looking for guidance

DeadlyRum

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone I am new to prospecting and not real clear on safe open places to pan/sluice at I would be open to try anywhere in the Ca mother lode I haven't done a lot because know/finding rules on prospecting has been difficult this being said I dont really want to join a club just yet untell I know more about the prospecting community I was hoping mybe someone would offer to show me the ropes or point me in the right direction thanks for reading my post and Most homes valued at over $1,000,000 have a library. That should tell us something.

Upvote 0

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you are going to pan? If so, have you ever panned for gold before? If not, I HIGHLY suggest going to a local club meeting and have someone show you how to properly do it. I bought pans and had never panned for gold before, and went to a local GPAA club meeting and had some of the members show me the proper way. I can tell you I would have never figured it out on my own without their help for sure. I learned a ton in the hour that I was out picking their brains, more so than if I had tried for weeks on end on my own.

OP
OP
D

DeadlyRum

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I do know how to pan I had a friend show me how on a camping trip we took not that long ago thats what stuck up my interest in prospecting and thanks for the fast replies

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Panning is easy. Knowing what gold looks like in a pan is very hard for some people.

How to Pan for Gold

You can pan for gold with a bowl, plate, pots and pans...just make sure it has NO OIL and you don't touch the surface or water with your hands as you gold can float.
You can catch gold with anything from twigs to dog poop as gold is so heavy.
Learn that fact FIRST.
You can have a million dollar operation but if you don't know that gold is heavy, the path it takes in rivers or streams, your just pissing your money away.
Better to give it to the needy.

Gold Mining School - Gold Prospector Training

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a ton of great posts here. You can learn about any aspect of prospecting, mining, etc. I'm stuck in a non gold state and everything I've learned, I've learned here. I read here every day. So when I get to the point of heading to the gold areas, I'll at least have a clue.

Doc at goldhog has some great videos too.

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
You may not have gold or much of it but you do have value able meteorites and some can be worth more than gold.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Deadlyrum and welcome to the forum.
You will be much better off if you do join a club right off. They will be the ones who take you under their wing and show you the ropes and provide the guidance you are looking for.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may not have gold or much of it but you do have value able meteorites and some can be worth more than gold.
I see you are in La Plata Marmentman, beautiful country great people. :thumbsup:

Meteorites can be very valuable. A Glorietta Pallasite is worth quite a bit more than gold. It's also much much rarer.

Most common meteorites aren't worth much on the market. Big size or rarity are the key, most meteorites found are neither.

Heavy Pans

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
True, I would love to find one of those meteorites with the green stones way cool, Martian emeralds! Not sure all the types, but like you said some are more then gold. And yes in La Plata nm, 45min from awesome gold country, if you know where to look. Where are you from clay digging?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I travel the southwest. New Mexico is my favorite State to explore, I have spent many years there. The people, the food and the land are incredible. I have many friends there and many fine adventures. Despite my desire to explore and experience new things I do consider it home.

So the question remains Marmentman... Red or Green? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread