How to Determine AreasWithdrawn From Mineral Entry?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are still in Arizona the only areas to prospect are federal public lands. You can check the status of those public lands by getting the Master Title Plat (MTP).

In Arizona, and most of the west, those can be found at the General Land Office. Look in the Land Status Records section and choose Master Title Plats from the dropdown list at the bottom of the form. You will need to fill in the State, Meridian, Township and Range as well.

It's a good idea to get the Supplemental MTP while you are there too. Neither the MTP nor the Supplemental MTP are definitive official records but they are the plats that the land management agencies work from. The Supplemental MTP is local to the district management and may be full of BS but it's better to know what the local manager thinks is the status before you proceed. Each withdrawal or land decision has a number with a reference to the actual Congressional Act, Executive Order (EO) or Public Land Order (PLO). Look those up and you will have the final answer as to just what is withdrawn, under what authority and for how long.

If you are in Washington, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming or one of the States not on that Land Status list we'll have to have another approach to those MTPs.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
SLNugget

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay, thanks for the speedy reply. We prospectors/miners can always depend on your knowledge and help. I am still in Mtown for now. My partner is being transferred to NC next month. I am over digging partial grams and am looking for richer ground. Just like everyone else I'm sure. I may end up in WA in a month or two but will be back for sure. Thanks again and I hope you are having fun and finding the gold. Say hello to your lovely bride for me.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In calif the FS maps on land stewardship, 7.5 or 15 mn., are by far the most accurate as BLM maps old,outdated and nothing under 80 acres noted. Much more current than USGS also and cheaper too-John

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay, thanks for the speedy reply. We prospectors/miners can always depend on your knowledge and help. I am still in Mtown for now. My partner is being transferred to NC next month. I am over digging partial grams and am looking for richer ground. Just like everyone else I'm sure. I may end up in WA in a month or two but will be back for sure. Thanks again and I hope you are having fun and finding the gold. Say hello to your lovely bride for me.

Sorry to hear Chrisski is moving. Will you still be sharing the Pick? Ruby says hi while she is blushing. :laughing7:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, I never have been able to find an internet link to actual Land Stewardship Maps from the Forest Service. As I recall, you said a while back, some were produced at their Redding, Ca. cartography office. I wasn't able to get a link to that office either. Could you post a picture of one of these maps? Maybe the title or legend portion?

Thanks John,
Mike

OP
OP
SLNugget

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear Chrisski is moving. Will you still be sharing the Pick? Ruby says hi while she is blushing. :laughing7:

I wish he was not leaving too. Sharing the Pick? I am sure Ruby has heard that many times before.
Are you still working on the "hill"? I am researching claims out there. Looks like Bubba snagged a good spot.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish he was not leaving too. Sharing the Pick? I am sure Ruby has heard that many times before.
Are you still working on the "hill"? I am researching claims out there. Looks like Bubba snagged a good spot.

Went to the "hill" last week for business but probably won't be going out there much after this week. Bubba did get a nice new one. Why not ask him if you can work it? They are finding some pretty good stuff there and he's miner friendly. It's a great spot for camping too. One of our miners will probably be prospecting near there in a few weeks. Bubba offered to hook up the well and fill the water tanks so if he lets you work it you could avoid hauling. Lots of trees down there too, coolest part of the creek.

Ruby has a custom Hermit pick. She doesn't let me use it. :BangHead:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
In the west there are many BLM land that are withdrawals for power...that one is easy to get around...Art

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bureau of Reclamation lands are the tracts noted for power withdrawal. Go to any forest circus main district office and easily obtainable. John--with all the danger on the net ain't doing much as IE screwed and even my Google Chrome actn' up-at a later time when mess fixed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread