goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again I've been asked to explain how to do the Shake & Bake process to recover fine gold. I figured I'd go ahead and just start a thread on it for a couple of reasons. First off this will make it easier for the new guys to find it with a simple search and secondly it will also give us all a place to discuss ways of improving this process and tailoring it to the materials found in your location.

As many of you know, I'm located in S.E. Arizona which is known for a wide variety of minerals. Gold, Copper, Silver as well as many different types of crystals. When they refer to "Highly Mineralized" soil around here, they're not kidding. It's because of this high mineral content that a lot of the gold ends up having what we call "Desert Varnish" covering a lot of the micro/micron sized gold which makes it impossible to see. It may be large enough to see without magnification, but if it's covered with these varnish deposits you stand a very good chance of tossing it out because you just can't recognize it as gold.

This is where the Shake & Bake (S&B) method of processing comes in. It will remove that pesky coating from your gold so you can see it for what it is. This is an inexpensive and yet very efficient way to get more gold out of your materials. The actual process is not hard to do if you follow a few simple steps as outlined below.

1: Classify: Screen your black sand materials down to uniform sizes. I like to take them down to a 20 mesh to start with. This just makes sure you don't have any really big chunks in the mix. Anything that's is larger than 20 mesh you can crush up and re-screen later.

2: Crush: Take the sands and crush/grind them as fine as you can get them. This will help to loosen up some of the coating and in some cases will remove it entirely. I've tried several methods of doing this step and all of them worked to some degree. Mortar and pestle will work but is a lot of work even on small batches. An electric coffee grinder will also do the job but the blades on them wear out VERY quickly. I have settled in at this time to using my ore crushing tube but that's just until I can get my hands on a small ball mill to try out. The impacting of the materials will do a couple of things for you. First of course is that it will turn your materials into dust in short order. Second is that because gold is very malleable small pieces will get flattened out so you can spot them in the pan easier. Once you have the materials crushed down to around 100 mesh you are ready to move onto the next step.

3: HEAT: There are any number of ways to do this step but let me say right off that it should always be done OUTDOORS!!! In many areas of the country, mercury was used to process fine gold. Many of the old timers were not what we would call safety minded when it came to using mercury. It's not uncommon in areas like the gold rush country of California (as well as many other places) to find bits of gold that have mercury on them. Mercury vapor is NASTY STUFF and will cause you all kinds of health problems. It doesn't take much of it for it to damage you beyond a doctors ability to fix ya up. As a trained lab tech, I'm used to handling some pretty nasty stuff and I treat mercury with kid gloves. (Ok... Safety Nazi speech over for now)

The object of this step is to heat your materials up to as high a temperature as possible. The hotter the better!!! What ever heat source you decide on using, just make sure it can be safely used outside. Camp stoves, hot plates, old BBQ setups etc can all be used. Even those charcoal starter chimney things can be used very effectively. As far as a container to hold your materials in goes, anything that will be able to handle the temperature of your heat source will do. I've used old metal gold pans as well as cast iron skillets. Gold pans will allow your materials to heat up faster, but skillets have a handle on them which comes in handy at times. It's also a nice thing to have one of those infrared laser thermometers on hand to check the temp of your materials. Just about any temp over 450 degrees F will do. Also remember that there are other things in some areas that give off some nasty stuff when heated. It's always a good idea to stay well up wind while everything is getting hot.

4: Quenching: This is where the magic takes place. By heating the materials up we have caused them to expand. By quenching them in cold liquid we shrink them back to normal size at a very rapid rate. The coating on the gold can not handle this rapid contraction ans will crack off of the gold at this stage. On your quenching bath you have a couple of options to choose from. Both require ice to cool them off but have different ways of applying the ice which I'll explain in a moment. Your first option is to use good old ice water. Nothing fancy here at all. A coffee can or small bucket will work fine. Just throw in a trays worth of ice to get it as cold as possible and your set. Another option for your quenching bath is to mix salt and vinegar together. Vinegar is a mild acid and by mixing salt with it you produce Sodium acetate. ( I add salt until the vinegar will not dissolve any more of it) The mixing should be done outdoors as it will give off a very small amount of chlorine gas. As long as you stay upwind, keep small children and animals away from the area it's not enough gas to really worry about. But here is where method of chilling your bath changes. You don't want melting ice to dilute the sodium acetate mix so you need to place the ice into a zip-lock style plastic bag. It will take a little longer to chill the bath but you won't dilute it. you can also chill it by placing the container into a larger container that is filled with ice.

Now that you've got your quenching bath all set up and your materials are nice and hot. it's time to put the safety glasses on and then pour the hot materials into the bath. It's going to go snap, crackle and pop like a bowl of Rice Crispies on steroids when you pour them in and that's what you want. If you're using a plain water quench, you can drain off the water and start panning the materials down in small batches. Sodium acetate users can allow the mixture to sit over night if they wish as the SA mix will also clean the gold very well.

5: Clean up: Now that everything has been processed with heat and cold you can start cleaning your materials up in what ever way you see fit. If you have access to a Miller table that's great as the fine texture of the materials will work very well with that type of setup. If you're panning it down, keep it to small amounts at a time. Do your best panning, tap the pan, swirl the water etc. As fine as the gold in these materials is, I STRONGLY suggest that you use a surfactant like jet-dri or regular dish soap in your panning water to keep the fine gold from floating on the surface. Once you've gotten the gold separated to one side you can suck it right up. I like to use a pipette for this stage because it won't suck up massive amounts of black sands as well as your gold.

This is a very effective method of getting a good portion of that super fine gold that you may have been missing out of your materials. There are other methods that will allow you to get even more gold out, but they require using some dangerous materials like Mercury, Cyanide or Aqua Regina and should not be tried without proper training in the handling of these materials as well as a full on lab setup and safety gear which most people just don't have sitting around the shop.

G.I.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you include a pic of the ore crushing tube and an explanation of how to make/get one, use it, etc?

Also, do you SnB your magnetic heavies too or just toss em?

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you I tried yesterday didn't find anything but I have plenty BS

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
<snip> but I have plenty BS

So does everyone else here, so you'll fit right in!:laughing7:

Kidding, of course. Haven't tried this yet, but am saving
up the BS's to try it at a later date.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again buddy! IMG_447472756197708.jpeg

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for post ! Have saved up a bunch of the black sands, but never attempted the s&b... if I don't get up to gold country this weekend I just might have to try it out...

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for post ! Have saved up a bunch of the black sands, but never attempted the s&b... if I don't get up to gold country this weekend I just might have to try it out...
You can always leave that worthless stuff with me! Lol Let's have a bs cookout next Bazookafest!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you include a pic of the ore crushing tube and an explanation of how to make/get one, use it, etc?

Also, do you SnB your magnetic heavies too or just toss em?

Hey Kevin,

You know what a hassle I have to go through to get pictures posted. I could draw up some plans for the ore crusher and post them if you're rally interested. It would be a lot faster than trying to do pictures with my POS phone camera.

I done the S&B on magnetics but have yet to find any visible gold in any of the batches I've run. Now that doesn't mean that there's no gold to be had from them, just that I haven't found any myself. This could be because when I clean out my magnetics, I am very careful in how I do it. I NEVER touch the magnet to the materials. Instead I let the magnetic field tease the magnetic materials out of the pile. Once I have a magnet full I dump it into a clean section of the pan and then tease the iron out again. This is all done under water. Before storing the magnetics I dry them out and then tease them once more. ( I know... I'm SUCH a tease!)

Now for some interesting things I discovered while doing testing to refine this process. Keep in mind that all samples had been cleaned twice before and even shake and baked but without crushing. These experiments showed me just how important crushing the materials as fine as you can get them is.

Using 200 gram samples (+/- .02 grams) I crushed the materials down to 100 mesh in my tube. While crushing I got a lot of dust that looked like powdered rust. When I rinsed the samples out in my panning station the water instantly turned rust red. I then took my magnet to them again using the teasing method to remove any magnetic materials. To my surprise I got a LOT more iron removed from the samples. I dried out the magnetics and I averaged about 40 grams more iron removed out of a 200 gram sample. (Remember that "highly mineralized" Arizona soil?) That works out to 20% more magnetics removed from the materials. The only reason I can think of that they were not removed before was that they were attached to pieces of whatever that were too heavy for the magnet to pick up. Once they were separated the magnet was able to pick them out of the materials with no problem. All of the newly removed magnet material was talcum powder fine. (BTW... I didn't weigh the samples without the magnetics to figure out how much was turned into that "Rust dust".)

I'll try to get the plans for the ore crushing tube done up today, but no promises.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you I tried yesterday didn't find anything but I have plenty BS

You've also got a lot of mineralization in your area so this should work well for you. I've run batches that I haven't found anything in but had the next one loaded with micro gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No need for formal plans, a simple description of the crushing tube may be enough. I googled "ore crushing tube" and got zilch.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They're actually really simple to build. All you need is an 18" length of 3 to 4 inch pipe a 5 ft X 1-1/2" steel bar and some 1/2-3/4 plate steel and access to a welder, cutting torch and grinder. Don't use cast iron for the pipe as it's too brittle as well as a major pain to weld.

First cut yourself a 12" X 12" piece of the plate steel. This will be your base. Center and weld the pipe to the plate. Make sure you get good penetration. Next cut and grind a round piece from the plate that will just fit inside the pipe. You don't want it to tight or too sloppy. Maybe 1/32 inch clearance all the way around. Now center and weld that piece to the end of the 5 ft steel bar. Dress the other end like you would a chisel. 45 Degree chamfer about 1/16" wide. You can paint it if you wish, but DO NOT paint the inside of the tube or the striking surfaces of the bar. You're done now so go crush up some samples. The smaller end will concentrate the force into a smaller area and will break up larger rocks faster than the large end will. Not only will this work to crush up ore samples on a small scale, but it's also a good workout for the arms and chest.

Oh... Keep a hammer handy to tap out any material that gets packed into the bottom of the tube. A couple of taps and it will come right out. you can pour from the tube right into your classifier but I wouldn't suggest allowing the tube to sit on the screening.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a crushing tube. I will post pics tomorrow.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah, ok, I get it...a bad a$$ version of a mortar and pestle, cool!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick and dirty method : Any ranch supply store will have a T-Post driver and a tamp that should fit inside perfectly.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
homemade crushing pipe

crusherpipe 1.JPG

crusherpipe 1 6.JPG

crusherpipe 12.JPG

crusherpipe 11.JPG

crusherpipe 13.JPG

crusherpipe 15.JPG

crusherpipe 14.JPG

The base is 1" steel. The pipe is 3" outer diameter. The pipe is 17" tall and the crusher is a old scrap truck axle with the wheel flange ground off to fit the pipe. Put the ore in the pipe and pound with the axle. Rudimentary, but it works!

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, I'm convinced, gotta make one of those :)

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL... Bill... ya gotta stop liking everything I post on here! Robi is starting to get jealous here man!
She is one lucky gal to have such a likable guy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread