Prospecting in Big Sky, Mt

idahogoldhunter

Greenie
Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! I have been addicted to this forum for years and am now finally getting out there to test test test. I am in Big Sky, Montana right now but will be moving to Coeur d Alene, Id in a few days. I know there is gold in Idaho and I suspect its also around Big Sky. There is not a ton of info about gold in this specific area ie. Gallatin County, but I have heard that placer gold has been found on the West fork of the Gallatin River. I have been testing sites on gravel bars at sharp turns in the river but so far no color. Lots of small gems and buck shot though! Also a little black sand in every test pan. There is even a spot where the black sand collects on the surface amongst dense reddish gravel/ clay. I dug down a ways and it stays that way into the water table as far as I can extract material. Didn't find any color but lots of black sand. My tests weren't as thorough as they could have been. I understand I'm probably on a wild goose chase in Big Sky but ya know? The chase is sometimes my favorit because my fever kicked in and sometimes i get a little frantic. I am curious if anyone here has panned around big sky. I sometimes gain access to the upper west fork of the gallatin. Can't wait to pull a bucket out for testing.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20140417_154032_337.jpg
    IMG_20140417_154032_337.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20140417_154028_146.jpg
    IMG_20140417_154028_146.jpg
    958.4 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
research is the key to success. 90% research, 10% searching =100% fun.
usgs has good info, mindat, historic maps, land use maps, ect.... good luck

OP
OP
I

idahogoldhunter

Greenie
Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done mad research. Fact is there is not a lot of info on this area. Was hoping to find kindred spirits up in these hills. Lots of rocks and geography to check out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions