Siskiyou County Dredging fate 90 days away...

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of eyes will be on this decision that will affect a lot of claims and miners in Nor Cal.

Gold finders watch for court ruling

Written by Alex MacLean, The Union Democrat May 06, 2014 08:00 pm

A San Bernardino County Superior Court judge is expected to rule within the next 90 days on a lawsuit over a statewide ban on motorized suction dredging by gold prospectors.

The decision could affect hobbyists throughout the state, including dozens of people who work small claims in the Mother Lode.

“It wasn’t clear which way the judge was inclined to go, so we will see how he rules,” said Jonathan Evans, an attorney for the Center for Biological Diversity and the Karuk Tribe, which are both pushing for tougher regulations on mechanical dredging.

The New 49’ers Inc., a group that owns eight mining claims in Siskiyou County, is suing the state over the ban and proposed restrictions. The group argues the moratorium has impacted people’s ability to effectively mine their claims.

Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
The decision WILL affect Miners! not (hobbyists) throughout the state, including thousands of people who work small claims in the Mother Lode.

Someone needs to SLAP Alex MacLean and wake him up.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He should do some investigating. The Judge ordered a settlement meeting on the 24th. If no agreement is reached, then actual court and decisions. Way longer than 90 days for the answer.

I personally do not want a settlement. I want all laws followed that are already in place.
I want all government personel trained by a proper authority on locatable claims versus leasable claims
I want all money on illegal cases returned to the states they were extorted from.

Why we are at sanction the BLM for going after the Boy Scout property in Texas. They have owned it since 1924 and now the BLM want to take 170 acres.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Note who he talked to: Jonathan Evans, an attorney for the Center for Biological Diversity and the Karuk Tribe.
Typical journalist.....doesn't know squat! Noticed the title of the paper and the name kind of makes a statement.
Plus notice he reported using the term "ban".......not "temporary moratorium". A BAN is a term implying no definite end. Which as pointed out by Clay is the "win" terminology awaiting the mining community if it utilizes the previous court rulings that a State can not dictate/ban a form of mining, when that method is the best method to effectively obtain the locatable mineral ("gold").

Ban.... verb \ˈban\

: to forbid people from using (something) : to say that something cannot be used or done
: to forbid (someone) from doing or being part of something

Full Definition of BAN

(transitive verb)

: to prohibit especially by legal means.... also : to prohibit the use of

Bejay

Last edited:

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
I wish we were treated like cigarettes. It is legal, but banned everywhere because of second hand smoke. They keep raising the taxes on them for their pockets or stupid programs, which keeps smoking legal. E- cigs' just put out a vapor which is safe, but they are trying to make illegal. Does this make any sense? This is how our government works, #$@^&%! Dredging is finding gold, paying the taxes for that which is sold, nobody is bothered. We will be fighting stupidity till the end!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will NOT change the new regs/seasons/restrictions though and no dredging as salmon habitat. Simply go to fish and wildlife and READ the regs.....absolutely horrendous--$1250+ f & w-2 from water quality board $600+-to dredge 2 weeks,3' from the bank,4" dredge,in a coastal range with no gold,sierras in the middle a winter as 95%+ closed,95%+ of the time. Get real as such a waste of a zillion dollars as what ya receive is NUTTN'-John

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
In the next 90 days an ad campaign supporting the use of gold dredges in this state. The benefits. The way this state is sending companies packing to Texas , N. Carolina, and such. We send $35 to lawyers to defend us but the average Joe doesn't know what is going on. There needs to be an ad campaign for dredging while this is going on. We need as many on our side as possible. $35 from all for TV ads in the biggest cities in the state could swing this. I believe we are in the drivers seat.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John I see you see the big picture. They try to ban by law then by regulation. It is a fatwa with them a holy war to end the evil of dredging. Only problem is they have their "facts" or carefully molded talking points which are not factual. I remember in high school we had a role playing game for a class about developing a large area of land. One of the problems was enviromental remediation and endangered species issues. The winning groups proposal for development had a report from their biologist that said that for some unforseen reason all endangered species had migrated out of the area of development. I think that winning group must be working for DFG or whatever their name is now.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seriously Win or lose... Small scale prospectors "LOSE"..If its a win it will be a win for Recreational mining. I suppose for the most part Small Scale prospecting is Extinct. Recreational mining is the truth of it. Oh well what can ya do.....

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Marketing is everything, preception is 90% of reality,,here is my argument,,as a society we need gold for our devices like phones and computers,,the greenies-everyone uses them,,in this country we live by laws that protect workers and the enviroment-at the moment they are too restrictive, the greenies need to wacth a few utube vids on where the gold in their phones ect. Comes from, " the price of gold" and" chinese mining in africa" are good ones to start with. Both show in detail the wholesale destruction of large areas of once productive forests, river systems and whole generations of people thru unregulated mining by companies that just dont care. Do the greenies think that our enviroment is more inportant than that of Columbia or Africa? Are they so racist that they think our children are more precious than the children of Africa? At the very least they are incredible hypocrites. We can mine here where it is proven we have little to no impact or we can supply the global market with almost none of this resource forcing gold to be produced with horrendous results in underdeveloped areas.
Its common sense. You can say greenies dont listen and dont care, but, i have been having some success using this argument with greenies i know.
Ask them if they think we are better than villigers in africa? Ask them if our enviroment is more important than Columbias enviroment? Ask them if they have a computer and where the gold in it came from? If they dont suppourt mining here under the protections of law then how do they justify their suppourt of the wholesale destruction of other lands and people? HYPOCRITES!!
This has worked for me i suggest you try it
We are in this fight until we give up! Speak your piece, let your opinion be known. We need to do a much better job of marketing our "clean gold" and put americans back to work doing it...get involved in electing politicians with a little common sense (rare breed) and educate them. Expose the wokoviromentalists for what they are,,,racists hypocrites robbing hard working taxpayers and con artists marketing themselves to "feel good green zombies"
What am i going to do? RAISE HELL legally and just mabey make a differance!!! What are you going to do?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread