Bazooka sluice with ocean beach sands

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone tried using their bazooka or a home made fluid bed sluice on ocean beach creeks using only the fine beach sand as feed material? The vast majority of these sands are minus 100 mesh and the gold is mostly much smaller. I know of all the other recovery options and I am just wondering about bazooka or fluid bed results.

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like most use the gold cube. The Zook will catch pretty darn small gold though...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you run just heavy beach sand, the Bazooka catches the +100 gold very, very well. However it spits out a fair amount of the -100 gold. To fix this, you have to preload the fluid bed with more normal gravel. That's based on some testing I've done, your results may vary.

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KevinInColorado - I saw your post about the beach sand test and had previously wondered about what influence larger material has in fine gold capture. I had surmised that the larger cobbles might work similarly to that of ragging in a gold jig* and your test may have proved that. What size material did you pre-load with and was much of it ejected?
*Mineral Processing Design - Google Books

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
KevinInColorado - I saw your post about the beach sand test and had previously wondered about what influence larger material has in fine gold capture. I had surmised that the larger cobbles might work similarly to that of ragging in a gold jig* and your test may have proved that. What size material did you pre-load with and was much of it ejected? *Mineral Processing Design - Google Books
Good questions! I preloaded with quartz/granite type gravel that was just under 1/4". I agree that those gravel pieces act a lot like ragging in a jig. There was some ejected as the heavy beach sand replaced it in the trap. Less than 1/2 cup ejected I would say but of course I only ran about a gallon of beach sand.

I too feel large cobbles act like riffles in the creek. In my favorite creek, the spots with big cobbles are exactly where the gold accumulates! Part of it of course is the simple fact that larger cobbles and gold are both dropped by big storms (the creek rises 8 feet in a really big storm!) in the same spots but my theory is that smaller storms which move flood gold will drop it due to the turbulence from those large cobbles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good questions! I preloaded with quartz/granite type gravel that was just under 1/4". I agree that those gravel pieces act a lot like ragging in a jig. There was some ejected as the heavy beach sand replaced it in the trap. Less than 1/2 cup ejected I would say but of course I only ran about a gallon of beach sand.

I too feel large cobbles act like riffles in the creek. In my favorite creek, the spots with big cobbles are exactly where the gold accumulates! Part of it of course is the simple fact that larger cobbles and gold are both dropped by big storms (the creek rises 8 feet in a really big storm!) in the same spots but my theory is that smaller storms which move flood gold will drop it due to the turbulence from those large cobbles.
It seems to me that one could load large enough stones to create a false cobbled bottom/ragging that rests above the bed of the box on and between the tubes. This may serve the same purpose as smaller stones and they would be less likely to be ejected while the smaller material, sand in my case, still could be. In any case, loading of the box with heavy black sands may be problematic and thus effect capture efficiency.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems to me that one could load large enough stones to create a false cobbled bottom/ragging that rests above the bed of the box on and between the tubes. This may serve the same purpose as smaller stones and they would be less likely to be ejected while the smaller material, sand in my case, still could be.
give it a try! My test did still lose a small amount of -200 gold so there is still room for improvement if you face really fine gold!

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you run just heavy beach sand, the Bazooka catches the +100 gold very, very well. However it spits out a fair amount of the -100 gold. To fix this, you have to preload the fluid bed with more normal gravel. That's based on some testing I've done, your results may vary.
Hey Kevin,
I have been thinking about the addition of pebbles in the box and whether it then actually captured more gold or if maybe it just helped to create a super concentrate that, when panned, would have more gold per tablespoon (I am assuming that you panned in small quantities to see gold capture) than what you were finding in the other test run without the pebbles. When I think about, it is obvious that pebble addition substantially decreases the volume that is available for black sand/gold capture which then could lead to super concentration. This then could lead to a further dilution of gold per tablespoon in the tails with the addition of more black sands. Whether it captures
more gold or super concentrates the thought of less panning for recovery is a plus. Any thoughts?
arizau

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying you found gold in sand?

Of course! Gold is everywhere if you look small enough. Heck, you can even find it in the right bag of playground sand from home depot.

;)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin, I have been thinking about the addition of pebbles in the box and whether it then actually captured more gold or if maybe it just helped to create a super concentrate that, when panned, would have more gold per tablespoon (I am assuming that you panned in small quantities to see gold capture) than what you were finding in the other test run without the pebbles. When I think about, it is obvious that pebble addition substantially decreases the volume that is available for black sand/gold capture which then could lead to super concentration. This then could lead to a further dilution of gold per tablespoon in the tails with the addition of more black sands. Whether it captures more gold or super concentrates the thought of less panning for recovery is a plus. Any thoughts? arizau
It did actually retain more gold. I was capturing the tailings each way and comparing the two runs of the same material. For further progress in retaining super fines I think you'd have to reduce the pressure in the fluidization tubes.

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It did actually retain more gold. I was capturing the tailings each way and comparing the two runs of the same material. For further progress in retaining super fines I think you'd have to reduce the pressure in the fluidization tubes.
Thanks. Now back to the drawing board errr I mean rock sorting.

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Now back to the drawing board errr I mean rock sorting.

I'm just dumping some thoughts in here from our fluid bed testing last year.
I'm tired........ so excuse me if it doesn't make total sense.
I think the first step is to understand the CAUSES... then come up with your cure.
A big part of the issue with black beach sands is "hydraulic equivalence".
Understand THAT... and you'll better understand your causes.
In a nutshell............
Fine black sands and the gold are similar in size.
However, much of the black sands are spheres and much of the gold is flat.
(I'll try and find some pics from under the microscope.)
So, even though the gold has a higher specific density, they are still "hydraulically equivalent".
This often causes both losses and impaction on any type of water based separation method.
Adding the pebbles in the right size based on the pressure of the bed can help.
The volume they take up often helps keep the bed fluidized somewhat and keeps it moving.
Still... losses are always higher when running this type of material.
You can also email Mike at the gold cube.
His black sands testing on the cube and other devices was very good.
20 - 30 % losses are not unusual when doing very controlled and measured testings.
Doc

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm just dumping some thoughts in here from our fluid bed testing last year.
I'm tired........ so excuse me if it doesn't make total sense.
I think the first step is to understand the CAUSES... then come up with your cure.
A big part of the issue with black beach sands is "hydraulic equivalence".
Understand THAT... and you'll better understand your causes.
In a nutshell............
Fine black sands and the gold are similar in size.
However, much of the black sands are spheres and much of the gold is flat.
(I'll try and find some pics from under the microscope.)
So, even though the gold has a higher specific density, they are still "hydraulically equivalent".
This often causes both losses and impaction on any type of water based separation method.
Adding the pebbles in the right size based on the pressure of the bed can help.
The volume they take up often helps keep the bed fluidized somewhat and keeps it moving.
Still... losses are always higher when running this type of material.
You can also email Mike at the gold cube.
His black sands testing on the cube and other devices was very good.
20 - 30 % losses are not unusual when doing very controlled and measured testings.
Doc
Doc,
Thanks for your input and the email tip. I've watched your video/explanations on hyd. equiv. and from them know that is the probable cause of losses of fine gold particles in any capture device. I highly recommend to all that they watch your videos particularly the instructive ones such as the one above, explanations about surface tension and your ones on panning techniques. One of them about your Gold Cyclone also addresses the fine gold/black sand hyd. equiv. issue mentioned above if I recall correctly.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad they helped.
I think understanding H.E. is one of the most important things a prospector / miner can do.
Not only in recovery, but also locating gold.
Cheers up.
Time to rest up.
:)

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice!!! Wouldn't have thought of doing that! Just bought a bazooka! That info may become very useful

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I bought the s1 finishing/concentrating sluice with the vibrating hopper for the black beach sand where I live. It works quite well and no loss. Now if the gold was only a bit more chunky it might pay for itself;-)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140811_165059.png
    ForumRunner_20140811_165059.png
    288.6 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20140811_165326.png
    ForumRunner_20140811_165326.png
    305.1 KB · Views: 102

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread