To all independent mining clubs and GPAA Chapters

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the president of the GPAA chapter in Deadwood South Dakota. We were approached by a non-profit organization called The Northern Hills Recreation Board, who puts on events to raise money for Youth services in the area, to help them with their annual event called Wild Bill Days. The event is called so to honor Wild Bill Hickok who was murdered in Deadwood Dakota Territory on August 2, 1876.
The board wishes to make the event more prospector/mining oriented since that is what built Deadwood and the Black Hills are.One of the things they asked us to do was to come up with some events to do just this and to involve the tourist more. One thing will be to have panning demos at the Homestake Mining Meuseum. We will have sluiceing on main street using drop riffle sluices based on those built by Astorbouncer's designs. There is a possability that for a fee to be determined a possible panning contest to be held in Whitewood Creek. This creek has not been worked since Homestake got all mineral rights to it in 1878. Details are still being worked out on most of these events. Then there is what the title of this thread is about. We will be putting on a miners challenge similar to the one put on the Gold Rush show. It will consist of 5 man teams. The entrance fee hasn't been decided yet but will be very soon. The prize money will most likely be determined by the number of teams entering the event.
All of the Wild Bill Days events are being sponsored by the Lead/Deadwood Chambers of Commerace, Homestake/Berrit Minning, and Wharf Minning. If you have an interest please send me a pm with your club or chapter contact info and I will send you more details. Those of you who aren't officers in your club or chapter please bring this up to your clubs for discussion. As I said this is a non-profit annual charity event.
The Wild Bill Days take place June 13-14 2014.

Thank You

BH Prospector

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great PR. We raised cash for new playground in French Gulch, rebuilt the Camden house historical grounds,raised cash for KIXE public television, Caldwell museum and on and on. Panning demos at elementary schools by the 100s over the years,Youth Leadership programs,Make a Wish Foundation,YMCA, Boy Scouts..list is endless-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread