large encampment ect ect.. Though you have no facts you chose to gossip. The truth is the man who is responsible for that camp asked me to shoot a video for his sister could see his worksite. other then knowing him thru brief encounters I have no ties to that area. But your thoughtlessness has now put a target on that man.. In your follow up email you stated....

"As I stated to him, we have so many outside forces working us over, we need to not work each other over! We need to concentrate on those destroying us without.".

Maybe you should practice what you preach!

It is of my belief and a many other actual small scale prospectors who actually make a living by gold feel that the biggest threat is from withen!! Clubs like the gpaa have misused and undermined small scale mining. They turned an honest trade into a reacreational activity.

Anyway I hope this can be resolved quickly!!

MinerMike

Greenie
Oct 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always a shame when people feel the need to pass along bogus information without first verifying it. I was a gpaa member once but not anymore.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sad to see this old thread brought back to the top again.
beatdeadhorse.gif~original

Marshall has exonerated himself quite well, made peace with those
wrongly accusing him, and life has gone on just fine since.

Thread...return to the dungeon from whence you came.
kicked-out.jpg~original

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I seriously doubt that this issue is over! I say this, as I would imagine that there are many folks that received the email from James Hutchings but have not seen or read the followup email. Therefore, there could be some folks out there actively looking for Victor as well as the guy that has or had the camp and if they do any harm to either of these folks, then Mr. Hutchings and the GPAA will be up Shiite Creek without a paddle. Since he represents the GPAA and he put the target on both of these gentleman's backs, I believe he and the GPAA can be held Criminal Negligent for whatever harm might befall either of them.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread