Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree37Likes
  • 7 Post By DizzyDigger
  • 4 Post By Bejay
  • 8 Post By Aufisher
  • 5 Post By Hoser John
  • 3 Post By goldenIrishman
  • 6 Post By DizzyDigger
  • 2 Post By Fullpan
  • 2 Post By goldenmojo

Thread: Fish returning after landslide - Fish Bio gets it right

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5637 times
    Prospecting

Cool Fish returning after landslide - Fish Bio gets it right

The anti-dredging organizations (Trout Unlimited, etc.) must
    be feeling some heartburn after reading this article in a local
    paper:

Biologists monitoring fish runs after Oso slide

Best quote of the article from a local fish biologist:

"Fish have evolved over thousands of years to deal with slides, heavy sediment
    and other harsh conditions, Griffith said. "They're resilient enough that they're
    coming back as they have for thousands of years."

Any of you involved with PLP (or other organizations) that are making
    a legal stand for miners might want to pass this along to the group.
    What these fish biologists are finding is that the steelhead are still
    making their way up the river, working around the muddy water
    and spawning.

This was a massive landslide that not only took too many lives,
    it also completely blocked the Stillaguamish River for a lengthy
    distance. The river re-cut it's channel, and made a couple of
    new ones, and the spring steelhead are returning right on time.

This blows the hell out of the "Fish not Gold" argument that the
    miniscule amount of sediment moved by a 4" dredge is causing
    fish not to spawn.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2302 times
    Prospecting
    After the Mt Saint Helens eruption all the fish biologist screamed that the salmon/steelhead runs were destroyed. The runs immediately returned in tremendous fervor.

On the Siuslaw River in Oregon a tremendous forest fire laid open the whole drainage to a barren nothing on extremely steep slopes that caused extensive massive landslides. After that late 1800's fire the Siuslaw became second only to the Columbia River for the amount of commercial salmon produced....and major canneries immediately sprung up. The Siuslaw is a small drainage system. BUT it was second only to the Columbia River for the amount of salmon produced.

Such instances actually benefit fish and create structure. The structure and distribution of new sediments/gravels/cobbles/rocks/boulders is a necessary evil. Unfortunately the "Greenie" "Preservists" only look at the esthetic issue...and since it looks bad it must be bad. Pure ignorance of the real facts and nature.

Just think of the amount of historic mining activity on the Yukon. And yet the Yukon River is currently a world class salmon river.

Good info. Unfortunately the anti mining crowd fails to face facts and continue to ignore the benefits of the erosionary aspects of geology/hydrology.

Bejay

May 2013
    The Golden State
    Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
    4837 times
    Prospecting
    You nailed it. I see happy healthy fish all day. The fish appreciate the food and habitat that comes with our coexistence. My three passions are hydrology, fish and gold. Those who disagree with me are brainwashed uneducated fools!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140323_120912.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	984706
    Last edited by Aufisher; Apr 26, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
    I am a teacher, hydrologist, biologist and a prospector.

us
    Dean

Apr 2013
    Gilbert AZ
    Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
    37 times
    Prospecting
    They wont admit to this. because that was "natural occurrence"

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6643 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    After the Cantara spill on the Sacramento CDFG spent over $57,000,000 in 10 years of intensive studies(BS) and the worst they could come up with is" The fish are getting too much food and are not healthy because they are too fat" sic sic bs. They ran tests behind our 4-10" dredges on both river and creeks as I ramrodded through 3 specials for friends and no damage nowhere to nuttn' Fun fact ,huge flood 4 years later killed over 60% of the fish yet again and guess what 4 years later they blessed the river as"pristine and back to health better than ever-but Stopher still lied and NO DREDGING NEVER NOWHERE ,even the feeder streams. Lies,smoke,mirrors and bs all-John

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2302 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Frghtshkr View Post
    They wont admit to this. because that was "natural occurrence"
    You hit the nail on the head! In Oregon they tried to use the fish issue to remove dams....saying the dams were harming the fish runs. In those cases; where any inconvenience was found to exist for "fish passage", the issue could be resolved with new or modification and improvement in fish ladders. So then the argument became "Let the Rivers Run Free".

Man is considered to be an intrusional vermin on the earth by the "greenies". Only "natural happenings" are considered AOK.

Bejay

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6153 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Even more proof that Mother Nature knows what she is doing. She's had a lot of practice over the years and for men to think that they can do a better job of taking care of things has got to be the height of arrogance.
    Last edited by goldenIrishman; Apr 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo repair
    DizzyDigger, Aufisher and Bejay like this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5637 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenIrishman View Post
    Even more proof that Mother Nature knows what she is doing. She's
    had a lot of practice over the years and for men to think that they can do a better job of taking care of things
    has got to be the height of arrogance.
    100% agreed.

Carlin said it best: (Caution...contains adult language)

Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    PRICELESS ! thanks Dizzy, you made my day
    Bejay and Aufisher like this.

us
    Jul 2011
    169 times
    Do greenies think they are going to live forever? Live life, don't worry about it.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4688 times
    Prospecting
    Dizzy That is one of the best things I have ever seen. That should be the go to exhibit in any lawsuit about toads, frogs, owls........Thanks for posting it.
    DizzyDigger and Aufisher like this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links