goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again I've been asked to explain how to do the Shake & Bake process to recover fine gold. I figured I'd go ahead and just start a thread on it for a couple of reasons. First off this will make it easier for the new guys to find it with a simple search and secondly it will also give us all a place to discuss ways of improving this process and tailoring it to the materials found in your location.

As many of you know, I'm located in S.E. Arizona which is known for a wide variety of minerals. Gold, Copper, Silver as well as many different types of crystals. When they refer to "Highly Mineralized" soil around here, they're not kidding. It's because of this high mineral content that a lot of the gold ends up having what we call "Desert Varnish" covering a lot of the micro/micron sized gold which makes it impossible to see. It may be large enough to see without magnification, but if it's covered with these varnish deposits you stand a very good chance of tossing it out because you just can't recognize it as gold.

This is where the Shake & Bake (S&B) method of processing comes in. It will remove that pesky coating from your gold so you can see it for what it is. This is an inexpensive and yet very efficient way to get more gold out of your materials. The actual process is not hard to do if you follow a few simple steps as outlined below.

1: Classify: Screen your black sand materials down to uniform sizes. I like to take them down to a 20 mesh to start with. This just makes sure you don't have any really big chunks in the mix. Anything that's is larger than 20 mesh you can crush up and re-screen later.

2: Crush: Take the sands and crush/grind them as fine as you can get them. This will help to loosen up some of the coating and in some cases will remove it entirely. I've tried several methods of doing this step and all of them worked to some degree. Mortar and pestle will work but is a lot of work even on small batches. An electric coffee grinder will also do the job but the blades on them wear out VERY quickly. I have settled in at this time to using my ore crushing tube but that's just until I can get my hands on a small ball mill to try out. The impacting of the materials will do a couple of things for you. First of course is that it will turn your materials into dust in short order. Second is that because gold is very malleable small pieces will get flattened out so you can spot them in the pan easier. Once you have the materials crushed down to around 100 mesh you are ready to move onto the next step.

3: HEAT: There are any number of ways to do this step but let me say right off that it should always be done OUTDOORS!!! In many areas of the country, mercury was used to process fine gold. Many of the old timers were not what we would call safety minded when it came to using mercury. It's not uncommon in areas like the gold rush country of California (as well as many other places) to find bits of gold that have mercury on them. Mercury vapor is NASTY STUFF and will cause you all kinds of health problems. It doesn't take much of it for it to damage you beyond a doctors ability to fix ya up. As a trained lab tech, I'm used to handling some pretty nasty stuff and I treat mercury with kid gloves. (Ok... Safety Nazi speech over for now)

The object of this step is to heat your materials up to as high a temperature as possible. The hotter the better!!! What ever heat source you decide on using, just make sure it can be safely used outside. Camp stoves, hot plates, old BBQ setups etc can all be used. Even those charcoal starter chimney things can be used very effectively. As far as a container to hold your materials in goes, anything that will be able to handle the temperature of your heat source will do. I've used old metal gold pans as well as cast iron skillets. Gold pans will allow your materials to heat up faster, but skillets have a handle on them which comes in handy at times. It's also a nice thing to have one of those infrared laser thermometers on hand to check the temp of your materials. Just about any temp over 450 degrees F will do. Also remember that there are other things in some areas that give off some nasty stuff when heated. It's always a good idea to stay well up wind while everything is getting hot.

4: Quenching: This is where the magic takes place. By heating the materials up we have caused them to expand. By quenching them in cold liquid we shrink them back to normal size at a very rapid rate. The coating on the gold can not handle this rapid contraction ans will crack off of the gold at this stage. On your quenching bath you have a couple of options to choose from. Both require ice to cool them off but have different ways of applying the ice which I'll explain in a moment. Your first option is to use good old ice water. Nothing fancy here at all. A coffee can or small bucket will work fine. Just throw in a trays worth of ice to get it as cold as possible and your set. Another option for your quenching bath is to mix salt and vinegar together. Vinegar is a mild acid and by mixing salt with it you produce Sodium acetate. ( I add salt until the vinegar will not dissolve any more of it) The mixing should be done outdoors as it will give off a very small amount of chlorine gas. As long as you stay upwind, keep small children and animals away from the area it's not enough gas to really worry about. But here is where method of chilling your bath changes. You don't want melting ice to dilute the sodium acetate mix so you need to place the ice into a zip-lock style plastic bag. It will take a little longer to chill the bath but you won't dilute it. you can also chill it by placing the container into a larger container that is filled with ice.

Now that you've got your quenching bath all set up and your materials are nice and hot. it's time to put the safety glasses on and then pour the hot materials into the bath. It's going to go snap, crackle and pop like a bowl of Rice Crispies on steroids when you pour them in and that's what you want. If you're using a plain water quench, you can drain off the water and start panning the materials down in small batches. Sodium acetate users can allow the mixture to sit over night if they wish as the SA mix will also clean the gold very well.

5: Clean up: Now that everything has been processed with heat and cold you can start cleaning your materials up in what ever way you see fit. If you have access to a Miller table that's great as the fine texture of the materials will work very well with that type of setup. If you're panning it down, keep it to small amounts at a time. Do your best panning, tap the pan, swirl the water etc. As fine as the gold in these materials is, I STRONGLY suggest that you use a surfactant like jet-dri or regular dish soap in your panning water to keep the fine gold from floating on the surface. Once you've gotten the gold separated to one side you can suck it right up. I like to use a pipette for this stage because it won't suck up massive amounts of black sands as well as your gold.

This is a very effective method of getting a good portion of that super fine gold that you may have been missing out of your materials. There are other methods that will allow you to get even more gold out, but they require using some dangerous materials like Mercury, Cyanide or Aqua Regina and should not be tried without proper training in the handling of these materials as well as a full on lab setup and safety gear which most people just don't have sitting around the shop.

G.I.

Upvote 0

distribuidorUSA

Dec 11, 2012
Strathmore Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Goldenirish.thank you for this wonderful info.it's really appreciated.I have a question for you.I posted on this site about a creek that's full of BS.the creek runs in the middle of a magnetite-hematite deposit.I found this creek a long time ago but I wasn't prospecting that day I was treasure hunting and didn't take samples.last year I payed two fellows to bring me a few pounds of sand from the creek.when I got the material I panned down without classifying it down.I got around 100 grs of concentrate.there wasn't any visible gold in it but looking through a 15x magnifying glass I saw lots of shining yellow particles.they shine in the shadow so I'm confident is gold.my question is.do you think I should go and do a bigger sampling and some shake and bake?.the creek is hard to reach and got claimed last year but I can get permission from the claim owners to do some prospecting in the area.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd just get the black sand assayed. I have done a few fire assays of black sand and every time there was no gold. I'm not saying there is no gold in black sands, as the gold could be stained by magnese and very well be black.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Goldenirish.thank you for this wonderful info.it's really appreciated.I have a question for you.I posted on this site about a creek that's full of BS.the creek runs in the middle of a magnetite-hematite deposit.I found this creek a long time ago but I wasn't prospecting that day I was treasure hunting and didn't take samples.last year I payed two fellows to bring me a few pounds of sand from the creek.when I got the material I panned down without classifying it down.I got around 100 grs of concentrate.there wasn't any visible gold in it but looking through a 15x magnifying glass I saw lots of shining yellow particles.they shine in the shadow so I'm confident is gold.my question is.do you think I should go and do a bigger sampling and some shake and bake?.the creek is hard to reach and got claimed last year but I can get permission from the claim owners to do some prospecting in the area.

I'd check it out. If you can still get in there and get some good size samples I'd Run them using the Salt & Vinegar quench. Crush and classify to -100 mesh, heat them up and quench in the S&V mix. When heating get them as hot as possible. I consider 450 Degrees to be the minimum temp but as long as nothing is melting on ya take them higher.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 992148

View attachment 992149

View attachment 992152

View attachment 992150

View attachment 992153

View attachment 992157

View attachment 992156

The base is 1" steel. The pipe is 3" outer diameter. The pipe is 17" tall and the crusher is a old scrap truck axle with the wheel flange ground off to fit the pipe. Put the ore in the pipe and pound with the axle. Rudimentary, but it works!
Just a little personal trivia:
My father described, almost exactly,this configuration over 45 years ago when I was first getting into prospecting and was building a rocker box. He worked the mines in the Mother Lode area of Nevada City/Grass Valley just before WWII and knew of other miners that were high grading (stealing) ore from the mines they worked in and doing this at home. He said that one of them even had a cabin or a shed that was built with a small creek flowing through it so he could crush and pan without anyone being able to observe and report him to the company. High graders were fired and sometimes charged with theft. The mines had trusted "company men" who did all of the mining and mucking in known areas of high grade ore to prevent theft but other lower grade areas must have been tempting and exploited too.

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd just get the black sand assayed. I have done a few fire assays of black sand and every time there was no gold. I'm not saying there is no gold in black sands, as the gold could be stained by magnese and very well be black.
Glad you didn't say there is no gold in black sands. Here is my largest piece to date. IMG_447472756197708.jpeg

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More Gold lurking in black sand IMG_444003345375761.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread